San Francisco Bay Nutrient Numeric Endpoint Development
San Francisco Bay Water Board staff has embarked on an effort working with the State Water Board, the Southern California Coastal Water Research Program (SCCWRP) and the San Francisco Estuary Institute (SFEI) to develop nutrient numeric endpoints (NNE) for the San Francisco Bay Estuary. This effort is part of a statewide iniative, supported by the U.S. EPA Region IX and the State Water Board, to address nutrient over-enrichment (eutrophication) in State waters, specifically to develop the NNE framework for streams and lakes and for California’s coastal estuaries.
The process for developing nitrogen and phosphorus nutrient criteria for California started in 1998 with the publication of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s National Strategy for the Development of Regional Nutrient Criteria (USEPA, 1998).
The goal of this project is to develop a set of NNEs that can used by the Water Boards in our water quality programs. A stakeholder advisory group (SAG) will help guide the development of the San Francisco Bay Estuary NNE. The effort will also rely on inpu from technical advisors.
Stakeholder Advisory Group (SAG) Meeting Information: Please visit the SF Bay SAG Web Page for meeting agendas, presentations, and reports.
NASA 3-D image of the San Francisco Bay Area
Nutrient Related Background Documents
- U.S. EPA National Strategy for the Development of Regional Nutrient Criteria (1998)
- Technical Approach for Developing Nutrient Numeric Endpoints in California ( July 2006)
- Technical Approach for Developing Nutrient Numeric Endpoints California Estuaries (March 2007)
- U.S. EPA Nutrient Control Design Manual (January 2009)
- New and Improved U.S. EPA Website on Nitrogen and Phosphorus Pollution (July 2011)
Project Technical Reports
- Numeric Nutrient Endpoint Development for SF Estuary: Literature Review and Data Gaps Analysis - June 2011 Final Report
- San Francisco Bay Nutrient Management Strategy - November 2012 Final Report
Data Collection/Loading Studies
- External Nutrient Loads to San Francisco Bay (draft, April 9, 2013)
- BACWA Nutrients Study Group Sampling Plan for Municipal Discharges
- Nutrients Study Sampling and Analysis Plan for Bay Area Refineries
- Water Board Order requiring submittal of information on nutrients in municipal wastewater discharges
- Water Board Order requiring submittal of information on nutrients in petroleum refinery wastewater discharges
- Archive file containing data for all facilities for period July 2012 through March 2013
We have established a San Francisco Bay Stakeholder Advisory Group (SF Bay SAG) to guide the development of the NNE for the Estuary. The purpose of the SF Bay SAG is to advise the Water Board on the science and policy supporting NNE development and specifically to review background policy and technical information, provide stakeholder perspective and input on the NNE process and technical documents.The SAG also advises the Water Board on the selection of experts to be part of the Technical Team and the Scientific Advisory Panel.
- SF Bay SAG Web Page (contains meeting agendas, presentations, reports)
- Online poll concerning SAG facilitation and governance (poll completed)
- Draft Nutrient Strategy for SF Bay
- Bay Area Clean Water Agencies (BACWA) comments on Draft Nutrient Strategy
- Central Costa Costa Sanitary District comments on Draft Nutrient Strategy
- Sacramento Regional County Sanitation District comments on Draft Nutrient Strategy
- State and Federal Contractors Water Agency comments on Draft Nutrient Strategy
To receive email updates about this project, visit our email subscription page and sign up for the "Nutrients in San Francisco Bay" email list.
San Francisco Estuary Technical Team Committee
Technical Team members:
- James Cloern, United States Geological Service – Menlo Park
- Richard Dugdale, Romberg Tiburon Center – San Francisco State University
- Raphael Kudela, University of California at Santa Cruz
- Katharyn Bowyer, Romberg Tiburon Center – San Francisco State University
Initial Meeting December 2, 2010
Meeting #2 February 11, 2011
For more information contact:
San Francisco Bay Regional Water Quality Control Board
1515 Clay Street, Suite 1400
Oakland, CA 94612