401 Water Quality Certification
Most projects requiring 401 Certification fall into two categories:
- Projects involving discharges of dredged or fill material to waters of the United States including wetlands and other water bodies. Such discharges may result from navigational dredging, flood control channelization, levee construction, channel clearing, fill of wetlands for development, or other activities.
These projects involve the removal or placement of soil, sediment, and other materials in or near water bodies and require Corps permits under CWA Section 404. This information sheet concerns this category of activities.
- Projects involving construction of hydroelectric dams, power plants, and other facilities requiring Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) licenses and projects which must secure a State water rights permit. The State Board reviews these projects for certification. For more information on certification of projects seeking FERC licenses and water rights permits, contact:
Division of Water Rights
State Water Resources Control Board
P.O. Box 2000
Sacramento, CA 95812-2000
(916) 341-5300 (information)
(916) 341-5308 (certification team leader)
Please download Instructions for Filling Out the CWA Section 401 Water Quality Certification Application. This will explain how to fill out the 401 application and list additional materials to send in with the application. Most certification application processes are delayed by not having a complete application and necessary information.
For information on Notification requirements and Army Corps of Engineers Nationwide Permits (NWPs) please refer to the CWA Section 401 NWPs
A base fee of $944 is required for all 401 Certification applications. The 401 Fee Calculator describes if additional fees are needed and how they are calculated.
- Parker Barn Bridge Embankment Protection Project, May 20, 2013 - June 10, 2013
- Gavilan College, Gilroy Campus, Water Tank Replacement and Parking Lot C Expansion, May 13, 2013 - June 3, 2013
- Black Road Bridge 51C-031 Replacement May 15, 2013 – June 5, 2013
- Fritch Creek Road Bridge Replacement Project, May 15, 2013 - June 5, 2013
- Temporary Slant Test Well, Marina, CA, April 30, 2013 - May 21, 2013
- City of Solvang Reinforced Vegetated Slope Protection for Critical Facilities: Wastewater Treatment Plant Percolation Ponds and Well 7A, April 22, 2013 - May 13, 3013
Fish Passage Improvement at Crossing 1, Quiota Creek, Santa Barbara County, April 17, 2013 – May 8, 2013
- Platform Holly Power Cable Replacement, April 18, 2013 – May 9, 2013
- Hare Way Culvert Replacement Project, April 9, 2013 - April 30, 2013
- Bullock Storm Drain Repair, March 26, 2013 – April 16, 2013
- Award Homes, West of Fairview Residential Development, March 19, 2013 - April 9, 2013
- Smith Road PM 0.35 Culvert Replacement Project, March 19, 2013 – April 9, 2013
- Paulsen Road at Post Miles 0.32 Culvert Replacement Project, March 19, 2013 – April 9, 2013
- Santana Ranch Project, March 12, 2013 - April 2, 2013
- Tonini Farm and Cattle Ranch Road Crossing, March 7 - March 28, 2013
- Stormwater Infrastructure Improvement Project, March 7 - March 28, 2013
- East Zayante Road PM 6.22 Storm Damage Repair Project, February 26, 2013 – March 19, 2013
- 4835 Hecker Pass (Culvert Repair), February 19, 2013 – March 12, 2013
- Fort Hunter Liggett ECS-TEMP, February 19, 2013 – March 12, 2013
Other Public Notices
Notice of Intent to use FONSI in lieu of Negative Declaration for Santa Barbara Harbor Dredging
Draft Santa Barbara Dredge EA 2010
Please call the Central Coast Regional Board Control Board at (805) 549-3147 for questions on the 401 Program.
Visit the State Board 401 Water Certification Program for further information