For Growers - Do I need to be in the Program?

All commercial irrigated lands, including nurseries and managed wetlands, are required to obtain regulatory coverage. Regulatory coverage is not required if a property is not used for commercial purposes, or if commercial irrigated lands are covered under the Dairy Program. Options for regulatory coverage include joining a coalition group, obtaining coverage as an individual grower under general WDRs, or obtaining an Individual Permit. The coalition groups work directly with their member growers to assist in complying with requirements by conducting monitoring and preparing regional plans to address water quality problems.

Failure to obtain regulatory coverage may result in the Central Valley Water Board assessing an administrative civil liability against you. Administrative civil liability can run as high as $1,000 per day for every day of violation. Irrigated Lands staff is available to assist you in obtaining the proper regulatory coverage. You can contact Irrigated Lands staff by e-mail at, or by phone at (916) 464-4611.