- Basin Plan Start
- Basin Plan Documents
- Aquatic Ecosystem Restoration Policy
- Dissolved Oxygen Amendment
- Editorial Amendments
to Basin Plan
- Mixing Zone Policy
- OWTS Policy
- Stream and Wetlands System Protection
- Temperature Amendment
- Triennial Review
- WQO Update Amendment
Temperature Policy Amendment
Amendment to the Water Quality Control Plan for the North Coast Region to Establish a Policy for the Implementation of Temperature Objectives and Establish Implementation Plans for the Eel, Mattole, and Navarro TMDLs
- Notice of Public Hearing Date
Policy for Implementation of the Water Quality Objectives for Temperature
and Action Plans to Address Temperature Impairments in the Mattole, Navarro, and Eel River Watersheds
- Notice of Availability of Documents
North Coast Regional Water Quality Control Board (Regional Water Board) staff is proposing Basin Plan revisions that will add a policy to implement the water quality objective for temperature. The amendment will also add additional action plans to implement total maximum daily loads for temperature in the Navarro, Eel, and Mattole watersheds. The proposed revisions to the Basin Plan include changes to Chapter 4 - Implementation Plans.
Note: The Regional Water Board directed staff to prepare an amendment incorporating a temperature implementation policy into the Basin Plan by adoption of resolution R1-2012-0013.
The proposed Basin Plan amendment will describe the approach to implementing the interstate water quality objective for temperature in one cohesive policy. It will identify the regulatory mechanisms staff will employ to ensure achievement of the water quality objective for temperature, it will describe the significance of stream shade as a factor determining stream temperatures, and it will direct staff to address temperature concerns through existing authorities and processes.
The proposed Basin Plan amendment will also establish implementation plans for the Navarro, Mattole, Upper Main Eel, Middle Main Eel, Lower Eel, Middle Fork Eel, North Fork Eel, and South Fork Eel River temperature total maximum daily loads.
The Regional Water Board considered the Policy and Action Plans at a public hearing during the Regional Water Board's November 20, 2013 meeting in Santa Rosa, California. The Regional Water Board deferred action at that time and directed staff to define the term "site potential effective shade" and clarify the concept, with particular discussion of how the concept is applied and assessed. Staff have developed additional material in response to the Regional Water Board's direction, which are now available for review.
- Resolution No. R1-2014-0006
- Attachment 1 - Revised Policy Language
- Attachment 2
- Attachment 3
- Attachment 4
- Summary of Proposed Changes
- Revised Staff Report
There is no public comment period associated with the additional materials, however interested parties can provide comment at the March 13, 2014 public hearing.
Public Review Draft Staff Report Supporting the Policy for the Implementation of the Water Quality Objectives for Temperature and Action Plan to Address Temperature Impairment in the Mattole River Watershed, Action Plan to Address Temperature Impairment in the Navarro River Watershed, and Action Plan to Address Temperature Impairment in the Eel River Watershed, August 30, 2013. (Public Review Draft Staff Report)
Individual Sections of the Public Review Draft Staff Report for ease of downloading:
- 1.0 Title Page, Table of Contents, and Introduction
- 2.0 Analysis of Temperature
- 3.0 Temperature Water Quality Objectives
- 4.0 Interpretation and Implementation of the Water Quality Objectives for Temperature
- 5.0 Regional Policy to Implement the Water Quality Objectives for Temperature
- 6.0 Action Plans to Address Temperature Impairments in the Mattole, Navarro, and Eel River Watersheds
- 7.0 Description of Surveillance Activities
- 8.0 Environmental Setting
- 9.0 California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) Environmental Analysis
- 10.0 Economic Analysis
- 11.0 Public Participation
- 12.0 References Cited
- Appendix 1: Response to Peer Review Comments on Draft Policy to Implement the Water Quality Objectives for Temperature
Draft Basin Plan Amendment Language:
- Policy to Implement the Water Quality Objectives for Temperature
- Action Plans to Address Elevated Water Temperatures in the Mattole, Navarro, and Eel River Watersheds
The Draft Policy above incorporates Resolution R1-2012-0013, which was adopted on January 19, 2012, and is not subject to comment.
- Resolution R1-2012-0013: Policy Statement for Implementation of the Water Quality Objective for Temperature in the North Coast Region
For information, comments, or questions concerning the Temperature Policy Amendment please contact Bryan McFadin at 707-576-2751 or Bryan.McFadin@waterboards.ca.gov
We encourage users interested in the Temperature Amendment and other basin planning issues to subscribe to the Basin Planning email list here.
If you would like to be added to the hard-copy mailing list, please contact:
Bryan McFadin at 707-576-2751 or
5550 Skylane Blvd, Suite A,
Santa Rosa, California, 95403.
Updated February 28, 2014