401 Water Quality Certification
Most projects requiring 401 Certification fall into two categories:
- Projects involving discharges of dredged or fill material to waters of the United States including wetlands and other water bodies. Such discharges may result from navigational dredging, flood control channelization, levee construction, channel clearing, fill of wetlands for development, or other activities.
These projects involve the removal or placement of soil, sediment, and other materials in or near water bodies and require Corps permits under CWA Section 404. This information sheet concerns this category of activities.
- Projects involving construction of hydroelectric dams, power plants, and other facilities requiring Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) licenses and projects which must secure a State water rights permit. The State Board reviews these projects for certification. For more information on certification of projects seeking FERC licenses and water rights permits, contact:
Division of Water Rights
State Water Resources Control Board
P.O. Box 2000
Sacramento, CA 95812-2000
(916) 341-5300 (information)
(916) 341-5308 (certification team leader)
Please download Instructions for Filling Out the CWA Section 401 Water Quality Certification Application. This will explain how to fill out the 401 application and list additional materials to send in with the application. Most certification application processes are delayed by not having a complete application and necessary information.
For information on Notification requirements and Army Corps of Engineers Nationwide Permits (NWPs) please refer to the CWA Section 401 NWPs
base fee of $1,201 is required for all 401 Certification
applications. The 401
Fee Calculator* describes if additional
fees are needed and how they are calculated.
*Be aware that this file may take several minutes to download.
- Price Canyon Road Widening Project Phase II, August 18, 2014 - September 8, 2014
- Point Arguello Pipeline Company Dig Site Project, August 18, 2014 - September 8, 2014
- Toad Creek Cleanup Project, August 14, 2014 - September 4, 2014
- Gillie Ranch Bridge and Cate School Crossing Removal, August 8, 2014 - August 29, 2014
- Fort Hunter Liggett TASS Training Center, August 7, 2014 - August 28, 2014
- Ekwill Street and Fowler Road Extensions, August 7, 2014 - August 28, 2014
- 9280 Huer Huero Road, Creston, August 6, 2014 - August 27, 2014
- Roberts Ranch Residential Development, July 28, 2014 - August 18, 2014
- Margarita Ranch Tract 2428 Project, July 9, 2014 - July 30, 2014
- Monterey Peninsula Dunes Golf Course Renovation, July 3, 2014 - July 24, 2014
- Bryant Canyon Channel Project, June 27, 2014 - July 18, 2014
- Idle Pipe Removal Project, June 18, 2014 - July 9, 2014
- Protective Sand Berm at Leadbetter Beach, June 18, 2014 - July 9, 2014
- Santa Maria Integrated Waste Management Facility, June 18, 2014 - July 9, 2014
- North Rodeo Gulch 4.75 Stream Bank Stabilzation, May 23, 2014 - June 13, 2014
- Careaga Oil and Gas Stream Crossing Improvement, May 22, 2014 - June 12, 2014
- Laguna County Sanitation District Recycled Waterline, May 22, 2014 - June 12, 2014
- Salinas River Multi-Benefit Demonstration Project, May 22, 2014 - June 12, 2014
- MP 9.09 La Selva Beach Bridge Repair Project, May 13, 2014 - June 3, 2014
- MP 4.87 - Harkins Slough Repair Project, May 13, 2014 - June 3, 2014
- Morro Bay Watershed Road Erosion Prevention Project, May 13, 2014 - June 3, 2014
Other Public Notices
Notice of Intent to use FONSI in lieu of Negative Declaration for Santa Barbara Harbor Dredging
Draft Santa Barbara Dredge EA 2010
Please call the Central Coast Regional Board Control Board at (805) 549-3147 for questions on the 401 Program.
Visit the State Board 401 Water Certification Program for further information