Statewide Toxicity Provisions
The State Water Resources Control Board (State Water Board) will propose Establishment of the Water Quality Control Plan for Inland Surface Waters, Enclosed Bays, and Estuaries of California; and Toxicity Provisions. The Provisions would establish numeric water quality objectives for both acute and chronic toxicity and establish a program of implementation to control toxicity. The Provisions would provide consistent protection of aquatic life beneficial uses in inland surface waters, enclosed bays, and estuaries throughout the state, and protect aquatic habitats and life from the effects of known and unknown toxicants. The Provisions replace the State Water Board's previous proposal to control toxicity, the Draft Toxicity Policy.
Official Documents and Timeline
- Project Timeline (Dates are tentative and subject to change).
|April 11-12, 24 2017||Late Summer 2018||Late Summer 2018, During Public Comment Period||2018 Late Summer 2018, During Public Comment Period||Late Autumn 2018||Early 2019|
|Public Outreach||Public Comment Period Begins||Staff Workshop (Open to Public)||State Water Board Hearing||Public Comment Period Ends||State Water Board Consideration|
- April Outreach Document (Posted 10/03/17)
- April Outreach Presentation (Posted 10/03/17)
- None at this time.
2012 Public Release of Draft Toxicity Policy
Notice of Opportunity for Public Comment, Public Hearing, and Filing for the Policy for Toxicity Assessment and Control - Public Review Draft, June 2012(posted 06/27/12)
- Comments Received
- August 21, 2012 Public Hearing Documents:
- Staff Presentation (posted 10/01/12)
- Policy for Toxicity Assessment and Control Brochure (posted 10/01/12)
Policy for Toxicity Assessment and Control - Public Review Draft, June 2012
Staff Report for Toxicity Assessment and Control - Public Review Draft, June 2012
External Peer Review
External Peer Review for the Draft Policy for toxicity Assessment and Control
The following journal articles are referenced in the TST peer review synopsis.
- Response to TST Peer Review
- Tests for Bioequivalence of Control Media and Test Media in Studies of Toxicity
- Test of Significant Toxicity: a statistical application for assessing whether an effluent or site water is truly toxic
- It is Time for Changes in the Analysis of Whole Effluent Toxicity Data
Test of Significant Toxicity (TST)
Final Whole Effluent Toxicity Test Drive Analysis of the TST - updated December 2011
Toxicity Assessment and Control in California’s Surface Waters (Fact Sheet) - issued August 2011
TST Spreadsheet Tool - BETA VERSION 1.8 (updated 12/31/13)
This spreadsheet tool is being provided to assist interested stakeholders in evaluating their current data using the TST. The user should note that this spreadsheet tool is a developmental beta release. It is subject to change without notice and should not be used for official data interpretation. Please email suggested improvements or corrections to Debra Denton at Denton.Debra@epamail.epa.gov
Notice Draft Policy for Toxicity Assessment and Control Workshop - August 22, 2011 (posted 7/28/11)
Staff Workshop Documents:
- Staff Workshop Presentations:
- Prevailing Comments on the Draft Policy for Toxicity Assessment and Control
- Alternatives to Select Provisions of the Draft Policy for Toxicity Assessment and Control
- Whole Effluent Toxicity Test Drive Analysis of the TST - issued July 2011
- Public Notice and Public Comment Period for the Draft Policy for Toxicity Assessment and Control
Get updates by email regarding the draft Policy for Toxicity Assessment and Control, subscribe online to the “Freshwater Plans and Policies” mailing list.