Applications for Clean Water Act Section 401 Water Quality Certifications
The Clean Water Act (CWA) Section 401 Certification and Waste Discharge Requirements Program for dredge and fill activities is an important tool for regulating hydrologic modification projects in addition to other projects which involve dredge and fill. Dredge and fill projects for which the Regional Board requires permitting include, but are not limited to:Construction of, or development projects which include: Dams, Levees, Drop Structures Debris Basins, Ponds Piping/Under-grounding, Intake/Outfall Structures Boat Ramps, Pilings, Piers, Docks, Wharves.
Streambank, Shoreline and Habitat Modifications : Beach Maintenance or Renourishment,treambank Erosion Control, Stabilization; Dredging, Mining, Aquatic Plant Control, Fish or Wildlife Habitat Restoration,Wetlands Restoration.
Crossings : Bridges, Culverts, Dams, and Utility Crossings
Emergency Permit: Emergency is defined as a sudden, unexpected occurrence, involving a clear and imminent danger, demanding immediate action to prevent or mitigate loss of, or damage to, life, health, property, or essential public services. Emergency includes such occurrences as fire, flood, earthquake, or other soil or geologic movement, as well as such occurrences such as riot, accident, or sabotage. [Public Resources Code § 21060.3]
The Los Angeles District of the Army Corps of Engineers issued Regional General Permit 63 (RPG 63) in December of 2008. RGP63requires notification to the Los Angeles District of the Army Corps of Engineers issued and notification to this Regional Board.
Regional General Permit (RGP) 63 for Emergency Repair and Protection Activities
- Cover Letter
- Certification Order
- Attachment A - Area Map
- Attachment B - Signatory Requirements
- Attachment C - Reporting and Notification Requirements
- Attachment D - Notice of Intent Form
- Attachment E - Notice of Completion Form
2017 Nationwide Permits
Certain ACOE Nationwide permits (NWP) were certified by the State Water Board in March of 2017. This "pre-certification" is available for NWPs 1, 4, 5, 6, 9, 10, 11, 12, 20, 22, 28, 32, 36 and 54. These NWPs require notification to this Regional Board.
- Signature Requirements
All applications, reports, or information submitted to the Regional Board shall be signed:
(a) For corporations, by a principal executive officer at least of the level of vice president or his duly authorized representative, if such representative is responsible for the overall operation of the facility from which discharge originates;
(b) For a partnership, by a general partner;
(c) For a sole proprietorship, by the proprietor; and
(d) For a municipal, state, or other public facility, by either a principal executive officer, ranking elected official, or other duly authorized employee.
The Regional Board can not accept applications signed by the applicant's consultant or representative not listed above.
- Global Positioning System (GPS) Data Collection Standard (PDF) - (Feb 10, 2002)
- Fee Schedule
23 CCR Sections 2200(e) and 3833(b)(2) prescribe the following fees for certification of activities that may involve a discharge of dredged or fill material:
applications for certification must include
an initial deposit of $1,638.00.
- Additional fees beyond the initial $1,638.00 shall be calculated using the Dredge and Fill Fee calculator. Fees shall be calculated by both linear distance of impact and total acreage of impact. The greater calculated fee will be assessed.
- Whenever certification of a federal general license or permit requires the permittee to send a notice to the Regional Board of its intent to proceed with the permitted activity, that permittee shall provide the Regional Board a fee of $200.00.
All fees should be made payable to the State Water Resources Control Board and shall be submitted to the address below,
Los Angeles Water Quality Control Board
320 West Fourth Street, Suite 200
Los Angeles, CA 90013
Attn: 401 Certification Unit
- All applications for certification must include an initial deposit of $1,638.00.