September 13, 2006 San Diego Regional Board Meeting
All links in the Agenda refer to supporting documents in Adobe
Reader V6.0 format. Additionally, any document received
by the Regional Board as a hard copy has to be scanned
and may have a larger file size.
REGIONAL WATER QUALITY CONTROL BOARD
SAN DIEGO REGION
September 13, 2006
Quality Control Board
Regional Board Meeting Room
9174 Sky Park Court
San Diego, California
Regional Board requests that all lengthy comments
be submitted in writing in advance of the meeting
date. To ensure that the Regional Board has the
opportunity to fully study and consider written
material, comments should be received in the Regional
Board's office no later than 5:00 P.M. on Wednesday,
August 30, 2006, and should indicate the agenda
item to which it is applicable. If the submitted
written material is more than 5 pages or contains
foldouts, color graphics, maps, etc., 20 copies
must be submitted for distribution to the Regional
Board members and staff. Written material submitted
after 5:00 P.M. on Wednesday, September 6, 2006
will not be provided to the Regional Board members
and will not be considered by the Regional Board.
PLEASE NOTE THAT SOME ITEMS ON THE AGENDA MAY HAVE BEEN PREVIOUSLY NOTICED WITH EARLIER DEADLINES FOR SUBMITTING WRITTEN COMMENTS. IN THOSE CASES THE EARLIER DEADLINES APPLY.
Comments on agenda items will be accepted by email subject to the same conditions set forth for other written submissions as long as the total submittal (including attachments) does not exceed five printed pages in length. email must be submitted to: email@example.com to insure consideration by the Regional Board. Type the word "Agenda" in the subject line.
Pursuant to Title 23, California Code of Regulations, Section 648.4, the Regional Board may refuse to admit written testimony into evidence if it is not submitted to the Regional Board in a timely manner, unless the proponent can demonstrate why he or she was unable to submit the material on time or that compliance with the deadline would create an unreasonable hardship.
NOTE C, attached to this Notice, contains a description of the hearing procedures that will be followed by the Regional Board. Hearings before the Regional Board are normally conducted using procedures that do not include cross-examination. Parties requesting use of more formal procedures must do so in accord with the directions in NOTE C. Any such request, together with supporting material, must be received in the Regional Board's office no later than 5:00 P.M. on Wednesday, August 30, 2006.
Except for items designated as time certain, there are no set times for agenda items. Items may be taken out of order at the discretion of the Chairman.
1. Roll Call and Introductions
2. PUBLIC FORUM: Any person may address the Regional Board at this time regarding any matter within the jurisdiction of the Board which is not on the agenda. Submission of information in writing is encouraged. Presentations will be limited to three minutes.
3. Minutes of Board Meetings: August 16, 2006.
4. Chairman's, Board Members', State Board liaison's and Executive Officer's Reports: These items are for Board discussion only. No public testimony will be allowed, and the Board will take no formal action.
5. POSTPONED NPDES Permit Reissuance: Waste Discharge Requirements for the City of San Diego South Bay Water Reclamation Plant Discharge to the Pacific Ocean via the South Bay Ocean Outfall (tentative Order No. R9-2006-0067, NPDES Permit No. CA0109045) (Melissa Valdovinos)
6. SETTLEMENT OFFER: City of Escondido, Hale Avenue Resource Recovery Facility: Administrative Assessment of Civil Liability against the City of Escondido for Violations of Order No. 99-72, NPDES No. CA0107981, Waste Discharge Requirements for the City of Escondido, Hale Avenue Resources Recovery Facility, Discharge to the Pacific Ocean Via the Escondido Land Outfall and the San Elijo Ocean Outfall. The Regional Board will consider accepting a proposed settlement in response to Administrative Civil Liability Complaint No. R9-2005-0265. If the Regional Board rejects the settlement, the matter will be rescheduled to a future public hearing at which time the Regional Board will consider assessment of civil liability. (Tentative Order No. R9-2006-0095) (Rebecca Stewart)
- Supporting Document No. 1
- Supporting Document No. 2 (Revised 9-8-06)
- Supporting Document No. 3
- Supporting Document No. 4
7. POSTPONED PUBLIC HEARING: Excellent Coatings, Inc., 1285 Distribution Way, Vista: Administrative Assessment for Civil Liability for failure to submit the Fiscal Year 2004-05 annual storm water monitoring report required by Order No. 99-07-DWQ, National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System General Permit No. CAS000001, Waste Discharge Requirements for Discharges of Storm Water Associated with Industrial Activities Excluding Construction Activities (General Permit). If the discharger elects to waive their right to a hearing, the Regional Board will consider comments received during the public review period and decide on an order accepting payment of the proposed liability and waiver of hearing. (Tentative Order No. R9-2006-0099) (Rebecca Stewart)
8. Status Report on the toxicity limitation established in NPDES Permits for industrial storm water discharges to San Diego Bay from U.S. Navy facilities. The report will include a discussion of the U.S. Navy's May 2006 Report on Storm Water Toxicity Evaluation (Michael McCann)
Executive Session - Discussion of Ongoing Litigation
The Regional Board may meet in closed session to discuss ongoing litigation for the following cases:
WILLIAM P. JOHNSON, an individual; and VAIL LAKE USA, LLC, a California limited liability company v. REGIONAL WATER QUALITY CONTROL BOARD - SAN DIEGO, a State of California board and DOES 1-50. Superior Court of the State of California for the County of San Diego, Case No. GIC815227; Petition for Writ of Mandate and Complaint for Damages in regards to Administrative Civil Liability Order No. R9-2002-0027 for violations of the statewide Construction Storm Water Permit, Order No. 99-08-DWQ.
