Water Boards Cannabis Cultivation Programs
Cannabis Policy Approved and in Effect;
Live Online Cannabis Regulatory Program Portal
Welcome to the State Water Resources Control Board's (State Water Board) Cannabis Cultivation Regulatory Program webpage. On December 18, 2017 the state's Office of Administrative Law approved and put into the state's regulatory code this program, which is now in effect. The Cannabis Regulatory Program Portal is now live. Visit the Cannabis Regulatory Program's Portal to enroll for coverage under the Cannabis General Order or to file for a cannabis Small Irrigation Use Registration water right.
Background: On October 17, 2017, the State Water Board adopted the Cannabis Cultivation Policy - Principles and Guidelines for Cannabis Cultivation (Cannabis Policy) and General Waste Discharge Requirements and Waiver of Waste Discharge Requirements for Discharges of Waste Associated with Cannabis Cultivation Activities ( Cannabis General Order). The State Water Board is establishing this new regulatory program to address potential water quality and quantity issues related to cannabis cultivation and to meet the directives of Senate Bill (SB) 837 (Statutes 2016, Chapter 32, Committee on Budget and Fiscal Review) and the Medicinal and Adult-Use Cannabis Regulation and Safety Act (MAUCRSA; Senate Bill 94 [Statutes 2017, Chapter 27, Committee on Budget and Fiscal Review]).
- UPDATE: Apply for Cannabis Regulatory Program Online. Visit the Cannabis Regulatory Programs Portal to enroll for coverage under the Cannabis General Order or to file for a cannabis Small Irrigation Use Registration water right.
- On November 2, 2017, the State Water Board submitted the Cannabis Policy to the Office of Administrative Law (OAL) for review and approval. OAL approved and filed with the Secretary of State the Cannabis Policy and California Code of Regulations, Title 23, Section 2925, making the Cannabis Policy effective as of that date. Information on the development of the Cannabis Policy is available under the Water Rights section of the Cannabis Cultivation web portal. The final Cannabis Policy can be found here.
- On December 19, 2017, the Deputy Director for the Division of Water Rights approved a Resolution Establishing General Conditions to be Applied to Small Irrigation Use Registrations for Cannabis Cultivation.
- The State Water Board held several workshops in November and December 2017 to provide information on the Cannabis Policy, the Cannabis General Order, and the Small Irrigation Use Registration program. A list of the workshop locations and time can be found here.
- The Sacramento meeting (December 8, 2017) was recorded and can be viewed online here.
- State Water Board Cannabis Regulatory Program Presentation
- Introduction to California Public Water Systems
- Cannabis Cultivation Water Rights Homepage - Information on the development of principles and guidelines for diversion and use of water for cannabis cultivation and water rights information related to cannabis cultivation. Principles and guidelines for cannabis cultivation will be incorporated into the State Water Board's water right and regulatory programs and the California Department of Food and Agriculture's CalCannabis Cultivation Licensing.
- Fully Contained Springs
Fully contained springs do not flow off a person’s property in the absence of diversion, including wet years, or after periods of heavy rain. The Cannabis Cultivation Policy allows cultivators to request an exemption from certain flow requirements if the spring being used for cannabis cultivation meets a set of pre-determined conditions.
- Cannabis Cultivation Water Quality Homepage - Information on cannabis cultivation water quality programs to address water quality impacts from cannabis cultivation and associated activities on private property. This includes information on the Cannabis Cultivation Waste Discharge Regulatory Programs established by the North Coast Regional Water Board and the Central Valley Regional Water Board.
Cannabis General Order and Small Irrigation Use Registrations (Portal)
Cannabis Regulatory Programs for Cannabis General Order and Small Irrigation Use Registrations (Portal) - The Cannabis Cultivation General Order and Small Irrigation Use Registration Portal (Portal) is an online tool cannabis cultivators can use to register with the Division of Water Rights (DWR) to obtain a small irrigation use water right or to enroll in the Division of Water Quality (DWQ) Cannabis General Order/Waste Discharge Requirement (WDR) program. Only cultivators who divert from a surface water source for the use of irrigating commercial cannabis will need to obtain a SIUR certificate while all cultivators will need to obtain coverage under the General Order/WDR. Please click here to enter the portal.
- Cannabis Regulatory Programs Portal Application Sample
- SIUR Program Page
- Portal Frequently Asked Questions (Coming Soon)
- Cannabis Cultivation Enforcement Homepage - Information regarding the State Water Boards enforcement program for the diversion and use of surface water and waste discharges that could harm the waters of the State.
Related Resources and Publications
- Hauling Water Flyer - 9/20/2016
Subscribe to our Cannabis Cultivators email list to receive notifications and the latest updates. After subscribing, you will need to check your email host for a confirmation email to complete the subscription.