Public Records Requests
This page contains the key information needed to request access to inspect and obtain copies of public records maintained by the California Regional Water Quality Control Board, Lahontan Region (Regional Board).
The Regional Board maintains public records containing extensive information on water quality, waste discharges, beneficial uses of water and water quality regulatory program activities in the Lahontan Region dating from the early 1950s. The public records created and received by the Regional Board in the course of administering California's water quality protection programs in the Lahontan Region are a vital resource. They serve as the memory of the Regional Board organization; a record of past events and the basis for future actions. Access to these public records is a right of all Californians.
Internet Access to Information
Before making a request to view public records in the Regional Board office you may wish to determine if the information is already available online. Many of the Regional Board's documents are available for viewing or downloading. Links to these documents are below:
- SMARTS - Information 2013 and newer can be found here. Provides a platform where dischargers, regulators, and the public can enter, manage, and view storm water data including permit registration documents, compliance, and monitoring data associated with California's Storm Water General Permits.
- GeoTracker- Information 2005 and newer can be found here. A database and geographic information system (GIS) that provides access to environmental data. It tracks regulatory data about leaking underground fuel tanks (LUFT), Department of Defense (DoD), Spills-Leaks-Investigations-Cleanups (SLIC) and Landfill sites. The database also contains information about public drinking water wells.
- CIWQS - California Integrated Water Quality System-is a computer system used by the State and Regional Water Quality Control Boards to track information about places of environmental interest, manage permits and other orders, track inspections, and manage violations and enforcement activities.
Requests to View Public Records (File Review)
Should be specific, focused, and not interfere with the ordinary business operations. Should sufficiently describe records so that identification, location, and retrieval of the records can be achieved without undue burden.
Persons interested in reviewing or obtaining copies of public records are encouraged to make a file review appointment in advance. An appointment can be made by email, fax, telephone, or in person. Files may be reviewed at Lahontan Regional Water Board office weekdays from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., excluding holidays.
Public Records Access Request Form
- Persons requesting to inspect or copy public records maintained by the Regional Board are encouraged to complete the Public Records Access Request. The request form will open in Microsoft Word and you can complete the form onscreen, save it, view it, or print it. After you save it, you can attach the request form file that exists on your hard disk, diskette or network drive and e-mail it to the Regional Board Records Management Officer at one of the e-mail addresses listed below. The form may also be submitted via fax, regular mail or dropped off at the Regional Board office at the address provided below.
- South Lake Tahoe Office (Amber Wike)
2501 Lake Tahoe Blvd.
South Lake Tahoe, CA 96150
Phone: (530) 542-5400
Fax: (530) 544-2271
- Victorville Office (Sandra Lopez)
15095 Amargosa Road - Bldg 2, Ste 210
Victorville, CA 92394
Phone: (760) 241-6583
Fax: (760) 241-7308