Financial Assistance Programs – Grants and Loans
Proposition 84 Storm-Water Grant Program
The Public Resources Code (PRC) requires that the Proposition 84 Storm-water Grant Program (SWGP) funds be used to provide matching grants to local public agencies for the reduction and prevention of storm water contamination of rivers, lakes, and streams. The Legislature may enact legislation to further define this grant program. Assembly Bill (AB) No.739 (Statutes 2007, Chapter 610) was chaptered on October 13, 2007, and further defines the Proposition 84 SWGP.
AB 739 requires the development of project selection and evaluation guidelines for the Proposition 84 SWGP, and provides additional information regarding types of projects eligible for funding. AB 739 also requires creation of a Stormwater Advisory Task Force that will provide advice to the State Water Board on its Storm-water Management Program that may include program priorities, funding criteria, project selection, and interagency coordination of State programs that address storm water management.
- The SWGP Planning and Monitoring Funding List was adopted at the July 17, 2012 State Water Board meeting (Resolution).
- The SWGP Implementation Round 1 Funding List was adopted at the October 3, 2012 State Water Boad meeting (Resolution) and included two lists of projects: 1) the Approved Funding List, and 2) the Projects Pending Approval List. The Projects Pending Approval were those that staff recommend for funding only if the applicant made specific changes to the project or provided information to address specific questions regarding the project. The projects that staff recommended for funding from the Projects Pending Approval List were approved by DFA's Deputy Director on December 28, 2012 (Letter).
- Round 2 Funding Information and Anticipated Schedule
|Eligible Applicants:||Local Public Agencies|
|Eligible Project Types:||Projects designed to reduce and prevent storm-water contamination of rivers, lakes, and streams.|
|Funding Available:||Approximately $82 million; $9M for Planning, $42M for Implementation Round 1 and $31M for Implementation Round 2|
|Funding Source:||Proposition 84|
|Loans or Grants:||Grants|
|Applications:||Planning and Monitoring: Awarded
Round 1: Awarded
Round 2: To Be Determined
Division of Financial Assistance
- Proposition 84 Storm-water Grant Program Guidelines – Adopted February 17, 2009
- SWGP Planning and Monitoring – Workshop for New Grantees Presentation (08/29/12)
- SWGP Implementation Full Proposal Workshop Presentation and Recording
- SWGP Implementation Full Proposal BUDGET TABLE is provided in Excel format.
- The Division compiled frequently asked questions (FAQs) that were asked during the applicant workshops in November and December 2011, emailed to the Division, or from phone conversations with potential applicants. See the FAQs.
- U.S. EPA Green Infrastructure Management Homepage
- Assembly Bill (AB) No. 739 (Statutes 2007, Chapter 610)
- Examples of Previously Funded Low Impact Development (LID) Projects
The projects are provided as examples of LID projects funded under various State Water Board programs, and the specific projects shown may not be eligible for the Proposition 84 SWGP.
- USEPA Low Impact Development (LID) "Barrier Busters" Fact Sheet Series.
- See older reference material on the Archive page.
- Proposition 84 SWGP Round 1 Funding List
- Full project descriptions can be found on the FAAST Public Search Tool