San Pedro Creek and Pacifica State Beach Bacteria TMDL
|San Pedro Creek and Pacifica State Beach are listed on the Clean Water Act 303(d) list of impaired water bodies due to high indicator bacteria levels (e.g., total coliform, fecal coliform, enterococcus, and E. coli). High indicator bacteria levels indicate presence of pathogenic organisms that are found in warm-blooded animal (e.g., human) waste. Pathogens pose potential health risks to people who recreate in contaminated waters. The San Pedro Creek and Pacifica State Beach indicator bacteria TMDL was initiated to address the current impairment of recreational beneficial uses in these water bodies.||
U.S. EPA Approval
- The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency approved the TMDL on August 1, 2013, and the Basin Plan amendment became effective on October 1, 2013. The State Office of Administrative Law approved the Basin Plan amendment for this TMDL on June 24, 2013. (Click here to view approved Basin Plan amendment).
State Water Board Approval Process
- The State Water Board adopted a resolution approving the Basin Plan Amendment for this TMDL at its March 19, 2013 meeting. (Click here to see the adopted State Water Board resolution.)
- Response to comments received by the State Water Board for the San Pedro Creek and Pacifica State Beach Bacteria TMDL
- Comment letters received by the State Water Board for the San Pedro Creek and Pacifica State Beach Bacteria TMDL.
- State Water Board's Notice of Opportunity to Comment for the San Pedro Creek and Pacifica State Beach Bacteria TMDL. Comment Deadline was closed on February 18, 2013. (Click here to view notice).
San Francisco Bay Regional Water Board Adoption Process
- The Water Board adopted the Basin Plan amendment for this TMDL on November 14, 2012
- Notice of Public Hearing and notice of filing a Draft Environmental Document for the San Pedro Creek and Pacifica State Beach Bacteria TMDL. Comment period was closed on October 8, 2012.(Please see below for project documents).
- May 23, 2012: Water Board staff held a public workshop and California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) scoping meeting at the Pacifica Community Center. (click here to view public notice for this meeting).
- Staff Summary Report
- Adopted Resolution with Basin Plan amendment
- Appendix B - Revised Basin Plan amendment
- Final Staff Report (Includes Draft Substitute Environmental Document)
- Appendix D - Response to Comments (Includes Response to Peer Review Comments)
- Appendix E - Comment Letters
- Presentation slides from May 23, 2012, public workshop and California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) scoping meeting
Please Join Our Mailing ListThe Water Board maintains an email notification list for this TMDL. To ensure you receive future information on this TMDL, we encourage you to subscribe to this list. The email list for this project is called: “Pathogens in Pacifica Beaches and San Pedro Creek (San Mateo County).” The instructions for subscribing to the list are provided on the subscriptions page, which you can reach by clicking here.
For more information contact:
San Francisco Bay Region
1515 Clay Street, Suite 1400
Oakland, CA 94612