Proposition 1 Technical Assistance (TA) Funding Program
Proposition 1 (Prop 1) or the Water Quality, Supply, and Infrastructure Improvement Act of 2014 (Assembly Bill 1471, Rendon) authorized $7.545 billion in general obligation bonds for water projects including surface and groundwater storage, ecosystem and watershed protection and restoration, and drinking water protection. Prop 1 requires the State Water Board to operate a multidisciplinary TA program for small disadvantaged communities, and allows for the State Water Board to fund TA.
Information for Small Disadvantaged Communities with TA Need
Prop 1 Technical Assistance (TA) is available to help small (less than 10,000 people) disadvantaged (median household income [MHI] < 80% statewide MHI) communities develop, fund, and implement Prop 1 eligible drinking water*, wastewater*, storm water**, or groundwater*** capital projects. TA may include project coordination and development, legal assistance, engineering and environmental analysis, and/or leak detection/water audits.
* Demand for Prop 1 drinking water/wastewater TA is extremely high. Not all eligible requests can be accommodated through the Prop 1 TA program. Requests relating to one or more of the following will generally be given priority: systems that are out of compliance or experiencing insufficient water delivery capabilities, extension of service for drought/contamination impacted communities, consolidation projects, systems serving less than 200 connections, and applicants with small or relatively low cost needs that will enable an otherwise complete funding application to move forward. Some requests (including those for assistance with more general drinking water and wastewater capacity development needs, that are outside the context of capital project development – such as, compliance audits, rate studies, technical managerial and financial [TMF] assessments, and board or operator training) may be referred to other TA programs.
** Stormwater TA resources are limited. We are not currently accepting new communities for stormwater TA. However, you may still submit a request if interested, and we will keep your request on file for future consideration as resources allow.
*** Exceptions to provide TA that benefits larger DACs may be considered on a case‐by‐case basis.
For questions regarding technical assistance, please contact Kim Dinh at: Kim.Dinh@waterboards.ca.gov or (916) 341-5729.
Para información en español sobre el programa de asistencia técnica, por favor de contactar a Elvira Reyes: Elvira.Reyes@waterboards.ca.gov or (916) 327-4838.
Approved TA Requests
The Division of Financial Assistance has approved the following Prop 1 TA requests as of June 2018:
In addition to Prop 1 TA, the Division manages a separate program for training and TA to small Public Water Systems. This program is funded by the Drinking Water State Revolving Fund (DWSRF). The Division is not currently assisting any systems under this program.
The State Water Board's Prop 1 TA Funding Plan, adopted on November 4, 2015, outlines the general process to administer Prop 1 TA funds. The office implemented a two-step (Concept Proposal and Full Proposal) continuous solicitation process via the Financial Assistance Application Submittal Tool (FAAST), which closed on June 30, 2016. Eligible recipients include 501(c)(3) non-profit organizations and public universities. Selected TA providers will help with a variety of TA needs, as described in this Summary of Providers and TA Types.
Information for TA Providers
TA Providers, please review and utilize the following resources:
- Procedure Manual (updated February 2017)
- Appendix A - Technical Assistance Work Plan Template
- Appendix B - Request for Time Extension
- Appendix C - Deviation Request Form
- Appendix D - Invoice Template
- Appendix E - Grantee Labor Certification
- Appendix F - Invoice Detail
- Appendix G - Invoice Dispute Notification
- Appendix H - Quarterly Progress Report Template
- Appendix I - Final Project Summary
Concept Proposal Templates:
Full Proposal Templates:
- Attachment 1 - Scope of Work Narrative
- Attachment 2 - Full Proposal Budget Summary
- Attachment 6 - Authorizing Resolution
Questions or Comments
For questions contact:
Senior Water Resource Control Engineer
Division of Financial Assistance