401 Water Quality Certification
Most projects requiring 401 Certification fall into two categories:
- Projects involving discharges of dredged or fill material to waters of the United States including wetlands and other water bodies. Such discharges may result from navigational dredging, flood control channelization, levee construction, channel clearing, fill of wetlands for development, or other activities.
These projects involve the removal or placement of soil, sediment, and other materials in or near water bodies and require Corps permits under CWA Section 404. This information sheet concerns this category of activities.
- Projects involving construction of hydroelectric dams, power plants, and other facilities requiring Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) licenses and projects which must secure a State water rights permit. The State Board reviews these projects for certification. For more information on certification of projects seeking FERC licenses and water rights permits, contact:
Division of Water Rights
State Water Resources Control Board
P.O. Box 2000
Sacramento, CA 95812-2000
(916) 341-5300 (information)
(916) 341-5308 (certification team leader)
Please download Instructions for Filling Out the CWA Section 401 Water Quality Certification Application. This will explain how to fill out the 401 application and list additional materials to send in with the application. Most certification application processes are delayed by not having a complete application and necessary information.
A $600 deposit should accompany dredge and fill applications except for projects qualifying for a flat fee category. Projects that qualify for a flat fee should be remitted with a portion of the flat fee. The 401
Fee Calculator* describes if additional
fees are needed and how they are calculated.
*Be aware that this file may take several minutes to download.
- Corralitos Creek Diversion Bank Repair, April 6, 2015 - April 27, 2015
- Camp Roberts High Water Bridge Repair Project, April 3, 2015 - April 24, 2015
- Stream Monitoring for Jalama Creek and Tributaries, March 19, 2015 - April 9, 2015
- City of Santa Maria Drainage Facilities Maintenance, March 19, 2015 - April 9, 2015
- Route 46 Corridor Improvement Phase 4 Whitley 2B, March 19, 2015 - April 9, 2015
- U.S. Coast Guard Station Monterey Waterfront Repairs, March 11, 2015 - April 1, 2015
- River Terrace Rock Riprap Energy Dissipater, March 5, 2015 - March 26, 2015
- Metrobase Judy K Souza Operations Building, March 5, 2015 - March 26, 2015
- San Lorenzo River Lagoon Interim Management Program, February 25, 2015 - March 18, 2015
- Charles Meyer Desalination Facility Repair and Maintenance, February 25, 2015 - March 18, 2015
- California Solar Flats Project, February 25, 2015 - March 18, 2015
- 13th Street Bridge Replacement, February 18, 2015 - March 11, 2015
- Sleepy Hollow Bridge Replacement, February 9, 2015 - March 2, 2015
- Three Bridges Oak Preserve Trail Project, February 9, 2015 - March 2, 2015
- Lewis Creek Bridge Maintenance, January 29, 2015 - February 19, 2015
- Neary Lagoon Vegetation and Sediment Removal, January 29, 2015 - February 19, 2015
- Kapustiak Residence, January 29, 2015 - February 19, 2015
Other Public Notices
Notice of Intent to use FONSI in lieu of Negative Declaration for Santa Barbara Harbor Dredging
Draft Santa Barbara Dredge EA 2010
Please call the Central Coast Regional Board Control Board at (805) 549-3147 for questions on the 401 Program.
Visit the State Board 401 Water Certification Program for further information