November 8, 2006 - San Diego Regional Board Meeting
links in the Agenda Items refer to supporting documents
Reader V6.0 format. Also, documents received
by the Regional Board as a hard copy have to be scanned
and have larger file sizes.
REGIONAL WATER QUALITY CONTROL BOARD
SAN DIEGO REGION
November 8, 2006
Quality Control Board
Regional Board Meeting Room
9174 Sky Park Court
San Diego, California
Regional Board requests that all lengthy comments
be submitted in writing in advance of the meeting
date. To ensure that the Regional Board has the
opportunity to fully study and consider written
material, comments should be received in the Regional
Board's office no later than 5:00 P.M. on Wednesday,
October 25, 2006, and should indicate the agenda
item to which it is applicable. If the submitted
written material is more than 5 pages or contains
foldouts, color graphics, maps, etc., 20 copies
must be submitted for distribution to the Regional
Board members and staff. Written material submitted
after 5:00 P.M. on Wednesday, November 1, 2006
will not be provided to the Regional Board members
and will not be considered by the Regional Board.
PLEASE NOTE THAT SOME ITEMS ON THE AGENDA MAY HAVE BEEN PREVIOUSLY NOTICED WITH EARLIER DEADLINES FOR SUBMITTING WRITTEN COMMENTS. IN THOSE CASES THE EARLIER DEADLINES APPLY.
Comments on agenda items will be accepted by E-mail subject to the same conditions set forth for other written submissions as long as the total submittal (including attachments) does not exceed five printed pages in length. E-mail must be submitted to: firstname.lastname@example.org to insure consideration by the Regional Board. Type the word "Agenda" in the subject line.
Pursuant to Title 23, California Code of Regulations, Section 648.4, the Regional Board may refuse to admit written testimony into evidence if it is not submitted to the Regional Board in a timely manner, unless the proponent can demonstrate why he or she was unable to submit the material on time or that compliance with the deadline would create an unreasonable hardship.
NOTE C, attached to this Notice, contains a description of the hearing procedures that will be followed by the Regional Board. Hearings before the Regional Board are normally conducted using procedures that do not include cross-examination. Parties requesting use of more formal procedures must do so in accord with the directions in NOTE C. Any such request, together with supporting material, must be received in the Regional Board's office no later than 5:00 P.M. on Wednesday, October 25, 2006.
Except for items designated as time certain, there are no set times for agenda items. Items may be taken out of order at the discretion of the Chairman.
1. Roll Call and Introductions
2. PUBLIC FORUM: Any person may address the Board regarding a matter within the Board's jurisdiction that is not related to an item on this Meeting agenda. Comments will generally be limited to three minutes, unless otherwise directed by the Chair. Any person wishing to make a longer presentation should contact the Executive Officer at least twenty days prior to the meeting. Comments regarding matters that are scheduled for a future Meeting will be restricted.
3. Minutes of Board Meetings: October 11, 2006.
4. Chairman's, Board Members', State Board liaison's and Executive Officer's Reports: These items are for Board discussion only. No public testimony will be allowed, and the Board will take no formal action.
Consent Calendar: Items 5 through 7 are considered non-controversial issues. (NOTE: If there is public interest, concern or discussion regarding any consent calendar item or a request for a public hearing, then the item(s) will be removed from the consent calendar and considered after all other agenda items have been completed)
5. POSTPONED!! Waste Discharge Requirements: Sewage Collections Agencies in the San Diego Region. The Regional Board will consider adoption of an Order that will augment State Water Board Order No. R9-2006-003-DWQ and supersede current Regional Board Order No. 1996-004 reaffirming the Regional Board's prohibition of sanitary sewer overflows. (Tentative Order No. R9-2006-0121) (Joann Cofrancesco)
7. POSTPONED!! New NPDES Permit: San Diego State University Research Foundation Coastal Waters Laboratory discharge to San Diego Bay, San Diego County (tentative Order No. R9-2006-0088, NPDES No. CA0109231) (Victor Vasquez)
13a. Proposed Settlement of Litigation: The Regional Board will consider accepting a settlement agreement resolving litigation brought by WILLIAM P. JOHNSON, and VAIL LAKE USA, LLC, to challenge administrative assessment of civil liability for alleged violations of the statewide NPDES requirements for storm water discharges associated with construction activity. [WILLIAM P. JOHNSON, an individual, and VAIL LAKE USA, LLC, a California limited liability company v. REGIONAL WATER QUALITY CONTROL BOARD - SAN DIEGO, a State of California board and DOES 1-50; Case No. GIC815227, Superior Court of the State of California for the County of San Diego; Petition for Writ of Mandate and Complaint for Damages in regards to Administrative Civil Liability Order No. R9-2002-0027.] (Frank Melbourn)
Remainder of the Agenda (Non-Consent Items):
8. NPDES Permit Reissuance: Waste Discharge Requirements for the City of San Diego South Bay Water Reclamation Plant Discharge to the Pacific Ocean via the South Bay Ocean Outfall (tentative Order No. R9-2006-0067, NPDES Permit No. CA0109045) (Melissa Valdovinos)
