CAA Urgent Drinking Water Need Projects
The CAA is supported by court judgments and administrative civil liabilities assessed by the State Water Resources Control Board (State Water Board) and the Regional Water Quality Control Boards (Regional Boards). Water code section 13442 authorizes the State Water Board to utilize CAA funds to address an urgent drinking water need. This includes needs due to drought, contamination, or other eligible emergencies. On December 11, 2018, The State Water Board adopted the Cleanup and Abatement Account Funding Program Guidelines.
- A public agency, including Regional Boards.
- A tribal government that is on the California Tribal Consultation List maintained by the Native American Heritage Commission and is a disadvantaged community (DAC).
- A not-for-profit organization serving a DAC; or
- A community water system that serves a DAC.
Example Eligible Projects (including, but not limited to)
- Provision of interim alternate water supplies, such as bottled or hauled water.
- Emergency improvements or repairs to existing water systems as necessary to provide an adequate supply of domestic water. Improvements or repairs will
typically only be funded if shown to be a more cost-effective interim solution than provision of interim alternate water supplies. Eligible improvements or repairs
include but are not limited to:
- Well rehabilitation or replacement;
- Emergency interties, extension of service, or consolidation projects;
- Treatment systems;
- Rented, borrowed or purchased equipment;
- Design, installation and initial startup costs;
How to Apply
The Deputy Director of the Division of Financial Assistance (DFA) and the Executive Director of the State Water Board are delegated authority to approve up to $500,000 in CAA funds per project, for routine or non-controversial projects. Any non-routine or controversial projects, or CAA approvals exceeding $500,000 per project, will require State Water Board approval.
To apply for funding, applicants have the following options:
- Complete the Urgent Drinking Water Needs Application and submit to DFA-CAA@waterboards.ca.gov. The local DDW District Office can assist public water systems by submitting the application on behalf of a water system.
- Complete the funding application online via the Financial Assistance Application Submittal Tool (FAAST). Select the RFP titled, “Interim Emergency Drinking Water and Drought Related Drinking Water Funding Application”
Submit the completed application via email:
Phone: (916) 319-9066
Funded ProjectsUrgent Drinking Water Needs Map instructions
Project data for Urgent Drinking Water Needs
Summary of Drought and Urgent Drinking Water Needs funding programs
Other Drinking Water Program Information and Funding Opportunities
- State Water Resources Control Board
- Division of Financial Assistance
- California Department of Water Resources
- United States Department of Agriculture
- California Department of Housing and Community Development