Southern Lost Hills Oilfield Beneficial Use Evaluation
Evaluation of Municipal and Domestic Supply (MUN) and Agricultural Supply (AGR) Beneficial Uses in Groundwater within a Portion of the Southern Lost Hills Oilfield.
In order to ensure appropriate beneficial use protection, the Central Valley Regional Water Quality Control Board (Central Valley Water Board) adopted an amendment to the Water Quality Control Plan for the Tulare Lake Basin (Basin Plan) to remove MUN and AGR designations from a horizontally and vertically delineated portion of the groundwater in the Southern Lost Hills Oilfield.
The Board is continuing a multi-year process under which it is evaluating the beneficial uses assigned to surface and groundwaters by the Board's Basin Plans. As a part of that process, the Board:
- Evaluated whether a portion of the groundwater in the Southern Lost Hills Oilfield actually supports the Municipal and Domestic Supply (MUN) beneficial use, and determined it is eligible for de-designation consistent with State Water Board Resolution No. 88-63 (Sources of Drinking Water Policy).
- Evaluated whether a portion of the groundwater in the Southern Lost Hills Oilfield supports the Agricultural Supply (AGR) beneficial use and determined de-designation is appropriate.
- De-designated the MUN and Agricultural supply (AGR) beneficial uses from groundwater in portions of the Southern Lost Hills where those beneficial uses have not been historically supported and/or where those beneficial uses are not currently supported.
- Considered the adoption of site-specific objectives where a full range of AGR beneficial uses (for example, irrigation of salt-sensitive crops using groundwater) have not historically been supported and/or where a full range of AGR beneficial uses are not currently supported.
State Water Resources Control Board Approval of Basin Plan Amendment
- Memorandum to State Board Regarding the Southern Lost Hills Oilfield Basin Plan Amendment and Potential Future Central Valley Water Board Beneficial Use De-designations
- Notice of State Board Consideration of Approval – Southern Lost Hills Oilfield Basin Plan Amendment (English version)
- Notice of State Board Consideration of Approval – Southern Lost Hills Oilfield Basin Plan Amendment (Spanish version)
- Aviso de consideración sobre la aprobación de La Junta Estatal - una Enmienda al Plan de la Cuenca para la región sur del campo petrolífero Lost Hills (Versión en español)
- Executive Officer Corrections Memorandum, dated 11 August 2023. Minor, non-substantive corrections to the Basin Plan Amendment language adopted by Central Valley Water Board Resolution R5-2022-0035
- State Board Notice of Opportunity to Comment
Comment Period Ends 15 October 2022 at 12:00 PM
- State Board Notice of Basin Plan Approval Consideration Meeting - POSTPONED
RESCHEDULED FOR 7 NOVEMBER 2023 - See Notices Above for New Meeting Date
Basin Plan Amendment and Draft Staff Report - Public Comment Period 25 March to 9 May 2022
Amendments to the Water Quality Control Plan for the Tulare Lake Basin
The deadline to submit written comments on the Proposed Basin Plan Amendments is 5:00 pm on 9 May 2022.
No comments received.
- Adopted Resolution No. R5-2022-0035, Amendment to the Water Quality Control Plan For the Tulare Lake Basin to Remove the Municipal and Domestic Supply (MUN) and Agricultural Supply (AGR) Beneficial Uses From Groundwater Within a Designated Horizontal and Vertical Portion of the Southern Lost Hills Oilfield, Adopted on 10 June 2022
- Final Staff Report
- Notice of Public Hearing – Southern Lost Hills Oilfield Basin Plan Amendment Project
- Draft Staff Report
- Draft Staff Report Tables
- Draft Staff Report Figures
- Applicable Appendices
30 November 2020 from 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM – CEQA Public Workshop and Scoping Online Meeting
4 March 2020 - Tribal Consultation
For more information:
- Program Contact