Water Transfers Program

The Division of Water Rights manages the Water Transfers Program, which involves the temporary and long-term exchange of water within the State of California. Water Transfers covered by Water Code Sections 1725 and 1735 only apply to surface water within the State of California to which the State has jurisdiction over. For more information on Transfers, please consult our "Guide to Water Transfers."


Please Note: Our records room is only available Wednesdays and Fridays to accept hand delivery of transfer petitions or process mail deliveries. Please call 916-341-5300 if you would like to coordinate a drop off time or have additional questions.

Useful Information

Transfer Process Streamlining

Subscribe to our Water Rights Transfers email list to receive notifications and the latest updates. After subscribing, you will need to check your email host for a confirmation email to complete the subscription.

Email Address: (required)

Your Full Name: (required)

(e.g. John Smith)