- State & Regional Water Boards
- Decisions Pending and Opportunities for Public Participation
You can receive updates for the Buckley Road Area TCE Investigation by e-mail Subscribe online HERE
El Consejo Regional de la Costa Central para el Control de Calidad de Agua (Central Coast Regional Water Quality Control Board) está proporcionando esta notificación a propietarios, inquilinos e interesados acerca de nuestra investigación del químico “trichloroethylene”, encontrado en aguas subterráneas en el área de “Buckley Road” en San Luis Obispo. Si desea obtener información en español, póngase en contacto con Hector Hernandez al (805) 542-4641.
Project Description and Background
The Central Coast Regional Water Quality Control Board (Central Coast Water Board) is the lead agency to oversee the investigation of trichloroethylene (TCE) in groundwater in the Buckley Road area, adjacent to the San Luis Obispo County airport (as shown on the map above). The initial investigation area included properties along Buckley Road, Thread Lane (also known as Noll Road), Davenport Creek Road, Evans Road, Angie Lou Lane, Mello Lane, Three Sisters Road, Hidden Springs Road, Edna Road, Windmill Road, Rancho Oaks Drive, Sherpa Ranch Road, and Airport Drive. To date, Central Coast Water Board staff has conducted drinking water well testing of 67 supply wells. Central Coast Water Board staff re-tested 14 selected wells in June through August 2016 and found that TCE concentrations are generally consistent with earlier sampling results. Currently, 13 wells out of the 67 wells tested exceed the drinking water standard for TCE (5 micrograms per liter). The current maximum detected concentration of TCE in a private domestic well is 45 micrograms per liter from a well located on Thread Lane. Based on the distribution of TCE detected in supply wells, Central Coast Water Board staff have focused the primary investigation area to include Thread Lane, Davenport Creek Road, Evans Road, Angie Lou Lane, Mello Lane, and Three Sisters Road, where TCE concentrations are near or above the drinking water standard.
Central Coast Water Board staff required environmental information from several industrial properties on Buckley Road/Thread Lane and from the adjacent airport property. The environmental information and data provided for the industrial properties located on Buckley Road/Thread Lane did not reveal evidence for a source of TCE. Central Coast Water Board staff subsequently began requesting environmental information from San Luis Obispo County for the regional airport property. On June 3, 2016, Central Coast Water Board staff concurred with the County’s workplans for investigating potential sources of TCE on the airport property. The County completed their fieldwork investigation in early September 2016. The results of the soil gas and groundwater investigation indicate that there is no evidence that a source of TCE is present on the airport property. Given the results from the County’s soil gas and groundwater investigations, the next step is for additional investigation and delineation of TCE in the industrial area overlying the highest concentrations of TCE along Thread Lane. Central Coast Water Board staff issued letters requiring work plans from Thread Lane business property owners to conduct additional investigations; the results from those investigations are due May 5, 2017. Additional details on the County’s investigation and the additional investigation requirements for Thread Lane property owners are provided in the section below entitled “Buckley Road Area TCE Investigation Reports and Correspondence”.
Central Coast Water Board staff has created this website to help provide residents with current information. An email subscription (“Lyris”) for the Buckley Road Area TCE Investigation has also been developed to keep interested parties notified of current events (you can subscribe to the email list by clicking the link at the top of this web page underneath the map).
Check for updated information in the “Announcements & Public Notices” and “Buckley Road Area TCE Investigation Reports and Correspondence” section below. The most recent announcements will be at the top of the list. A summary of Central Coast Water Board actions are also available under the “Executive Officer’s Report” in the following section.
