- State and Regional
Water Boards' Map
- Board Priorities
- Make a Payment
- Decisions Pending and Opportunities for Public Participation
State Water - Board Cannabis Cultivation Programs
Welcome to the State Water Resources Control Board's (State Water Board) cannabis cultivation regulatory programs webpage. The State Water Board is developing and implementing new regulatory programs to address potential water quality and quantity issues related to cannabis cultivation and to meet the directives of Senate Bill (SB) 837 (Statutes 2016, Chapter 32, Committee on Budget and Fiscal Review) and the Medical Cannabis Regulation and Safety Act.
The Water Boards (State Water Board and Regional Water Boards) responsibilities under the Medical Cannabis Regulation and Safety Act and SB 837 encompass the State Water Board's Division of Water Quality; Division of Water Rights; Office of Enforcement; and Regional Water Quality Control Boards (Regional Water Boards). The State Water Board is conducting outreach and participating in stakeholder meetings while developing the Cannabis Cultivation programs.
The Water Boards' cannabis cultivation programs focus on water quality protection requirements associated with the cultivation of cannabis on private lands. Cannabis cultivation on public lands is illegal and may be subject to criminal prosecution. The State and Regional Water Boards' water quality programs do not authorize, endorse, sanction, permit or approve the cultivation, use, sale or other activities associated with cannabis.
- Cannabis Cultivation Water Rights Homepage - Information on the development of principles and guidelines for diversion and use of water for cannabis cultivation and water rights information related to cannabis cultivation. Principles and guidelines for cannabis cultivation will be incorporated into the State Water Board's water right and regulatory programs and the California Department of Food and Agriculture's CalCannabis Cultivation Licensing .
- Cannabis Cultivation Water Quality Homepage - Information on cannabis cultivation water quality programs to address water quality impacts from cannabis cultivation and associated activities on private property. This includes information on the Cannabis Cultivation Waste Discharge Regulatory Programs established by the North Coast Regional Water Board and the Central Valley Regional Water Board.
- Cannabis Cultivation Enforcement Homepage - Information regarding the State Water Boards enforcement program for the diversion and use of surface water and waste discharges that could harm the waters of the State.
Related Resources and Publications
- Hauling Water Flyer - 9/20/2016
Subscribe to our Cannabis Cultivators email subscription list to receive email updates, notices, and opportunities to comment. The email subscription list appears in multiple sections (i.e., Water Rights, Water Quality, etc.). You only need to sign up once as all sections subscribe to the same list.