Tijuana River Valley Recovery Strategy
Reducing the discharge and cleaning up sediment and trash in the Tijuana Valley is among the highest priorities of the San Diego Water Board. Since many of the sources of sediment and trash are outside of the jurisdiction of the agencies we regulate, the Water Board has convened a collaborative, stakeholder-led approach to address these problems.
- VISION: A Tijuana River Valley free of historical trash and sediment, protected from future deposits of trash and sediment, restored to a sustained physical, chemical and biological integrity, and performing its hydrologic functions, while respecting the interests of current and future landowners and users.
- MISSION: To bring together the governmental administrative, regulatory, and funding agencies in tandem with advice from the scientific community, the environmental community, and affected stakeholders to protect the Tijuana River Valley from future accumulations of trash and sediment, identify, remove, recycle or dispose of existing trash and sediment, and restore the Tijuana River floodplain to a balanced wetland ecosystem.
Tijuana River Valley Recovery Team Flyer - General Information
- Tijuana River Valley Recovery Team Flyer
- Resource Stewardship: U.S. Side of the Tijuana River Valley Watershed
A key result of the Recovery Team’s efforts has been the development and release of the Tijuana River Valley “Recovery Strategy: Living with the Water.” The purpose of the Recovery Strategy is to concisely summarize the first phase of actions in a way that will allow stakeholders, policy makers, and potential funding sources have a clear understanding of both the problems and the solutions and help the Recovery Team to achieve its vision of a healthy Tijuana River watershed in a manner that is credible, durable, and acceptable to the communities on both sides of the border.
On February 8, 2012, the San Diego Water Board adopted Resolution No. R9-2012-0030, strongly endorsing the Recovery Strategy.
Five-Year Action Plan
On March 16, 2015, the San Diego Water Board adopted Resolution No. R9-2015-0035, strongly endorsing a Five-Year Action Plan developed by the Recovery Team. The Five-Year Action Plan outlines the projects that the Recovery Team aspires to accomplish over the next five years to continue advancing the Recovery Strategy goals.
Tijuana River Valley Recovery Team Steering Committee
The Steering Committee is comprised of the signatories and designated representatives of stakeholders who are Recovery Team members. The Steering Committee provides overall guidance for the Recovery Team and develops and convenes action teams as necessary to coordinate implementation of the Recovery Strategy and Five-Year Action Plan.
Tijuana River Valley Recovery Team Library
Access our library to find studies, reports, and other materials relevant to Tijuana River Valley recovery. If there are additional studies and reports you would like to contribute to our online library, please contact Chris Blank at Christina.Blank@waterboards.ca.gov.
Upcoming 2017 Meetings and Events - Tijuana River Watershed
- Wednesday, October 4, 2017
III Congresso Ambiental Green Tijuana San Diego Verde
Location: Trompo Interactive Museum, Tijuana, B.C., Mexico
Subscribe to our Tijuana River Valley Recovery email list to receive notifications and the latest updates. After subscribing, you will need to check your email host for a confirmation email to complete the subscription.
Subscribe to our other email lists. See the "Special Topics" section.
- Chris Blank