Storm Water Program
Phase II Small Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System (MS4) Program
NEW! The Annual Report is now available in SMARTS! The Annual Report is due October 15th of each year and must be submitted via the State Water Board's SMARTS reporting system.
To access the Annual Report please follow these steps:
- Log in using your username and password at: https://smarts.waterboards.ca.gov/smarts/faces/SwSmartsLogin.jsp
- Go to: Main Menu and select Municipal Phase II Permit
- Click 'Active NOIs'
- Open your WDID #
- Click 'Reports' tab
- Go to 'Report Requirement' drop down box and select the Annual Report
- In the 'Report Year' drop down box, select 2013-2014 Reporting Year
- Click 'Get Reports'
- Click on the Report ID to open/start the Annual Report
The State Water Board is considering an amendment to the Phase II Small MS4 permit to incorporate changes to Attachment G (TMDL requirements). Staff has prepared a preliminary administrative draft and is seeking informal comments from stakeholder on the draft by July 31, 2015. This is not a formal public comment period and the comments are for staff consideration, not Board consideration. A written public comment period for submission of comments to the Board will be announced at a future date.
- Notice - Opportunity to Comment - comments period has been extended to July 31, 2015
- Preliminary Staff Proposed Revisions to Attachment G - corrected July 6, 2015
Phase II Small MS4 Permit
On February 5, 2013, the proposed final draft of the Phase II Small MS4 General Permit was adopted and will became effective on July 1, 2013. Permit (Order No. 2013-0001 DWQ effective July 1, 2013)
- Final Order (without attachments)
- Fact Sheet
- Attachment A - Traditional Permittees
- Attachment B - Non-Traditional Permittees
- Attachment C - Special Conditions for ASBS Discharges
- Attachment D - List of ASBS Dischargers
- Attachment E - Community-Based Social Marketing Requirements
- Attachment F - Standard Provisions
- Attachment G - TMDL Implementation Requirements
- Attachment H - Acronyms
- Attachment I - Glossary
- Designation Flowchart
- Monitoring Flowchart
Trainings and Meetings
Over the next few months Water Board staff will be meeting with Permittees to discuss Total Maximum Daily Load (TMDL) requirements included in the Phase II Small MS4 permit (Attachment G). Presentation materials for the Kick-off Meeting held September 20, 2013 is listed below. Check back soon for upcoming meeting details and schedule.
- Phase II Small MS4 Permit TMDL Requirements (Slide Presentation)
During summer 2013, State Board staff held several workshops throughout the state to provide training for Permittee staff, consultants and other interested members of the public. Presentation materials can be found here:
- Phase II Small MS4 Permit Workshop Presentation (Slide Presentation)
Phase II Small MS4 Permit Workshop Handout (3 slides / page with notes)
Phase II Small MS4 Permit Workshop Presentation - Non-Traditionals
Permittee Guidance and Resources
The following guidance and resources are provided for additional information and reference for the Phase II Small MS4 permit requirements. Please note: The contents of the referenced websites and documents do not necessarily reflect the view and policies of the State Water Resources Control Board, nor does the mention of trade names or commercial products constitute endorsement or recommendation for use.
- Application Requirements
- Program Management
- Education and Outreach
- Public Involvement and Participation
- Illicit Discharge Detection and Elimination
- Pollution Prevention and Good Housekeeping
- Program Effectiveness
- TMDLs (Coming Soon!)
- Annual Reporting and SMARTS (Coming Soon!)
- FAQ (Coming Soon!)
- General Information
Questions or Comments about Phase II Small MS4 Permit? Please contact:
- Bill Hereth by email at: Bill.Hereth@waterboards.ca.gov or by phone at: (916) 341-5688
Ex Parte Disclosure Requirements for Pending General Orders
This item is subject to the ex parte communication disclosure requirements of Water Code section 13287, as explained in http://www.waterboards.ca.gov/laws_regulations/docs/exparte.pdf. Any communications between interested persons and board members (other than at a noticed board meeting or submitted as a comment letter in compliance with the public notice) must be disclosed by the interested person within seven days of the communication. Sample disclosure forms are available at: http://www.waterboards.ca.gov/laws_regulations/docs/swrcb_godf_fillin.pdf. Beginning January 22, 2013, ex parte communications between interested persons and board members concerning this item are prohibited.