Santa Ana Region - TMDL - Lake Elsinore and Canyon Lake
2019 Revisions to the Nutrient TMDLs for Lake Elsinore and Canyon Lake
May 3, 2019 Public Workshop
April 9, 2019, References and Administrative Record for Public Review and Peer Review, TMDL Technical Report (Large 900+ MB .zip file)
CEQA Scoping Meeting
December 13, 2018-NOTICE OF CALIFORNIA ENVIRONMENTAL QUALITY ACT (CEQA) PUBLIC SCOPING MEETING, Regarding Amendments to the Water Quality Control Plan for the Santa Ana River Basin to Revise the Total Maximum Daily Loads for Nutrients in Lake Elsinore, Canyon Lake, and the San Jacinto Watershed, Riverside County California
2004 TMDLs for Nutrients in Lake Elsinore and Canyon Lake
Notice of Availability, and Request for Comments within 30-days, Monitoring Plan and Quality Assurance Plan for TMDL Compliance in Lake Elsinore,Canyon Lake, and the San Jacinto Watershed.
In 2012, at the request of the stakeholders, the Regional Board reduced the in-lake and watershed discharge monitoring so that the money could be spent on nutrient control measures, like the alum addition to Canyon Lake and the aeration/mixing system installed in Lake Elsinore. The proposed Monitoring Plan has been modified to reflect current conditions and the past monitoring data.
The watershed stakeholders have submitted a revised monitoring program plan and QAPP (see link above). Regional Board staff has reviewed the proposed revised monitoring program plan and QAPP and is soliciting comments from the public. The link below is to the August 1, 2016 Final QAPP, with the Monitoring Plan included in Appendix C. Please provide any comments, by September 19, 2016, to Ken Theisen at email@example.com. Please call Ken Theisen at (951)320-2028 if there are any questions related to this matter.
Implementation of Nutrient Total Maximum Daily Loads (TMDLs) for Lake Elsinore and Canyon Lake
An amendment to the Basin Plan to incorporate Lake Elsinore and Canyon Lake Nutrient Total Maximum Daily Loads (TMDLs) was approved by the Regional Board on December 20, 2004, by the State Water Resources Control Board on May 19, 2005, by the Office of Administrative Law on July 26, 2005 and by the US Environmental Protection Agency on September 30, 2005. The adopted TMDLs specified a set of implementation tasks, responsible parties, and compliance dates.
The responsible agencies and dischargers in the Lake Elsinore/Canyon Lake watershed have formed a Lake Elsinore and Canyon Lake TMDL Task Force (TMDL Task Force). The TMDL Task Force members are working jointly to implement requirements of the TMDLs. TMDL Task Force members include the following agencies/parties: the US Forest Service, the US Air Force (March Air Reserve Base), March Joint Powers Authority, California Dept. of Transportation (Caltrans), California Dept. of Fish and Game, the County of Riverside, the Riverside County Flood Control and Water Conservation District, Eastern Municipal Water District, Elsinore Valley Municipal Water District, Western Riverside County Agricultural Coalition, and the cities of Lake Elsinore, Canyon Lake, Hemet, San Jacinto, Perris, Moreno Valley, Murrieta, Riverside and Beaumont. The Regional Board is a signatory to the Task Force Agreement and serves as an advisory member of the TMDL Task Force.
Riverside County Final Comprehensive Nutrient Management Plan (CNRP) for compliance with the MS4 Permit and the Lake Elsinore and Canyon Lake Nutrient TMDL
- Revised Final CNRP comment letters
- Revised Final CNRP (1/28/2013)
- Final CNRP (7/02/2012)
- Draft CNRP Comment Letter (3/30/2012)
- Draft CNRP (12/31/2011)
Agriculture Nutrient Management Plan
Water Quality Trading Feasibility Assessment for Agricultural Operators
The TMDL Task Force has submitted several plans and schedules as deliverables of the TMDLs requirements. Regional Board approved these plans and schedules at Board meetings.
- Resolution R8-2006-0031
Resolution Approving the Lake Elsinore and San Jacinto Watersheds Authority Monitoring Program Proposal Submitted Pursuant to the Lake Elsinore and Canyon Lake Nutrient Total Maximum Daily Loads Specified in the Water Quality Control Plan for the Santa Ana River Basin
- Resolution R8-2007-0083
Resolution Approving Plans and Schedules Submitted by the Canyon Lake/Lake Elsinore TMDL Task Force and Individual Discharger Groups Pursuant to the Lake Elsinore and Canyon Lake Nutrient Total Maximum Daily Loads Specified in the Water Quality Control Plan for the Santa Ana River Basin
Reports submitted by the Lake Elsinore and Canyon Lake Nutrient TMDL Task Force:
- Lake Elsinore and Canyon Lake Nutrient TMDL Monitoring Plan (Approved by Regional Board in March 2006)
- In-Lake Sediment Nutrient Reduction Plan for Lake Elsinore (Approved by Regional Board in November 2007)
- Lake Elsinore and Canyon Lake Nutrient TMDL Annual Water Quality Monitoring Report, July 2007 - June 2008, Final Report (January 2009)
- Predicted Effects of Restoration Efforts on Water Quality in Lake Elsinore: Model Development and Results (Anderson, 2006)
- Sediment Nutrient Flux and Oxygen Demand Study for Canyon Lake with Assessment of In-Lake Alternatives (Anderson, 2007)
- Predicted Effects of In-Lake Treatment on Water Quality in Canyon Lake (Anderson, 2007)
- Predicted Effects of External Load Reductions and In-Lake Treatment on Water Quality in Canyon Lake – A supplemental Simulation Study (Anderson, 2008)
- Lake Elsinore & Canyon Lake Nutrient TMDL Annual Water Quality Report, July 2009 – June 2010, Final Report (August 2010)
Resolution Amending the Water Quality Control Plan for the Santa Ana River Basin to Incorporate Nutrient Total Maximum Daily Loads (TMDLs) for Lake Elsinore and Canyon Lake
- Approved by the Office of Administrative Law (OAL) on July 26, 2005.
- Approved by the US Environmental Protection Agency (USEPA) on September 30, 2005.
December 20, 2004 TMDL Workshop Documents
- Notice of Meeting Date Change
- Notice of Public Hearing
- Supplemental Staff Report
- Errata Sheet No. 1
- Errata Sheet No. 2
- Staff Report
- Attachment A
- Attachment B
- Attachment C (CEQA Checklist)
- Attachment D (Comment Letters)
- Response to Comments Received after November 1, 2004
November 30, 2004 - Notice of Regional Board Member Tour of Lake Elsinore
September 17, 2004 TMDL Workshop Documents
June 4, 2004 TMDL Workshop Documents
- Workshop Notice
- Final Document - Part 1
- Final Document - Part 2
- Final Document - Part 3
- Appendix A
- Appendix B
- Attachment A
- Attachment B (CEQA Checklist)
For more information, please contact Yiping Cao at (951)321-4586
Documents are in Adobe Acrobat format (.pdf). A link to the free viewer is below