Divers' Environmental Conservation Organization v. State Water Resources Control Board, San Diego Superior Court, Case No. GIC819689. Petition for Writ of Mandate challenging waste discharge requirements for U.S. Navy, Naval Station San Diego based on absence of numeric effluent limits for toxic pollutants in discharges of storm water.
Schutte & Koerting, Inc. and Ametek, Inc. v. California State Water Resources Control Board and Regional Water Quality Control Board, San Diego Region. San Diego Superior Court, Case No. GIC 822750. Verified Petition for Writ of Mandate for Breach of Contract.
Schutte & Koerting, Inc. and Ametek, Inc. v. California State Water Resources Control Board and Regional Water Quality Control Board, San Diego Region. San Diego Superior Court, Case No. GIC 824706. Verified Petition for Writ of Mandate for Breach of Contract.
People of the State of California Ex Rel. the Regional Water Quality Control Board, San Diego Region v. Robert Ortega, an individual in his capacity as Acting Commissioner of the International Boundary and Water Commission, United States Section, et al.. United States District Court, Southern District of California, Case No. 01-CV-027BTM(JFS); violation of effluent limits in waste discharge requirements for the International Wastewater Treatment Plant contained in Order No. 96-50 (NPDES No. CA0108928) and of Cease and Desist Order No. 96-52; Referral Order No. 99-61
San Diego Unified School District, a public school district, Plaintiff v. County of San Diego, a public entity, San Diego Regional Water Quality Control Board, a public entity and DOES 1 through 25, inclusive, Defendants. Superior Court of the State of California for the County of San Diego, Case No. GIC840390; First Amended Complaint for: 1) Breach of Contract-Lease Agreement, 2) Breach of Contract- Sharing Agreement, 3) Quantum Meruit; 4) Express Indemnity; 5) Implied Indemnity and Contribution; 6) Equitable Indemnity Contribution; 7) Nuisance; 8) Trespass; 9) Inverse Condemnation; 10) Preliminary and Permanent Injunction; 11) Declaration of Relief Against the County of San Diego; and 12) Declaration of Relief Against the Regional Water Board and County.
Executive Session - Consideration of Initiation
The Regional Board may meet in closed session to consider initiating criminal prosecution against persons who are alleged to have violated the Porter-Cologne Water Quality Control or the federal Clean Water Act. (John Robertus)
Executive Session - Discussion of Pending Litigation
The Regional Board may meet in closed session to discuss pending litigation.
Executive Session - Personnel
The Regional Board may meet in closed session to consider personnel matters involving exempt employees [Authorized under Government Code Section 11126(a)]
13. Arrangements for Next Meeting and Adjournment
Wednesday, October 11, 2006 - 9:00 a.m.
Rancho California Water District
District Board Room
42135 Winchester Road
DIRECTIONS TO REGIONAL BOARD MEETING
From Downtown: I-15 north - take the Aero Drive exit - turn left (west). Proceed to the 3rd stoplight, which is Ruffin Road - turn right. Turn left on Sky Park Court (stoplight). Our building is located at the end of the court - veer to the right into the parking lot.
From the North: I-15 south - take the Balboa Ave. exit - turn right (west). Proceed to the 2nd stoplight, which is Ruffin Road - turn left. Turn right on Sky Park Court (stoplight). Our building is located at the end of the court - veer to the right into the parking lot.