Announcements and Public Notices
- December 7, 2016 - Status Update, Buckley Road Area Trichloroethylene Investigation
August 17, 2016 - Field Investigation Update: SLO County Airport Investigation Status
- February 4, 2016 - Public Informational Meeting – Buckley Road Area TCE Groundwater Investigation
- January 5, 2016 - Central Coast Regional Water Quality Control Board - Public Notice - Trichloroethylene (TCE) Groundwater Investigation
- December 24, 2015 - Public Health Department trichloroethene notification letter to residents with polluted wells – Dated December 24, 2015
- December 24, 2015 - County of San Luis Obispo Environmental Health Media Release Regarding Trichloroethene (TCE) in Water Supply Wells near Buckley Road in San Luis Obispo
Buckley Road Area TCE Investigation Reports and Correspondence
2017 THREAD LANE AREA INVESTIGATION
- March 16, 2017 - Water Board 825 Buckley Road Workplan Concurrence
- March 16, 2017 - Water Board 4665 Thread Lane Workplan Concurrence
- March 08, 2017 - Workplan for Subsurface Investigation, 825 Buckley Road
- March 08, 2017 - Workplan for Subsurface Investigation, 4665 Thread Lane
- February 27, 2017 - Water Board 795 Buckley Road Workplan Concurrence
- February 15, 2017 - Workplan for Well Investigation, 795 Buckley Road
- February 06, 2017 - Workplan for Subsurface Investigation, 825 Buckley Road
- February 06, 2017 - Workplan for Subsurface Investigation, 4665 Thread Lane
- January 31, 2017 - Water Board Extension Request Response, 795 Buckley Road
- January 26, 2017 - Results of Soil-Gas Sampling, 825 Buckley Road
- January 10, 2017 - Request for Workplan Submittal Extension, 795 Buckley Road
2016 THREAD LANE AREA INVESTIGATION
- December 21, 2016 - Water Board Extension Request Response, 825 Buckley Road
- December 21, 2016 - Water Board Extension Request Response, 4665 Thread Lane
- December 15, 2016 - Request for Workplan Submittal Extension, 825 Buckley Road
- December 15, 2016 - Request for Workplan Submittal Extension, 4665 Thread Lane
- November 17, 2016 - Water Board Request for Well Investigation 795 Buckley Road
- November 17, 2016 - Water Board Request for Site Investigation, 825 Buckley Road
- November 17, 2016 - Water Board Request for Site Investigation, 4665 Thread Lane
SAN LUIS OBISPO COUNTY REGIONAL AIRPORT INVESTIGATION
- October 10, 2016 - County of San Luis Obispo Airport Groundwater Investigation Report
- September 20, 2016 - County of San Luis Obispo Airport Soil Investigation Report
- May 27, 2016 - County of San Luis Obispo Airport Revised Workplan Submittal Package
- May 13, 2016 - Central Coast Water Board Response to San Luis Obispo County April 15, 2016 Submittals for the Investigation of Trichloroethylene on the Airport Property
- April 15, 2016 - County of San Luis Obispo Airport Workplan Submittal Package
- January 20, 2016 - County of San Luis Obispo Department of Airports Response to Central Coast Water Board staff letter dated November 23rd 2015, requesting information to evaluate for the potential source of TCE.
- November 23, 2015 - Central Coast Water Board staff letter requiring the Airport to submit a workplan for site evaluation.
Executive Officer's Reports for the Buckley Road Area TCE Investigation
Resources for Private Well Owners
- TCE TREATMENT OPTIONS AND SAMPLING RESOURCES FOR PRIVATE WELLS
- Water Treatment Companies and Water Testing Laboratories
- How to Find Certified Products on the NSF and WQA websites
- Search for NSF Certified Drinking Water Treatment Units, Water Filters here
- Residential Water Treatment Devices
- Performance Data Sheets for Registered Residential Water Treatment Device Program
- Testing your Private Domestic Well
- GAMA GeoTracker - General Information for Private Domestic Well Owners
- EPA Test Method 8260 B: Volatile Organic Compounds
- Well Owner's Checklist (County of San Luis Obispo Health Agency - Public Health Department
- HUMAN HEALTH RISK INFORMATION
- County of San Luis Obispo - Public Health Services Web Page Link
- Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessment (OEHHA) - Public Health Goals for Chemicals in Drinking Water
- TCE Fact Sheet: Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATSDR) Division of Toxicology and Human Health Sciences.
- CENTRAL COAST WATER BOARD
- Dean Thomas, Project Manager (for technical questions) firstname.lastname@example.org Phone: 805.549.3690
- Thea Tryon, Cleanup Program Manager (for technical or general questions) email@example.com Phone: 805.542.4776
- John Robertson, Executive Officer (for general questions) firstname.lastname@example.org Phone: 805.549.3140
- Sarah Treadwell, Technical Staff (for general questions) email@example.com Phone: 805-549-3695