Basin Plan Amendments to update the list of waters in Tables 3-1 and 4-1; designate Beneficial Uses; revise the Shellfish Harvesting (SHEL) Beneficial Use Definition; and other water quality standards matters
On June 16, 2017, the Water Board adopted Resolution No. R8-2017-0019 amending the Water Quality Control Plan for the Santa Ana River Basin to: Update the List of Waters in Tables 3-1 and 4-1 and Designate Beneficial Uses for Those and Other Select Waters; Revise the Shellfish Harvesting (SHEL) Beneficial Use Definition; Add Antidegradation Targets for REC2 Only Waters; Revise the Compliance Schedule for the Fecal Coliform TMDL for Shellfish Harvesting (SHEL) in Newport Bay; Add New Chapter 6 TMDLs and Introductory Narrative, and Revise Subsequent Chapter Numbering; Add Fecal Indicator Bacteria Footnote to Chapters 4 and 5.
The next steps in the process include approvals from the State Water Resources Control Board (State Water Board), Office of Administrative Law (OAL), and U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (USEPA). All steps have been completed.
USEPA Approval: The amendment and associated administrative order were submitted to EPA on July 27, 2018. EPA approved the provisions of the amendment to Revise Beneficial Uses, Definitions, and other Water Quality Standard Matters on October 12, 2018, and approved Amendments to Revise Schedule for SHEL TMDL on October 15, 2018. (EPA Approval Letters)
OAL Approval: The amendments and associated administrative record were submitted to OAL on August 13, 2018. OAL approved the regulatory provisions of the amendments on September 24, 2018. (Approval letter)
On February 6, 2018, the State Water Board adopted Resolution No. 2018-0007 for the amendments that were approved by the Santa Ana Regional Water Quality Control Board on June 16, 2017 through adoption of Resolution R8-2017-0019.
- State Water Board Resolution No. 2018-0007
- Notice of State Water Board Public Hearing and Comment Period (Comment period closed January 9, 2018 at noon.)
- Draft State Water Board Resolution
- Agenda Item
In response to comments from the City of Riverside during the State Water Board public notice period, Attachments 1 and 2 and the staff report were updated to clarify intent.
- City of Riverside Comment Letter
- Response to Comments
- Attachments 1 and 2, page 16 of Table 3-1 and page 36 of Table 4-1
- Staff Report
- Resolution R8-2017-0019
- Santa Ana Regional Board Staff Report
June 16, 2017
- Attachment 1: Draft Basin Plan Amendment "Clean Version"
- Attachment 2: Draft Basin Plan Amendment "Strikeout-Underline Version"
- Attachment A: Draft Resolution
- Attachment B: Draft Substitute Enviromental Document
- Attachment C: Comment Letters (8) see below under Stakeholder Comments/Board Staff Responses
- Attachment D: Responses to Comment Letters (2) see below under Stakeholder Comments/Board Staff Responses
- Notice of Public Hearing - May 17, 2017
December 9, 2016 Regional Board Hearing to Adopt Basin Plan Amendments to: Update the List of Waters in Tables 3-1 and 4-1 and Designate Beneficial Uses; Remove REC1 Fecal Coliform Water Quality Objectives for Enclosed Bays and Estuaries; Remove Fecal Coliform TMDL for Water Contact Recreation (REC1) for Newport Bay; Revise the Shellfish Harvesting (SHEL) Beneficial Use Definition; Add Antidegradation Targets for REC2 Only Waters; Add New Chapter 6 Total Maximum Daily Loads
- Update to the Agenda - Item Postponed
- Notice of Public Hearing/Notice of Filing
- Staff Report
- Supplemental Staff Report
- Substitute Environmental Document for Proposed Basin Plan Amendments
Draft Basin Plan Amendments
Stakeholder Comments/Board Staff Responses
- Comment Letters
- U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service email dated November 21, 2016
- Metropolitan Water District letter dated November 29, 2016
- Serrano Water District letter dated November 30, 2016
- Irvine Ranch Water District letter dated November 30, 2016
- Orange County Public Works letter dated November 30, 2016
- Orange County Coastkeeper (OCCK) letter, including Exhibits, dated November 30, 2016
- Orange County Water District letter dated December 13, 2016
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, email dated February 6, 2017
- Responses to Comments
October 4, 2016 California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) Scoping Meeting for Basin Plan Amendments
- Notice of CEQA Scoping Meeting for Basin Plan Amendments to address REC1 objectives for Bays and Estuaries, the FC TMDL for Newport Bay and other water quality standards matters
Please contact Dave Woelfel at 951 782-7960 or David.Woelfel@Waterboards.ca.gov for further information on these Basin Plan Amendments