Agricultural Regulatory Program - Agricultural Order Renewal 4.0 (In Progress)
You can receive irrigated ag program updates by e-mail.
Subscribe online: Agricultural Discharges
Information on this web page relates to the renewal of the Agricultural Order adopted by the Central Coast Water Board on March 8, 2017. This is a three-year Agricultural Order which must be replaced by March 7, 2020. The current Agricultural Order is the third Agricultural Order adopted in the central coast region, so is referred to as Ag Order 3.0. Information provided in this page relates to the development and documentation of the fourth Agricultural Order (Ag Order 4.0). For information on the Water Board’s implementation of the current Order (Ag Order 3.0) and what growers need to do to comply with the updated requirements, please go to the Water Board’s main Agricultural Regulatory Program web page.
Ex Parte Disclosure Requirements
This item is subject to the ex parte communication disclosure requirements of Water Code section 13287, as explained in https://www.waterboards.ca.gov/laws_regulations/docs/exparte.pdf. Interested persons who communicate with board members other than at a noticed board meeting or submitted as a comment letter in compliance with the public notice must publically disclose the ex parte communication within seven days of the communication. Section 13287 defines interested persons as dischargers and their representatives/employees; persons with a financial interest in the general order; and representatives acting on behalf of an interest group. A sample disclosure form as well as further explanation of the requirement is available at: https://www.waterboards.ca.gov/centralcoast/publications_forms/forms/docs/central_coast_disclosure.pdf Ex parte communications between interested persons and board members concerning this item will be prohibited beginning 14 days prior to any meeting scheduled for adoption of an order in this matter.
Opportunities for Public Input into the Agricultural Order
Log of Ag Order 4.0 Related Meetings with External Stakeholders
Here is a LOG of Ag Order 4.0 related discussions with external stakeholders. Staff will keep this list up-to-date through the Ag Order 4.0 development process.
Ag Order 4.0 Related Informational Board Meeting Items with Opportunity for Public Comment
The following list provides links to board meeting information for agenda items related to Ag Order 4.0. Staff will keep the list up-to-date through the Ag Order 4.0 development process.
- November 2018
- Staff Report
- Supplemental attachment: Alternative Proposal 1 – Ag Industry Organizations (10/8/2018)
- Staff Presentation
- Strawberry Commission Presentation
- Agricultural Advocates Presentation
- Lowell Zelinski, Precision Ag Consultation Presentation (submitted, not presented)
- KMI public comment letter
- Agricultural Community letter dated 11/5/18
- September 2018: See agenda item 6 - Ag Order 4.0 Stakeholder Workshop
- Staff Report
- Presentation: Staff Introductions Day One; Day Two ( see slide 7)
- Presentations: Agricultural Panel
- Presentation: Environmental Advocate Panel
- Presentation: Creeklands Conservation for People, Ag and Wildlife Panel
- Presentation: Environmental Justice Advocates Panel
- Presentation: Agricultural/Environmental Partnerships for Improving Water Quality Panel
- June 2018: See agenda item 11 - Eastern San Joaquin River Watershed Agricultural Order – Update
- June 2018: See agenda item 12 - Healthy Soils Projects, Composting and Gleaning Crops
- May 2018: See agenda item 8 - Groundwater Quality Conditions and Agricultural Discharges in the Central Coast Region
- Staff Report
- Presentation: Groundwater Quality Conditions and Nitrate Impacts to Groundwater in Agricultural Areas
- Presentation: Current Nitrogen Loading Based on Total Nitrogen Applied Information and Nitrogen Loading from Irrigation Water
- Presentation: Pesticides in Groundwater
- Presentation: Santa Clara Valley Water District - Regional Groundwater Quality Monitoring Program
- Presentation: 2018 Program Update (Central Coast Groundwater Coalition)
- Presentation: California Nitrogen Assessment – Direct Drivers of California’s Nitrogen Cycle
- Presentation: Irrigation Technology and Best Management Practices
- Presentation: Use of Lysimeters to Monitor Nitrogen Below the Root Zone
- Presentation: Using Lysimeters to Evaluate Subsurface Nitrogen
- March 2018: See agenda item 4 - Surface Water Quality Conditions and Agricultural Discharges in the Central Coast Region
- Staff Report
- Presentation: Surface Water Quality Conditions
- Presentation: Riparian and Wetland Habitat
- Presentation: Waste Discharges and Surface Water Quality in Agricultural Areas
- Presentation: Modeling Pesticide Application Data, Predicting Risk to Water Quality and Prioritizing Pesticides to Monitor at the Watershed Level
- Presentation: Current Pesticide Occurrences and Trends in Surface Water of the Central Coast Region
- Presentation: Toxicity and Pesticide Trends in Surface Waters of the Central Coast. Test Organism Sensitivity to Currently Applied Pesticides
- Presentation: CMP Monitoring Results – Status & Trends
- Presentation: Neonicotinoid Insecticides and Water Quality
- February 2018: See agenda item 17 - Update on Erosion/Sedimentation Cases at Elkhorn Road and Discussion of Erosion/Sedimentation Issues on Agricultural Lands
- December 2017: See agenda item 16 – Nutrient Budgeting and Irrigation Management
- September 2017: See agenda item 16 – Update on Agricultural Order 4.0
- November 2018: See agenda item 5 - Agricultural Order 4.0 Requirement Options
Public Scoping Meetings – Listening Sessions
Listening Sessions, August 2017: The Central Coast Water Board held public listening sessions on the development of the new Agricultural Order at three regional locations in August of 2017. Links to the scoping meeting flyer and scoping meeting presentations are provided below:
- Link to Flyer (English)
- Link to Scoping Meeting Presentation
- 2018 Sustainable Ag Expo - Central Coast Water Board staff presentation: Presentation
May 25, 2018 – The release of the draft Environmental Impact Report (EIR) is planned for August 2019, which is concurrent with the planned release of the draft Ag Order 4.0. The release of the final EIR is planned for February 2020, which is also concurrent with the planned release of the final Ag Order 4.0. Please note these dates represent a later time frame than was presented in the March 2018 CEQA scoping meeting presentations.
March 20 – March 29, 2018, CEQA scoping meetings
- Draft notes: These notes are real time transcriptions and may contain shorthand, abbreviations, and typographical errors due to nature of live note taking. Staff has not edited or modified these notes. These notes were projected during each of the meetings.
February 16, 2018
- Notice of CEQA scoping public workshops for Agricultural Order 4.0. Please see notice for more details.
- Initial Study for Agricultural Order 4.0 Public review and comment period for the Initial Study is from February 16, 2018 to April 30, 2018. Please see Initial Study for more details.
- Fact Sheet - Development of the Agricultural Order for Discharges from Irrigated Lands (Ag Order 4.0)
Please contact Shanta Keeling at 805-549-3464 or Shanta.Keeling@waterboards.ca.gov for questions regarding CEQA.