January 21, 2009- San Diego Regional Board Meeting
All links in the Agenda Items refer to supporting documents in Adobe Reader V8.0 format. Also, documents received by the Regional Board as a hard copy have to be scanned and have larger file sizes.
STATE OF CALIFORNIA
REGIONAL WATER QUALITY CONTROL BOARD
SAN DIEGO REGION
Wednesday, January 21, 2009
Water Quality Control Board
Regional Board Meeting Room
9174 Sky Park Court
San Diego, California
The Regional Board requests that all lengthy comments be submitted in writing in advance of the meeting date. To ensure that the Regional Board has the opportunity to fully study and consider written material, comments should be received in the Regional Board's office no later than 5:00 P.M. on Wednesday, January 7, 2009, and should indicate the agenda item to which it is applicable. If the submitted written material is more than 5 pages or contains foldouts, color graphics, maps, etc., 20 copies must be submitted for distribution to the Regional Board members and staff. Except for Agenda Item 6, written material submitted after 5:00 P.M. on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 will not be provided to the Regional Board members and will not be considered by the Regional Board.
PLEASE NOTE THAT SOME ITEMS ON THE AGENDA MAY HAVE BEEN PREVIOUSLY NOTICED WITH EARLIER OR LATER DEADLINES FOR SUBMITTING WRITTEN COMMENTS. IN THOSE CASES THE EARLIER OR LATER DEADLINES APPLY.
Comments on agenda items will be accepted by E-mail subject to the same conditions set forth for other written submissions as long as the total submittal (including attachments) does not exceed five printed pages in length. E-mail must be submitted to: email@example.com to insure consideration by the Regional Board. Type the word “Agenda” in the subject line.
Pursuant to Title 23, California Code of Regulations, Section 648.4, the Regional Board may refuse to admit written testimony into evidence if it is not submitted to the Regional Board in a timely manner, unless the proponent can demonstrate why he or she was unable to submit the material on time or that compliance with the deadline would create an unreasonable hardship.
NOTE C, attached to this Notice, contains a description of the hearing procedures that will be followed by the Regional Board if a separate hearing procedures notice has not been issued for a particular agenda item. Hearings before the Regional Board are normally conducted using procedures that do not include cross-examination. Parties requesting use of more formal procedures must do so in accord with the directions in NOTE C. Any such request, together with supporting material, must be received in the Regional Board’s office no later than 5:00 P.M. on Wednesday, January 7, 2009.
Except for items designated as time certain, there are no set times for agenda items. Items may be taken out of order at the discretion of the Chairman.
1. Roll Call and Introductions
2. PUBLIC FORUM: Any person may address the Board regarding a matter within the Board's jurisdiction that is not related to an item on this Meeting agenda and is not scheduled for a future Meeting. Comments will generally be limited to three minutes, unless otherwise directed by the Chair. Any person wishing to make a longer presentation should contact the Executive Officer at least twenty days prior to the meeting.
3. Minutes of Board Meeting: December 10, 2008.
4. Chairman's, Board Members', State Board liaison's and Executive Officer's Reports: These items are for Board discussion only. No public testimony will be allowed, and the Board will take no formal action.
5. Modification of Waste Discharge Requirements: Warner Development Company, Warner Springs Ranch, San Diego Country (tentative Addendum No. 1 to Order No. 93-013) (Olufisayo Osibodu)
- Executive Officer's Summary Report
- Supporting Document No.1 - Location Map
- Supporting Document No. 2- Transmittal Letter to Warner Development Company
- Supporting Document No. 3- Tentative Addendum No. 1 to Order No. 93-013.
Remainder of the Agenda (Non-Consent Items):
6. PUBLIC HEARING: NPDES Permit Reissuance: City of San Diego Point Loma Ocean Outfall Discharge to Pacific Ocean. Discussion of Tentative NPDES Permit No. CA0107409 and waste discharge requirements for the City of San Diego E. W. Blom Point Loma Metropolitan Wastewater Treatment Plant discharge to the Pacific Ocean through the Point Loma Ocean Outfall, based on a variance from federal secondary treatment standards at Title 40 of the Code of Federal Regulations Part 133 (40 CFR 30), as provided for improved discharges under Clean Water Act section 301(h) and 40 CFR 125, Subpart G. The USEPA and the Regional Board will jointly conduct this public hearing to receive comments related to the tentative NPDES permit. The Regional Board will not adopt the NPDES permit at this hearing, but will formally act on the permit at a subsequent Board meeting. The public comment period for this item will remain open until 5:00 p.m. on January 28, 2009 and all written comments submitted by the deadline will be considered by the Board before taking action on the tentative permit. (Tentative Order No. R9-2009-0001) (Melissa Valdovinos)
- Executive Officer Summary Report
- Supporting Document No. 1 - Site Map
- Supporting Document No. 2 - Joint Notice of Proposed Actions
- Supporting Document No. 3 - USEPA Tentative Decision Document
- Supporting Document No. 4 - Transmittal Letter for Draft NPDES Permit No. CA0107409 and Tentative Order No. R9-2009-0001
- Supporting Document No. 5 - Draft NPDES Permit No. CA0107409 and Tentative Order No. R9-2009-0001
- Supporting Document No. 6 - Comments on Draft NPDES Permit No. CA0107409 and Tentative Order No. R9-2009-0001
- Supporting Document No. 7 - Additional Comments on Draft NPDES Permit No. CA0107409 and Tentative Order No. R9-2009-0001
- Supporting Document No. 8 - Section 301(j)(5) of the Clean Water Act, also know as the Ocean Pollution Reduction Act
7. Closed Session - Discussion of Ongoing Litigation [Authorized under Government Code Section 11126, subd. (e)] The Regional Board may meet in closed session to discuss ongoing litigation for the following cases:
a. Surfrider Foundation v. California Regional Water Quality Control Board -- San Diego Region and California State Water Resources Control Board; (Cabrillo Power I, LLC, Real Party-in-Interest), Petition for Writ of Mandate. San Diego County Superior Court, Case No. 37 2007-00069621-CU-PT-CTL (filed July 2007). (Brian Kelley)
b. Surfrider Foundation v. California Regional Water Quality Control Board -- San Diego Region, (Poseidon Resources, Real Party-in-Interest), Petition for Writ of Mandate. San Diego County Superior Court, Case No. 37-2008-00091983-CU-WM-CTL (filed September 2008). (Michelle Mata)
8. Arrangements for Next Meeting and Adjournment
Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 9:00 a.m.
Water Quality Control Board Regional Board Meeting Room
9174 Sky Park Court San Diego, California
DIRECTIONS TO REGIONAL BOARD MEETING
From Downtown: I-15 north - take the Aero Drive exit - turn left (west). Proceed to the 3rd stoplight, which is Ruffin Road – turn right. Turn left on Sky Park Court (stoplight). Our building is located at the end of the court – veer to the right into the parking lot. From the North: I-15 south - take the Balboa Ave. exit - turn right (west). Proceed to the 2nd stoplight, which is Ruffin Road – turn left. Turn right on Sky Park Court (stoplight). Our building is located at the end of the court – veer to the right into the parking lot.