401 Water Quality Certification
Most projects requiring 401 Certification fall into two categories:
- Projects involving discharges of dredged or fill material to waters of the United States including wetlands and other water bodies. Such discharges may result from navigational dredging, flood control channelization, levee construction, channel clearing, fill of wetlands for development, or other activities.
These projects involve the removal or placement of soil, sediment, and other materials in or near water bodies and require Corps permits under CWA Section 404. This information sheet concerns this category of activities.
- Projects involving construction of hydroelectric dams, power plants, and other facilities requiring Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) licenses and projects which must secure a State water rights permit. The State Board reviews these projects for certification. For more information on certification of projects seeking FERC licenses and water rights permits, contact:
Division of Water Rights
State Water Resources Control Board
P.O. Box 2000
Sacramento, CA 95812-2000
(916) 341-5300 (information)
(916) 341-5308 (certification team leader)
Please download Instructions for Filling Out the CWA Section 401 Water Quality Certification Application. This will explain how to fill out the 401 application and list additional materials to send in with the application. Most certification application processes are delayed by not having a complete application and necessary information.
For information on Notification requirements and Army Corps of Engineers Nationwide Permits (NWPs) please refer to the CWA Section 401 NWPs
A base fee of $1,097 is required for all 401 Certification applications. The 401 Fee Calculator describes if additional fees are needed and how they are calculated.
- Toro Street Stream Bank Stabilization Project, November 27, 2013 - December 18, 2013
- Van Gordon Creek Restoration Project, November 14, 2013 - December 5, 2013
- Neary Lagoon Storm Drain Improvement Project, October 23, 2013 - November 13, 2013
- Pajaro River Mouth Sandbar Breaching, October 18, 2013 - November 8, 2013
- Salinas River Bridge Widening, October 18, 2013 - November 8, 2013
- Lakeview Estates Road Grading Project, October 16, 2013 - November 6, 2013
- Piedras Blancas Realignment Project, September 19, 2013 - October 10, 2013
- Tajiguas Creek Fish Passage, September 11, 2013 - October 2, 2013
- Branciforte Creek Flood Control Channel Maintenance Activities, September 4, 2013 – September 25, 2013
- Sediment Removal at State Route 1, Santa Cruz County, September 4, 2013 – September 25, 2013
- Casmalia Mineral Fee Remediation Project, 2014 Features, September 4, 2013 – September 25, 2013
Other Public Notices
Notice of Intent to use FONSI in lieu of Negative Declaration for Santa Barbara Harbor Dredging
Draft Santa Barbara Dredge EA 2010
Please call the Central Coast Regional Board Control Board at (805) 549-3147 for questions on the 401 Program.
Visit the State Board 401 Water Certification Program for further information