CAA Urgent Drinking Water Need Projects

The State Water Board may use CAA funds to address an urgent drinking water need for a disadvantaged community due to threatened emergencies or a contaminated water supply.

In an effort to distribute funds as quickly and efficiently as possible, the State Water Board will coordinate with the Regional Water Quality Control Boards, the State Water Board’s Division of Drinking Water (DDW) district offices, the Office of Emergency Services, Department of Water Resources, and other stakeholders (e.g., environmental justice groups, community assistance groups) to identify those communities that are most at risk and require financial assistance.

Eligible Entities

  • Public Agencies (that serve disadvantaged communities)
  • A Public School
  • Community Water Systems (that serve disadvantaged communities)
  • Not-for-Profit Organizations (that serve disadvantaged communities)
  • Tribal Governments (that serve disadvantaged communities)

Eligible Projects (included, but not limited to)

  • Provision of interim alternate water supplies when drinking water that meets primary drinking water standards cannot be provided due to a Primary MCL exceedance or surface water treatment rule violation (i.e. nitrate, arsenic, surface water, E. coli, etc.).
  • Improvements or repairs to existing water systems necessary to provide other sources of safe drinking water (i.e. currently the water system is on a boil water notice or there is no water available to meet basic demands), including but not limited to:
    • Establishing of connection(s) to an adjacent public water system;
    • Well Replacement;
    • Consolidation Projects;*
    • Well rehabilitation;
    • Treatment systems;
    • Rented, borrowed or purchased equipment;
    • Design, installation and initial operation costs.

*Simple consolidation projects that do not exceed the maximum cost threshold per connection utilized in the Drinking Water State Revolving Fund program may be funded on a case by case basis.

  • The DFA Deputy Director is authorize, under these Guidelines, to allocate funds (as Grants) for “Programs” implemented by non-profits or Counties, as desired to addressed specific needs on a regional and statewide basis, such as: bottled water, emergency well repair, POU Treatment.

How to Apply

To apply for funding, applicants have the following options:

  1. Eligible entities work with their respective local District Office which can assist public water systems by generating funding request memos based on request(s) received from eligible entities. The Local District Office Map displays the district office locations. or,
  2. Complete the funding application online via the Financial Assistance Application Submittal Tool (FAAST) and select the RFP titled, “Interim Emergency Drinking Water and Drought Related Drinking Water Funding Application”, or
  3. Complete the funding application as a Word document or fillable PDF:
    1. Interim Emergency Funding Application (PDF or MS Word)

Submit the completed application via email, fax, CD, or hardcopy to:
Mailing Address:

State Water Resources Control Board
Division of Financial Assistance
Cleanup and Abatement
1001 I Street, 16th Floor
Sacramento, CA 95814

Fax: (916) 341-5707
Phone: (916) 319-9066

Reference Materials

Other Drinking Water Program Information and Funding Opportunities