9. POSTPONED PUBLIC HEARING: Administrative Assessment of Civil Liability against Dakota Ranch Development Co., LLC for violation of its Clean Water Act Section 401 Water Quality Certification issued on January 30, 2003 for the Dakota Ranch Subdivision, Santee, California. The Regional Board will consider whether to raise, lower, or reject assessment of $140,000 civil liability recommended in Complaint No. R9-2005-0176. (Tentative Order No. R9-2006-0010) (Frank Melbourn)
10. PUBLIC HEARING: Addendum to Cleanup and Abatement Order (CAO) to TDY Industries, Inc (f/k/a Teledyne Industries, Inc.), TDY Holdings, LLC, and Teledyne Ryan Aeronautical Company, which establishes a March 31, 2007 due date for submittal of a Remedial Investigation/Feasibility Study (RI/FS) report. (Tentative Addendum No. 2 to Order No. R9-2004-0258) (John Anderson)
11. Supplemental Environmental Projects (SEPs): The Regional Board will review current practices for allowing, developing, selecting, funding and managing SEPs derived from the settlement of administrative civil liability (ACL) actions and other related enforcement actions. The Regional Board may provide direction to staff. (Mark Alpert)
- Supporting Document No. 4
- Supporting Document No. 6
- Supporting Document No. 7
- Supporting Document No. 8
12. Approval of Year 2007 Board Meeting Schedule (John Robertus)
Executive Session - Discussion of Ongoing Litigation
The Regional Board may meet in closed session to discuss ongoing litigation for the following cases:
WILLIAM P. JOHNSON, an individual; and VAIL LAKE USA, LLC, a California limited liability company v. REGIONAL WATER QUALITY CONTROL BOARD - SAN DIEGO, a State of California board and DOES 1-50. Superior Court of the State of California for the County of San Diego, Case No. GIC815227; Petition for Writ of Mandate and Complaint for Damages in regards to Administrative Civil Liability Order No. R9-2002-0027 for violations of the statewide Construction Storm Water Permit, Order No. 99-08-DWQ.
Divers' Environmental Conservation Organization v. State Water Resources Control Board, San Diego Superior Court, Case No. GIC819689. Petition for Writ of Mandate challenging waste discharge requirements for U.S. Navy, Naval Station San Diego based on absence of numeric effluent limits for toxic pollutants in discharges of storm water.
Schutte & Koerting, Inc. and Ametek, Inc. v. California State Water Resources Control Board and Regional Water Quality Control Board, San Diego Region. San Diego Superior Court, Case No. GIC 822750. Verified Petition for Writ of Mandate for Breach of Contract.
Schutte & Koerting, Inc. and Ametek, Inc. v. California State Water Resources Control Board and Regional Water Quality Control Board, San Diego Region. San Diego Superior Court, Case No. GIC 824706. Verified Petition for Writ of Mandate for Breach of Contract.
People of the State of California Ex Rel. the Regional Water Quality Control Board, San Diego Region v. Robert Ortega, an individual in his capacity as Acting Commissioner of the International Boundary and Water Commission, United States Section, et al.. United States District Court, Southern District of California, Case No. 01-CV-027BTM(JFS); violation of effluent limits in waste discharge requirements for the International Wastewater Treatment Plant contained in Order No. 96-50 (NPDES No. CA0108928) and of Cease and Desist Order No. 96-52; Referral Order No. 99-61
San Diego Unified School District, a public school district, Plaintiff v. County of San Diego, a public entity, San Diego Regional Water Quality Control Board, a public entity and DOES 1 through 25, inclusive, Defendants. Superior Court of the State of California for the County of San Diego, Case No. GIC840390; First Amended Complaint for: 1) Breach of Contract-Lease Agreement, 2) Breach of Contract- Sharing Agreement, 3) Quantum Meruit; 4) Express Indemnity; 5) Implied Indemnity and Contribution; 6) Equitable Indemnity Contribution; 7) Nuisance; 8) Trespass; 9) Inverse Condemnation; 10) Preliminary and Permanent Injunction; 11) Declaration of Relief Against the County of San Diego; and 12) Declaration of Relief Against the Regional Water Board and County.
Executive Session - Consideration of Initiation
The Regional Board may meet in closed session to consider initiating criminal prosecution against persons who are alleged to have violated the Porter-Cologne Water Quality Control or the federal Clean Water Act. (John Robertus)
Executive Session - Discussion of Pending Litigation
The Regional Board may meet in closed session to discuss pending litigation.
Executive Session - Personnel
The Regional Board may meet in closed session to consider personnel matters involving exempt employees [Authorized under Government Code Section 11126(a)]
17. Arrangements for Next Meeting and Adjournment
Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 9:00 a.m.
Water Quality Control Board
Regional Board Meeting Room
9174 Sky Park Court
San Diego, California
A. On October 10, 2006, the Executive Officer issued Addendum No. 2 to Cleanup and Abatement Order No. 91-47, Thrifty Oil Company, Station #112, 1484 East Washington Ave., El Cajon, CA. Addendum No. 2, rescinds and replaces, thereby updating the ground water monitoring requirements found in Directive 5 of Addendum No. 1 of the CAO 91-47. (Sue Pease)
DIRECTIONS TO REGIONAL BOARD MEETING
From Downtown: I-15 north - take the Aero Drive exit - turn left (west). Proceed to the 3rd stoplight, which is Ruffin Road - turn right. Turn left on Sky Park Court (stoplight). Our building is located at the end of the court - veer to the right into the parking lot.
From the North: I-15 south - take the Balboa Ave. exit - turn right (west). Proceed to the 2nd stoplight, which is Ruffin Road - turn left. Turn right on Sky Park Court (stoplight). Our building is located at the end of the court - veer to the right into the parking lot.