Applications for Clean Water Act Section 401 Water Quality Certifications

The Clean Water Act (CWA) Section 401 Certification and Waste Discharge Requirements Program for dredge and fill activities is an important tool for regulating hydrologic modification projects in addition to other projects which involve dredge and fill. Dredge and fill projects for which the Regional Board requires permitting include, but are not limited to:

Construction of, or development projects which include: Dams, Levees, Drop Structures Debris Basins, Ponds Piping/Under-grounding, Intake/Outfall Structures Boat Ramps, Pilings, Piers, Docks, Wharves.

Streambank, Shoreline and Habitat Modifications : Beach Maintenance or Renourishment,treambank Erosion Control, Stabilization; Dredging, Mining, Aquatic Plant Control, Fish or Wildlife Habitat Restoration,Wetlands Restoration.

Crossings : Bridges, Culverts, Dams, and Utility Crossings

Emergency Permit: Emergency is defined as a sudden, unexpected occurrence, involving a clear and imminent danger, demanding immediate action to prevent or mitigate loss of, or damage to, life, health, property, or essential public services. Emergency includes such occurrences as fire, flood, earthquake, or other soil or geologic movement, as well as such occurrences such as riot, accident, or sabotage. [Public Resources Code § 21060.3]

The Los Angeles District of the Army Corps of Engineers issued Regional General Permit 63 (RPG 63) in October 2023. RGP 63 requires notification to the Los Angeles District of the Army Corps of Engineers issued and notification to this Regional Board.

Regional General Permit (RGP) 63 for Emergency Repair and Protection Activities

2017 Nationwide Permits
Certain ACOE Nationwide permits (NWP) were certified by the State Water Board in March of 2017. This "pre-certification" is available for NWPs 1, 4, 5, 6, 9, 10, 11, 12, 20, 22, 28, 32, 36 and 54. These NWPs require notification to this Regional Board.
  • State Water Board certifications may also be available for certain small restoration or beach nourishment projects. See State Water Board webpage:

  • Application Form

    • Application

      Under new 401 Rules 40 CFR 121.4(a), you will need to submit a "Pre-Filing Meeting" Request a minimum of 30 days prior to submitting the 401 Certification application. Please send your request to In the subject line of the email, please write Pre-Filing Meeting Request, 401 Cert, (project name). In the body of the email, state that you are requesting a Pre-filing Meeting request for a 401 Certification application. Please include information such as the applicant, project name, project location, and an executive summary of the project.

      For more information on applications, please see the State Water Board Section 401 Water Quality Certification web page.

    • Signature Requirements

      All applications, reports, or information submitted to the Regional Board shall be signed:

      (a) For corporations, by a principal executive officer at least of the level of vice president or his duly authorized representative, if such representative is responsible for the overall operation of the facility from which discharge originates;

      (b) For a partnership, by a general partner;

      (c) For a sole proprietorship, by the proprietor; and

      (d) For a municipal, state, or other public facility, by either a principal executive officer, ranking elected official, or other duly authorized employee.

      The Regional Board can not accept applications signed by the applicant's consultant or representative not listed above.

    • Global Positioning System (GPS) Data Collection Standard (PDF) - (Feb 10, 2002)
    • Fee Schedule

      23 CCR Sections 2200(e) and 3833(b)(2) prescribe the following fees for certification of activities that may involve a discharge of dredged or fill material:

      See State Water Board Fee Schedule.

      All fees should be made payable to the State Water Resources Control Board and shall be submitted to the address below,

      Los Angeles Water Quality Control Board
      320 West Fourth Street, Suite 200
      Los Angeles, CA 90013
      Attn: 401 Certification Unit