Financial Assistance Programs – Grants and Loans


The Budget Act of 2016, SB 826, appropriated $15 million from the Cleanup and Abatement Account (CAA) for addressing drought-related drinking water emergencies or threatened emergencies. On July 19, 2016, by Resolution No. 2016-0039, the State Water Resources Control Board (State Water Board) approved the allocation of up to $4 million from the CAA to provide interim emergency drinking water to disadvantaged communities with a contaminated water supply. In summary, a total of $19 million in funding from the CAA is available for disadvantaged communities to address interim emergency drinking water needs due to drought related emergencies or threatened emergencies, and contaminated water supplies.

In an effort to distribute funds as quickly and efficiently as possible, the State Water Board will coordinate with the Regional Water Quality Control Boards, the State Water Board’s Division of Drinking Water (DDW) district offices, the Office of Emergency Services, Department of Water Resources, and other stakeholders (e.g., environmental justice groups, community assistance groups) to identify those communities that are most at risk and require financial assistance.

If you are interested in applying for this funding, please see How to Apply below. If you need additional information, please email: You may also contact us at (916) 319-9066.

Household & Small Water System Drought Assistance (HSWSDA) Program funding available for individual households (Homeowners) or small water systems serving less than 15 connections.

Eligible Entities

  • Public Agencies (that serve disadvantaged communities)
  • Community Water Systems (that serve disadvantaged communities)
  • Not-for-Profit Organizations (that serve disadvantaged communities)
  • Tribal Governments (that serve disadvantaged communities)

Eligible Projects (included, but not limited to)

  • Bottled Water
  • Well Repair, Well Rehabilitation, and Replacement
  • Vending Machines
  • Point of Use Devices (for example, Filtration)
  • Hauled Water
  • Emergency Interties
  • Treatment Systems

How to Apply

To apply for funding, applicants have the following options:

  1. Eligible entities work with their respective local District Office which can assist public water systems by generating funding request memos based on request(s) received from eligible entities. The Local District Office Map displays the district office locations. OR,

  2. Complete the funding application online via the Financial Assistance Application Submittal Tool (FAAST), or

  3. Complete the funding application as a Word document or fillable PDF:
    • Interim Emergency Funding Application (PDF or MS Word)

Submit the completed application via email, fax, CD, or hardcopy to:

Mailing Address:

State Water Resources Control Board
Division of Financial Assistance
Cleanup and Abatement
1001 I Street, 16th Floor
Sacramento, CA 95814

Fax: (916) 341-5707
Phone: (916) 319-9066


Other Drinking Water Program Information and Funding Opportunities

Funded Projects



Contact Information

Kim Hanagan
Senior Water Resource Control Engineer

Mark Fong
Water Resource Control Engineer

Mark Magtoto
Water Resource Control Engineer

Alex Huang
Engineering Geologist

Thomas Key
Engineering Geologist