Subscribe to our Email Lists
To receive email announcements, updates, and other information regarding the Lahontan Water Board, subscribe to our email lists.
Water Quality Assessment
Lahontan Region Integrated Report – 303(d) list of water quality limited segments and 305(b) surface water quality assessments
Clean Water Act (CWA) Section 303(d) requires states to identify waterbodies that do not meet water quality standards. Waterbodies which do not meet water quality standards are placed on the CWA Section 303(d) List of Water Quality Limited Segments (also known as the list of impaired waterbodies, or the 303(d) list). Decisions to place waterbodies on the 303(d) list are governed by the Water Quality Control Policy for developing California’s Clean Water Act Section 303(d) List. U.S. EPA must approve the 303(d) list before it is considered final.
The 303(d) list identifies the pollutant(s) or stressor(s) causing impairment(s) and establishes a schedule for developing a water pollution control plan to restore and maintain water quality. In most cases, water quality impairments are addressed by development of a Total Maximum Daily Load (TMDL), although in some cases other regulatory programs will address the impairment instead of a TMDL. Adoption and implementation of a TMDL or alternative regulatory program serves to attain and maintain water quality standards for the impaired waterbody.
CWA section 305(b) requires States to prepare and submit to USEPA a report on the overall water quality conditions for all navigable water bodies in the State. California develops an Integrated Report which satisfies the requirements of CWA Sections 303(d) and 305(b).
California’s Integrated Report is developed in "cycles" with each cycle occurring every two years. Each Integrated Report cycle consists primarily of assessments from the three Regional Water Quality Control Boards. The other six Regional Water Quality Control Boards that are "off-cycle" may also assess new high-priority data and make new listing or delisting decisions for one or more waterbodies. The most recent Integrated Report cycle for the Lahontan Region was the 2018 Integrated Report. Lahontan Region waters will next be assessed in the 2026 Integrated Report, currently under development.
To learn more about the Integrated Report evaluation process, please visit the State Water Board's Surface Water Quality Assessment website
If you would like to receive announcements and notices pertaining to the Integrated Report by e-mail, please visit our e-mail subscriptions page.
2026 Integrated Report (in development)
Data solicitation notice for the 2026 Integrated Report. The solicitation period closes October 21,2022. Data submitted after the solicitation closure will not be assessed in the 2026 Integrated Report Cycle.
2020-2022 Integrated Report and 303(d) List
2018 Integrated Report
- 2018 Integrated Report and 303(d) List
- On November 20th, 2019 the Lahontan Water Board adopted Resolution R6T-2019-0276 to transmit the regions' recommended updates to the 303(d) List to the State Water Board.
- On October 20, 2021, the State Water Board approved the 2018 California Integrated Report, which included updates to the 303(d) List for the Lahontan Region.
- On June 9, 2021, U.S. EPA approved the 2018 California Integrated Report. Signed Resolution R6T-2019-0276 and Enclosure 1
- Lahontan Region 2018 Integrated Report Transmittal Letter to the State Water Board
- Response to Public Comments
- Final Staff Report
- Final Appendix A - Proposed Updates to the 303(d) List
- Final Appendix B - Category 5 Waterbody Segments
- Final Appendix C - Category 4a Waterbody Segments
- Final Appendix D - Category 4b Waterbody Segments
- Final Appendix E - Category 3 Waterbody Segments
- Final Appendix F - Category 2 Waterbody Segments
- Final Appendix G - Category 1 Waterbody Segments
- Final Appendix H - Waterbody Fact Sheets
- Final Appendix I - Decisions affected by the re-segmentation of the Susan River and West Fork Carson River
- Final Appendix J - Reference Report for Fact Sheets
- Lahontan Region 2018 Integrated Report Map
2012 Integrated Report
- Statewide 2012 Integrated Report (CWA Section 303(d) List / 305(b) Report)
- Lahontan Region 2012 Integrated Report
- U.S. EPA final approval letter and addition of Topaz Lake
2010 Integrated Report
Previous 303(d) lists and 305(b) reports
The 2010 Integrated Report is the first Integrated Report developed for the State of California. Previous assessments were developed by the State Water Board in separate documents and can be found on the State Water Board’s Integrated Report Cycles website.