Division of Water Rights
Division of Water Rights COVID-19 Notice:
Due to the COVID-19 emergency and the Governor’s and Sacramento County’s orders to stay at home, the Division of Water Rights is significantly reducing the amount of staff located in the CalEPA building. As the Division of Water Rights implements alternative work arrangements, we will continue the majority of our Water Right efforts, but some Division services will be disrupted.
As of March 20, 2020, the Division of Water Rights Records Room and public window will be open by appointment only on Wednesdays and Fridays from 9AM to 4PM. Even during that time, record reviews should be only for essential matters and otherwise consistent with the Governor’s and Sacramento County’s travel limitations for essential services and functions.
If you wish to view Water Right files or drop off materials in person at the CalEPA building, please contact the Division of Water Rights at DWR@waterboards.ca.gov to schedule an appointment. The reduction of staff within the CalEPA building will unfortunately delay response times for requests received by the Division of Water Rights. We appreciate your patience and will continue to process all requests we receive. Please continue to contact the Division of Water Rights at DWR@waterboards.ca.gov, or (916) 341-5300, for all your water right requests and questions.
Water Rights Programs
- Updated Water Unavailability Methodology Resources and Draft Emergency Regulation for the Delta Watershed Available for Public Comment and Workshop Scheduled for May 12 (April 19, 2022)
- State Water Board issued a Notice of Opportunity to Respond to Petitions for Reconsideration of Water Quality Certification for Don Pedro Hydroelectric and La Grange Hydroelectric Projects (12/3/21)
- Staff Workshop on Possible Alternative Approaches to Address Water Supply Shortages in the Delta Watershed Scheduled for December 15, 2021 (November 18, 2021)
- Annual Water Use Reporting Deadlines for Water Rights Holders (SB 155) (October 28, 2021)
- Notice of Staff Workshop on Potential Changes to the Water Unavailability Methodology for the Delta Watershed (October 20, 2021)
- Emergency Regulation for Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta Watershed Approved by Office of Administrative Law (August 19, 2021)
- On September 17, 2021, State Water Board staff will hold a Public Workshop Related to Petitions for Reconsideration of the Water Quality Certification for the Yuba River Development Project.
- Notice of Proposed Emergency Rulemaking – Scott and Shasta River Watersheds (August 12, 2021)
- Proposed Emergency Regulation and Informative Digest – Scott and Shasta River Watersheds (August 12, 2021)
- Notice of Proposed Emergency Rulemaking – Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta Watershed (July 30, 2021)
- Notice of Availability of Draft Emergency Curtailment and Reporting Regulation for the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta Watershed for Public Review and Comment and Notice of Water Unavailability for Senior Water Right Claims in the Delta Watershed (See the water right claims affected) (July 23, 2021)
- More Announcements...