Proposed Settlement Agreement with Victor Valley Wastewater Reclamation Authority, San Bernadino County
The Victor Valley Wastewater Reclamation Authority (VVWRA) operates a wastewater treatment facility that serves the northern portion of San Bernadino County. The facility discharges to the Mojave River. VVWRA is subject to $129,000 in mandatory minimum penalties for violations of effluent limitations that took place between August 1, 2008 and September 30, 2020. The Lahontan Water Board's Prosecution Team and the VVWRA have agreed to settle the matter as follows:
- VVWRA will pay $57,000 to the State Water Board’s Cleanup and Abatement Account; and
- VVWRA will complete a Supplemental Environmental Project (SEP) of up to $72,000. The SEP will consist of a waiver of up to $72,000 in VVWRA connection fees associated with the SEP currently underway by the City of Victorville as part of Settlement Agreement Order No. R6V-2020-0001. The City of Victorville has established a grant program to assist property owners in the Old Town area of the City to abandon their septic tanks and connect to the City sewer system. The City’s SEP includes payment of all costs, estimated to be $26,000 per property owner. This includes payment of the VVWRA connection fee of approximately $4,000 per connection. Because VVWRA’s SEP waives the connection fees, the City’s cost will be reduced by about $4,000 per property owner, thus allowing the City to provide grants to an additional 3-5 properties. If VVWRA spends less than $72,000, then the difference shall be paid to the State Water Board’s Cleanup and Abatement Account.
The Lahontan Water Board's Prosecution Team is requesting the public's review and comments regarding the proposed Settlement. All comments must be received by the Water Board no later than 5:00 p.m. on April 2, 2021. Comments shall be emailed to email@example.com and include "VVWRA Settlement Comments" in the subject line.
For those who do not have access to email, written comments may be submitted to:
- Lahontan Regional Water Quality Control Board
- 2501 Lake Tahoe Blvd.
- South Lake Tahoe, CA 96150
- Attn: VVWRA Settlement Comments