Recycled Water Research
The State Water Board is working with members of the recycled water community to identify knowledge gaps regarding specific topics in recycled water research, including potable and non-potable applications, to better understand recycled water research funding priorities. The Water Quality, Supply, and Infrastructure Improvement Act of 2014 (2014 Bond Law, Proposition 1) provides grant and low interest financing for water recycling projects. The State Water Board may dedicate up to two percent of the Proposition 1 funding allocated to recycled water, as well as two percent of repayments from Proposition 1 funded water recycling construction loans, to recycled water research and development as set forth in section 79144 of the Water Code. The availability of Proposition 1 funding has provided the State Water Board with the opportunity to continue to advance recycled water research to ensure recycled water is protective of the environment and human health.
- NEW! Request for Proposals (RFPs) have been released for six (6) research studies funded through Grant Agreement No. D1705003. See “Requests for Proposals” tab for more details (September 13, 2019)
The State Water Board awarded Grant No. D1705003 to the Water Research Foundation (WRF). The grant agreement funds research to enhance the scientific understanding of non-potable and potable water reuse in California.. WRF released six (6) Request for Proposals (RFPs) to solicit proposals from interested laboratories to implement the Phase 3 research studies. The RFPs can be found on WRF’s website. Interested parties for RFPs 5047, 5048, and 5049 must submit their proposals to WRF by October 22nd, 2019 at 5:00pm EDT, and parties interested in RFPs 5050, 5051, and 5052 must submit their proposals to WRF by November 5th, 2019 at 5:00 pm EST.
RFPs released on September 11, 2019:
- RFP 5047 – Guidelines for the Demonstration of Pathogen Log Removal Credits in Wastewater Treatment
- RFP 5048 – Integrating Real-Time Collection System Monitoring Approaches into Enhanced Source Control Programs for Potable Reuse
- RFP 5049 – Benefits and Challenges in Pathogen Removal When Blending Advanced Treated Water with Raw Water Upstream of a Surface Water Treatment Plant in DPR
- RFP 5050 – UV/Chlorine AOP in Potable Reuse: Assessment of Applicability, Operational Issues, and Potential By-Products
- RFP 5051 – Geochemical Considerations for Managed Aquifer Recharge (MAR) Implementation in Potable Reuse
- RFP 5052 – Standardizing Methods with QA/QC Standards for Investigating the Occurrence and Removal of Antibiotic Resistant Bacteria/Antibiotic Resistance Genes (ARB/ARGs) in Surface Water, Wastewater, and Recycled Water
The Water Research Foundation uses an online management system for proposal submissions. Included in the Useful Documents section are FAQs and a Proposal Submission Tutorial document. Note: It can take up to 48 business hours to provide credentials to new users.
- Summary Document for the 2015 Recycled Water Research Workshop: Monitoring and Treatment
Performance for Constituents of Emerging Concern
- October 27th and 28th, 2015 Recycled Water Research Workshop: Monitoring and Treatment Performance for Constituents of Emerging Concern
- October 29, 2014 Recycled Water Research Needs Workshop
- 2018 Final Report: Monitoring Strategies for Constituents of Emerging Concern in Recycled Water: Recommendations of a Science Advisory Panel
- Potable Reuse Research Compilation: Synthesis of Findings Final Report, Water Environment & Reuse Foundation 15-01
- Coming Soon: more recycled water research findings
- D1605020: Science Advisory Panel on Constituents of Emerging Concern in Recycled Water
- D1705002: Research to Support the Development of Methods for Quantitative Microbial Risk Assessment (QMRA), Pathogen Monitoring, and Identification and Treatment of Unknown Constituents for Potable Reuse Projects
- D1705003: Research to Advance Potable and Non-Potable Reuse in California
Keep up to date on the Water Boards’ activities: subscribe to one or more email lists and receive announcements and updates by email.
Have a specific question? Please contact: