Water Quality Compliance Program for Dairies & Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations (CAFOs)
The North Coast Regional Water Quality Control Board’s (Regional Water Board) Dairy Program currently regulates waste discharge from dairies under General Waste Discharge Requirements for Dairies in the North Coast Region, Order No. R1-2019-0001 (GWDR). This GWDR was adopted on August 15, 2019.
The GWDR permit applies to existing dairies, new or expanding dairies, previously inactive dairies, and goat, sheep, and water buffalo dairies. Any dairies that do not meet the conditions of the GWDR must apply for an individual permit.
- General Waste Discharge Requirements for Dairies, Order No. R1-2019-0001
- Attachment A - Notice of Intent (NOI)
- Attachment B - Title 27 of the California Code of Regulations, sections 22560-22565
- Attachment C - Definitions
- Attachment D - Monitoring and Reporting Program (MRP) No. R1-2019-0001
- Attachment E – Tribal Cultural Resources Mitigation Program
- Attachment F - Initial Study and Mitigated Negative Declaration
- 2019 Dairy Program Update
- Public Notices
- Email Subscriptions
- Program Contacts
- Annual Permit Fee Schedule
- Historical Dairy Program Information
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Links to Related Agricultural Programs
2019 Dairy Program Update
The Regional Water Board has been regulating all cow dairies in the North Coast region since 2012 under General Waste Discharge Requirements for Dairies, Order R1-2012-0002 and Conditional Waiver of Waste Discharge Requirements, Order R1-2012-0003. General Waste Discharge Requirements for Dairies in the North Coast Region, Order No. R1-2019-0001 (GWDR) was adopted on August 15, 2019, and replaces the 2012 Orders.
- Public Notice
For Order R1-2019-0001 Monitoring and Reporting Program Extensions, Issued November 9, 2020
To receive emails from the North Coast Regional Water Quality Control Board as current information is distributed to our website, please request to be added to our email subscription list by visiting and clicking “Dairies”:http://www.waterboards.ca.gov/resources/email_subscriptions/reg1_subscribe.html
Joshua Luders, (707) 576-2551 Joshua.Luders@waterboards.ca.gov
James Burke, (707) 576-2289 James.Burke@waterboards.ca.gov
North Coast Regional Water Quality Control Board,
5550 Skylane Blvd., Suite A
Santa Rosa, CA 95403
Electronic submittals should be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Annual Permit Fee Schedule
Historical Dairy Program Information
The following historical dairy orders are no longer active but are still linked on our website for viewing:
- Dairy Waiver Renewal Order R1-2016-0045
- National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System Order No. R1-2012-0001
- General Waste Discharge Requirements for Dairies in the North Coast Region, Order No. R1-2012-0002
- Conditional Waiver of Waste Discharge Requirements for Existing Dairies in the North Coast Region, Order No. R1-2012-0003
- Attachments for any of the above Orders can be found by visiting the link below, typing in the Order Number, and clicking “Submit.” The Order will be listed along with the attachments.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
How can I get help filling out forms for the dairy permit and meeting water quality requirements?
For help in filling out forms, please call the Regional Water Board staff at (707) 576-2755. For assistance with meeting water quality requirements, contact your local NRCS, RCD, Farm Bureau, California Dairy Quality Assurance Program, or dairy representative. See Links to Important Agricultural Programs below.
How do I find out what Region my property is in?
To see if your facility is within Region 1, please visit:
Enter your address in the bottom text box titled “To find the Regional Water Board for a particular location, click on the map or enter a street address,” then press “Go!” The appropriate Regional Water Board information will pop up.
Links to Important Agricultural Programs
Environmental Protection Agency (US EPA)
Natural Resource Conservation Service (NRCS)
Resource Conservation Districts (RCDs)
Marin County RCD
Gold Ridge RCD
Mendocino County RCD
Humboldt County RCD
Trinity County RCD
Siskyou County RCD
Shasta Valley RCD
Central Modoc RCD
California Dairy Quality Assurance Program
University of California Cooperative Extension
Humboldt – Del Norte Counties
Western United Dairies
EPA link to CAFOs
California Department of Food and Agriculture (CDFA)
State Water Resources Control Board – NPDES CAFO Program
North Coast Regional Water Quality Control Board TMDL Issues
San Francisco Bay Regional Water Quality Control Board – Confined Animal Facilities
Central Valley Region 5 – Confined Animal Facilities