Division of Water Rights
Division of Water Rights COVID-19 Notice:
Due to the COVID-19 emergency and the Governor’s and Sacramento County’s orders to stay at home, the Division of Water Rights is significantly reducing the amount of staff located in the CalEPA building. As the Division of Water Rights implements alternative work arrangements, we will continue the majority of our Water Right efforts, but some Division services will be disrupted.
As of March 20, 2020, the Division of Water Rights Records Room and public window will be open by appointment only on Wednesdays and Fridays from 9AM to 4PM. Even during that time, record reviews should be only for essential matters and otherwise consistent with the Governor’s and Sacramento County’s travel limitations for essential services and functions.
If you wish to view Water Right files or drop off materials in person at the CalEPA building, please contact the Division of Water Rights at DWR@waterboards.ca.gov to schedule an appointment. The reduction of staff within the CalEPA building will unfortunately delay response times for requests received by the Division of Water Rights. We appreciate your patience and will continue to process all requests we receive. Please continue to contact the Division of Water Rights at DWR@waterboards.ca.gov, or (916) 341-5300, for all your water right requests and questions.
Water Rights Programs
- Notice of Staff Workshop on Proposed Emergency Curtailment and Reporting Regulation for the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta Watershed (July 20, 2021)
- On June 22, 2021, the State Water Board issued a public Notice of Opportunity to Respond to Petitions for Reconsideration of the Water Quality Certification for the Yuba River Development Project (06/22/2021)
- Worsening drought conditions prompt emergency action in Russian River watershed
State Water Board adopts new regulations to stop diversions (06/15/2021)
- Drought conditions prompt restrictions for some Delta water right holders
Additional action may be needed later this summer (06/15/2021)
- State Water Board Notice of Water Unavailability and Warning of Water Unavailability for Right Holders in the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta Watershed (06/15/2021)
- Extremely dry conditions prompt restrictions for some water right holders on the Scott River
Low flows threaten survival of endangered species (06/01/2021)
- State Water Board Executive Director Issues Water Quality Certification for the Department of Water Resources’ 2021 Emergency Drought Salinity Barrier (05/28/2021)
- Extremely dry conditions prompt restrictions for some water right holders on the Russian River
Low flows are a threat to drinking water supplies, endangered fish (05/26/2021)
- Notice of Staff Workshop and Opportunity for Public Comment on Water Unavailability Methodology for the Delta Watershed (05/12/2021)
- California-American Water Company Request to Change Order WR 2009-0060-DWR
- State Water Board Issues Informal Consultation Notice for the Phoenix Hydroelectric Project (5/04/2021)
- Public Workshop on Drought Planning Tools and Methodologies on April 16, 2021
- Continued dry conditions prompt early warning about potential water shortages
Water users urged to reduce and conserve (03/22/2021)
- State Water Board letter regarding Ongoing Dry Conditions in Most California Watersheds (03/22/2021)
- State Water Board Executive Director Issues Final Water Quality Certification for the Don Pedro Hydroelectric Project and La Grange Hydroelectric Project and associated Final Water Quality Certification FAQs (01/15/2021)
- More Announcements...