Dredge/Fill (401) and Wetlands Program
Welcome to the Certification and Wetlands Program
This program protects all waters in its regulatory scope, but has special responsibility for wetlands, riparian areas, and headwaters because these waterbodies have high resource value, are vulnerable to filling, and are not systematically protected by other programs. We are involved with protection of special-status species and regulation of hydromodification impacts. The Program encourages basin-level analysis and protection, because some functions of wetlands, riparian areas, and headwater streams - including pollutant removal, flood water retention, and habitat connectivity - are expressed at the basin or landscape level.
Most projects are regulated by the Regional Water Quality Control Boards (Regional Boards). The State Water Resources Control Board (State Water Board) directly regulates multi-regional projects and supports and coordinates the Program statewide.
Subscribe to the CWA401-Certification and Wetlands Program email list to receive updates about Certifications.
- California State Auditor Report 2012-120 that included recommendations to improve the water quality certification program. This summarizes staff responses to the State Auditor's recommendations and will be updated periodically as additional progress is made.
- Preliminary Draft Wetland Area Protection Policy – informational public release only.
- CRAM Peer Review - The CRAM peer review and staff comments have been posted.
- Wetland and Riparian Area Protection Policy (WRAPP) Development
Technical Advisory Team (TAT) Technical Memoranda are now posted under a separate section on the WRAPP web page.
- Fee Increases Effective 9/24/13
The State Water Resources Control Board approved Resolution 2013-0030 authorizing revisions to Core Regulatory Water Quality Fee Schedules. The Dredge and Fill Fee Calculator reflects these approved revisions. Please refer to Item 8 of the September 24, 2013 Board Meeting Minutes.
- Low Impact Development
- Program Regulations
Navigate using the hyperlinks in the Table of Contents, or press Ctrl+F and type in a keyword.
- Program Business Rules
This Table can be used to research a number of “Business Rules” applicable to the 401 Certification Program.
- Staff Directory of the 401 & Wetlands Unit
If you have questions about our program, we invite you to use this directory to call or email our staff at the office in your region.
- Application Form
Use this 401 application form and submit it to the State Water Resources Control Board, Certification and Wetlands Unit, only if proposed project involves two or more Regional Water Quality Control Boards (RWQCB). Otherwise, use the application form of the appropriate RWQCB and submit the completed form to that agency.
- Statewide Wetland and Riparian Area Protection Policy Initiative
- Dredge and Fill Fee Calculator (viewable in Excel)
- Public Notices of Application for Water Quality Certification Proposed Multi-Regional Projects.
- An Evaluation of Compensatory Mitigation Projects Under Clean Water Act Section 401
- Compensatory Mitigation Compliance Monitoring Project, University of California, Los Angeles
- California Department of Fish and Wildlife
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (U.S. EPA)
- California Environmental Resources Evaluation System (CERES)
- U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (HQ Regulatory Program)
- For more information please call us at (916) 341-5506