- State and Regional
Water Boards' Map
- Board Priorities
- Make a Payment
- Decisions Pending and Opportunities for Public Participation
- CWSRF Home
- DWSRF Home
- Financial Assistance Application Submittal Tool (FAAST)
- Email Subscriptions
- Data & Databases
- Business Help
- Public Records Center
- Grants & Loans
- Customer Service Survey
- File an Environmental Complaint
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Useful Links
- Website Index
Upcoming Regulations for Drinking Water
Regulations in process or planned
- Maximum Contaminant Level (MCL) for 1,2,3-Trichloropropane (1,2,3-TCP): The proposed MCL and associated regulations are available for public comment. Follow this link for more information about 1,2,3-TCP.
- Surface Water Augmentation Using Recycled Water: The regulation package is being prepared and the public comment period is targeted to begin in 2017. Follow this link for more information about the Division of Drinking Water's (DDW's) activities related to recycled water.
- Revised Total Coliform Rule: The draft regulation package is being prepared. The public comment period is anticipated to occur later this year. Follow this link for for the draft revised total coliform regulation and more information about how to comply with the current State and Federal requirements.
- Lead and Copper Rule: The State Lead and Copper Rule will be updated in 2018 to incorporate recent changes made to the federal rule. Follow this link for more information about the Lead and Copper Rule.
- Point of Use/Point of Entry Treatment: Follow this link for emergency regulations that are in effect. Standard regulations are required to be in effect by January 1, 2018.
- Cross Connection Regulations: Work on updating these regulations, which are currently in CCR Title 17, is anticipated to begin soon.
Other active projects related to development or review of regulations
- Perchlorate MCL Review: The MCL for perchlorate is currently undergoing review, to determine whether it should be revised in response to the new public health goal. For more about perchlorate, follow this link.
- Unregulated Contaminants for which Monitoring is Required: DDW staff are gathering information for the development of a new unregulated contaminant monitoring regulation (UCMR). UCMR regulations have been used in the past by California's Drinking Water Program (now DDW) to gather extensive information on the scope and concentration of contaminants of concern prior to proposing drinking water standards for those contaminants.
- Direct Potable Reuse: The report to the Legislature regarding the feasibility of developing Direct Potable Reuse (DPR) criteria was submitted in December 2016. Work continues on DPR. Follow this link for more information.
- MCL Review: To meet requirements of the Health and Safety Code Section 116365(g), each year the State Water Board identifies the MCLs it intends to review. Follow this link for a summary of the most recent review.
Other Regulations of Interest
- Drinking Water Program Fees: Follow this link for more information.
- ELAP Regulations: Public drinking water systems must utilize accredited laboratories for water analyses. Follow this link for more information about regulations for the Environmental Laboratory Accreditation Program.
Upcoming Federal Rules
- Recently Adopted Drinking Water Regulations
- Drinking Water-Related Statutes and Regulations (Law Book)
- Other Information for Public Water Systems
- Division of Drinking Water
For more information, contact Zachary Rounds via email at: Zachary.Rounds@waterboards.ca.gov.
To receive email notices about upcoming drinking water regulations, subscribe to our email lists (Click on the “Drinking Water” section.)