Cleanup and Abatement Order R6T-2022-(PROPOSED) for Big O Tires
The Lahontan Water Board intends to issue Cleanup and Abatement Order Number R6T-2022-PROPOSED (proposed CAO) within the year. The proposed CAO names David and Kathleen Barnett, CAD Enterprises LLC, CAMCO, and Lightning II as “Dischargers” and orders cleanup of discharges of solvent wastes from the former Big O Tires (Site). The discharges have resulted in violations of prohibitions contained in the Water Board’s Water Quality Control Plan.
The proposed CAO is being issued to assess, cleanup and abate discharges originating from the Site. The Lahontan Water Board previously issued an Order to Submit Technical Reports in Accordance with Section 13267 of the California Water Code on May 10, 2019, to investigate and cleanup contamination originating from the Site. The proposed CAO requires the Dischargers to (1) Develop and Submit a Conceptual Site Model, (2) Prepare and Submit a Sampling and Analysis Plan, (3) Develop, Submit, and Implement a Site Assessment Work Plan(s) to Assess, Characterize and Delineate the Extent of Wastes in Soil, Soil Vapor, and Groundwater, (4) Prepare and Submit a Human Health and Ecological Risk Assessment, (5)Conduct Remedial Actions, (6)Public Participation, and (7) Conduct Groundwater Monitoring. These actions are needed to protect human health and the environment, and existing and potential beneficial uses, including the restoration of the drinking water aquifer for human consumption.
Documents available for public review
A link to Cleanup and Abatement Order R6T-2022-(PROPOSED)is available for a 30-day public review period to allow for public comments.
The Lahontan Water Board will accept written comments on Cleanup and Abatement Order R6T-2022-(PROPOSED) until 5:00 pm on September 19, 2022 (revised).
Comment letters may be submitted electronically, via email, with the subject “Big O Tires proposed CAO Comments – [name of commenter]” to the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
To view Cleanup and Abatement Order R6T-2022-(PROPOSED): Cleanup and Abatement Order R6T-2022-(PROPOSED) for 30 day public review.
Comments Received and Responses to Comments
- March 1, 2023 - Lahontan Water Board – Proposed Revisions to Cleanup and Abatement Order
- September 19, 2022 - PES/EKI on behalf of Seven Springs Limited Partnership and Fox Capital Management - Proposed CAO Comments
- August 19, 2022 - Lahontan Water Board- Comment Period Extended
- August 17, 2022 - Morrison Foerster on behalf of Seven Springs Limited Partnership and Fox Capital Management– LTLW – Extension Request Renewal
- June 27, 2022 - Lahontan Water Board- Comment Period Extended
- June 24, 2022 - Morrison Foerster on behalf of Seven Springs Limited Partnership – Seven Springs Requests re Proposed CAOs
- June 22, 2022 - Hogan Lovells on behalf of Fox Capital Management – Fox Requests re Proposed CAOs
Other Documents and Information
- Public GeoTracker website Big O Tires
- Public GeoTracker website for South Y Regional Contamination (Formerly Lukin Wells 2 &5)
- Regional Plume Characterization Summary Report: South “Y” PCE Plume 2019-2020 Field Season
- Order to Submit Technical Reports in Accordance with Section 13267 of the California Water Code dated May 10, 2019