- State and Regional
Water Boards' Map
- Board Priorities
- Make a Payment
- Decisions Pending and Opportunities for Public Participation
GRANTS AND LOANS
- DFA Home
- Financial Assistance Application Submittal Tool (FAAST)
- CWSRF Home
- DWSRF Home
- Current Funding
- Other Programs
- Past Programs
- Quick Links
- Calendar of Events
- Contact Us
- Sign up for
Drinking Water for Schools Program
|Announcements||SB 828||Funding Information||Proposed Timeline||Contact Information||Reference Material|
Coming Soon: The Division of Financial Assistance is establishing a new grant program to provide funds to improve access to, and the quality of, drinking water in public schools pursuant to Senate Bill 828. This webpage will be updated as the program is developed.
To receive information on the program as it is developed, please sign up on our email list (see contact information below).
Senate Bill 828, in part, added Section 116276 to the Health and Safety Code. It requires that the State Water Board establish a program to award grants to local educational agencies for the purposes of improving access to, and the quality of drinking water in public schools. The program gives priority to:
- Projects for schools within, or serving pupils from, a small disadvantaged community, as defined in Section 13193.9 of the Water Code.
- Projects that have a high effectiveness in increasing access to safe drinking water at schools.
The program shall include, but not be limited to, funding for at least one of the following:
(1) Installation of water bottle filling stations.
(2) Installation or replacement of drinking water fountains with devices that are capable of removing contaminants that are present in the facility's water supply
(3) Installation of point-of-entry or point-of-use treatment devices for drinking fountains, and up to three years of post-installation replacement filters, and operation, maintenance, and monitoring of the devices, including training on how to operate and maintain the treatment devices and community outreach and education about their use.
|Eligible Applicants:||Local educational agencies serving K-12, and pre-school and child day care facilities, located on public property.|
|Eligible Project Types:||TBD|
|Funding Available:||$9.5 million for grants; $0.5 million for technical assistance|
|Fund Source:||General Fund|
|Loans or Grants:||Grants|
|Project Milestones||Estimated Dates|
|Draft Guidelines||February 2017|
|Release of draft Guidelines for review||February 2017|
|Selection of Technical Assistance Provider||March 2017|
|Guidelines Adoption||April 2017|
|Open Solicitation||May 2017|
|Close Solicitation||End of June 2017|
|Review Applications||July/August 2017|
|Final Funding List||September 2017|
|Award Grants||December 2017-March 2018|
|Project Completion||March 2020|
Division of Financial AssistanceSign up for the Drinking Water for Schools email list ("Financial Assistance"; section) to receive updates on this program as it is developed
Drinking Water For Schools Grant Program
1001 I Street
Sacramento, CA 95814
- "Are We Providing Our School Kids Safe Drinking Water? An Analysis of California Schools Impacted by Unsafe Drinking Water" - a report by the Community Water Center and the Environmental Justice Coalition for Water.