Welcome to the State Water Resources Control Board Welcome to the California Environmental Protection Agency
Governor's Website Visit the Water Board Members Page
My Water Quality
Performance Report
Underground Storage Tank Program - Finding a Consultan

Underground Storage Tank Program - Finding a Consultant

The phone directory is a good source for names and addresses of consultants but it may not be the best one. Environmental consultants are listed in the yellow pages of your telephone book or you can also search the Environmental Yellow Pages on the internet. They are commonly listed under "Environmental Consultants", "Geologists", “Geological Consultants”, or “Environmental Cleanup”. The State Water Board does not endorse or warranty the work performed by these companies.

You should consider soliciting bids from several consultants. Be sure that the consultant includes in the proposal the experience and qualifications of the people who will be doing the work. In California, reports of site investigation and cleanup activities must be signed and stamped by a California registered Civil Engineer, Geologist or Engineering Geologist.

It’s worth your while to ask other UST owners and operators about consultants they have hired. Many consultants can provide references to previous customers upon your request. Talk to previous customers to find out if they were satisfied with the work of prospective consultants. Ask them whether or not they were satisfied with the consultant’s expertise, technical and regulatory skills, promptness, client relations, etc.

Links to Controlling UST Cleanup Costs:

  1. Hiring A Contractor
  2. Negotiating the Contract
  3. Interpreting the Bill
  4. Managing the Process
  5. Understanding Contractor Code Words