- State & Regional Water Boards
- Decisions Pending and Opportunities for Public Participation
401 Water Quality Certification
Most projects requiring 401 Certification fall into two categories:
- Projects involving discharges of dredged or fill material to waters of the United States including wetlands and other water bodies. Such discharges may result from navigational dredging, flood control channelization, levee construction, channel clearing, fill of wetlands for development, or other activities.
These projects involve the removal or placement of soil, sediment, and other materials in or near water bodies and require Corps permits under CWA Section 404. This information sheet concerns this category of activities.
- Projects involving construction of hydroelectric dams, power plants, and other facilities requiring Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) licenses and projects which must secure a State water rights permit. The State Board reviews these projects for certification. For more information on certification of projects seeking FERC licenses and water rights permits, contact:
Division of Water Rights
State Water Resources Control Board
P.O. Box 2000
Sacramento, CA 95812-2000
(916) 341-5300 (information)
(916) 341-5308 (certification team leader)
Please download Instructions for Filling Out the CWA Section 401 Water Quality Certification Application. This will explain how to fill out the 401 application and list additional materials to send in with the application. Most certification application processes are delayed by not having a complete application and necessary information.
A $600 deposit should accompany dredge and fill applications except for projects qualifying for a flat fee category. Projects that qualify for a flat fee should be remitted with a portion of the flat fee. The 401
Fee Calculator* describes if additional
fees are needed and how they are calculated.
*Be aware that this file may take several minutes to download.
- Green Valley Road Bridge Abutment Repair, September 22, 2016 - October 13, 2016
- Mud Hole #1, September 22, 2016 - October 13, 2016
- Mud Hole #2, September 22, 2016 - October 13, 2016
- Milpitas Maneuver Trail Complex, September 22, 2016 - October 13, 2016
- Base of Bald Mountain, September 22, 2016 - October 13, 2016
- Monterey Gipetti Residential Development, September 15, 2016 - October 6, 2016
- Brown Rd/Point Sal Rd Culvert Repair, September 7, 2016 - September 28, 2016
- MMI Royal Oaks Culvert Repair, September 7, 2016 - September 28, 2016
- East Cat Canyon Oil Field Redevelopment Project, September 1, 2016--September 22, 2016
- Gutierrez Street Bridge Replacement Project, September 1, 2016--September 22, 2016
- De La Guerra Street Bridge Replacement Project, September 1, 2016--September 22, 2016
Other Public Notices
- Final CWA Section 401 Water Quality Certification for the Salinas River Stream Maintenance Program
Final Certification showing changes to the July 1, 2016 Draft Certification
Staff Response to Public Comments on the July 1, 2016 Draft Certification
Please call the Central Coast Regional Board Control Board at (805) 549-3147 for questions on the 401 Program.
Visit the State Board 401 Water Certification Program for further information