Biological Objectives Basin Plan Amendment
The San Diego Water Board is responsible for the regulation, protection and administration of water quality. The Water Quality Control Plan for the San Diego Basin (Basin Plan) designates beneficial uses for water bodies in the San Diego Region, and establishes water quality objectives and implementation plans to protect those beneficial uses.
Existing water quality objectives in the San Diego Water Board's Basin Plan emphasize the chemical integrity of waters on a pollutant by pollutant basis, which might not adequately protect the biological integrity of waters. A water quality objective for biological condition is critical to restoring and maintaining the biological integrity of the region's waters.
On May 13, 2015, the San Diego Water Board adopted Resolution No 2015-0043, "Adopting a Prioritized List of Suggested Basin Plan Revisions Developed Through the 2014 Basin Plan Review" (Resolution). In adopting the Resolution, the Board members identified priority focus areas for revision of the Basin Plan. Biological Objectives were identified as a Tier 1 Issue.
Following the identification of Biological Objectives as a Tier 1 issue, San Diego Water Board staff began working on the development of Biological Objectives. On January 22, 2018, the San Diego Water Board released an administrative draft of the proposed Basin Plan Amendment and Staff Report, in order to solicit early public feedback prior to releasing a formal draft. A public workshop on the administrative draft was also held on February 14, 2018.
On February 28, 2019, San Diego Water Board staff released, for public review and comment, the proposed Basin Plan Amendments and Staff Report, including a Substitute Environmental Document (see below). San Diego Water Board staff will host a public workshop on April 18, 2019, to provide information and receive public input on the proposed Basin Plan amendment, Staff Report, and Substitute Environmental Document.
Changes to the Basin Plan require a Basin Plan amendment. All Basin Plan Amendments are subject to a full public participation and hearing process prior to adoption by the San Diego Water Board. Basin Plan Amendments also must be approved by the State Water Resources Control Board (State Water Board), Office of Administrative Law (OAL) and, in many cases, the US Environmental Protection Agency (USEPA).
- NEW: Peer Review Request, Response, and Review Documents are now available on the Water Boards Peer Review website (5/31/2019).
- UPDATED: Public Comment Period Extended to June 1, 2019. For Public Comment: Proposed Basin Plan Amendment and Draft Staff Report, including Substitute Environmental Document (February 28, 2019). Public comments on the proposed Basin Plan Amendment and Draft Staff Report, including Substitute Environmental Document, are due June 1, 2019. For more information on submitting public comments, please see the Notice of Opportunity to Comment and Notice of Public Workshop below.
Public Comments Received on Proposed Basin Plan Amendment and Draft Staff Report, including Substitute Environmental Document (6/07/2019)
- City of La Mesa
- City of San Diego
- County of Orange
- County of San Diego
- County of San Diego Copermittees
- Coalition of Non-Governmental Organizations
- Riverside County Flood Control and Water Conservation District
- San Diego Region Irrigated Lands Group
- California Stormwater Quality Association
- Calleguas Creek TMDL Group
- Central Valley Clean Water Association
Meetings and Workshops
- Public Workshop April 18, 2019
- Public Workshop February 14, 2018
- Notice of California Environmental Quality Act Scoping Meeting - Biological Objectives Basin Plan Amendment
- CEQA Scoping Meeting Presentation - July 28, 2016
Older Public Documents
- Administrative Draft of Basin Plan Amendment and Staff Report (January 22, 2018). Public comments on the Administrative Draft are due February 23, 2018. For information on submitting public comments please see the Notice of Public Release of Administrative Draft and Public Workshop below.
- Administrative Draft Basin Plan Chapter 3 Proposed Changes
- Administrative Draft Basin Plan Chapter 4 Proposed Changes
- Administrative Draft Staff Report
- Public Comments Received on the Administrative Draft (February 23, 2018)
Subscribe to our Biological Objectives for the San Diego Region email list to receive notifications and the latest updates. After subscribing, you will need to check your email host for a confirmation email to complete the subscription.
Subscribe to our other email lists. See the "Special Topics" section.
- Chad Loflen - Senior Environmental Scientist