CAA Urgent Drinking Water Need Projects
Water code section 13442 authorizes the State Water Board to utilize CAA funds to address an urgent drinking water need for a disadvantaged community. This includes needs due to drought, contamination, or other eligible emergencies.
- A public agency that serves a DAC.
- A tribal government that is on the California Tribal Consultation List maintained by the Native American Heritage Commission and is a DAC.
- A not-for-profit organization serving a DAC; or
- A community water system that serves a DAC.
Example Eligible Projects (included, but not limited to)
- Provision of interim alternate water supplies, such as bottled or hauled water.
- Emergency improvements or repairs to existing water systems as necessary to provide an adequate supply of domestic water. Improvements or repairs will typically only be funded if shown to be a more cost-effective interim solution than provision of interim alternate water supplies. Eligible improvements or repairs include but are not limited to:
- Well rehabilitation or replacement;
- Emergency interties, extension of service, or consolidation projects;
- Treatment systems;
- Rented, borrowed or purchased equipment;
- Design, installation and initial startup costs
How to Apply
The Deputy Director of DFA and the Executive Director of the State Water Board are delegated the authority to approve up to $250,000 in CAA funds per project, for routine or non-controversial projects. Any non-routine or controversial projects, or CAA approvals exceeding $250,000 per project will require State Water Board approval.
To apply for funding, applicants have the following options:
- Complete the funding application online via the Financial Assistance Application Submittal Tool (FAAST). Select the RFP titled, “Interim Emergency Drinking Water and Drought Related Drinking Water Funding Application”, or
- The local DDW District Office can assist public water systems by submitting a funding request memo to the email below, or
Submit the completed application via email:
Phone: (916) 319-9066
- Resolution Template
- District Office Funding Request Memo
- Agreement Template (version June 9, 2015)
- Time Extension Request Form
Other Drinking Water Program Information and Funding Opportunities
- State Water Resources Control Board
- Division of Financial Assistance
- Drinking Water for Schools Grants Program
- Household & Small Water System Drought Assistance (HSWSDA) Funding Program
- California Department of Water Resources
- United States Department of Agriculture
- California Department of Housing and Community Development