Central Valley Salinity Alternatives for Long-Term Sustainability (CV-SALTS)
- Recorded Salt Control Program Webinar – 10 February 2021
- FAQ: Early Action Plans - Drinking Water Data Gathering and Interim Water Supplies
- Upcoming Salt Control Program Webinar - February 10, 2021 from 10 am to 12 pm
- Implementation Notice of Intent Forms and Guidances
- Final Central Valley Water Board Resolution No. R5-2020-0057 with Adopted Basin Plan Amendments Language for Revisions to the Salt and Nitrate Control Program
Table of Contents
Overview of the CV-SALTS Program
Elevated salinity and nitrates in surface water and groundwater are increasing problems affecting much of California, other western states, and arid regions throughout the world. In California, as surface and groundwater supplies become scarcer, and as wastewater streams become more concentrated, salinity and nitrate impairments are occurring with greater frequency and magnitude.
2006: The Central Valley Water Board, the State Water Board, and stakeholders began a joint effort to address the issues and initiated Central Valley Salinity Alternatives for Long-Term Sustainability (CV-SALTS).
2008: The Central Valley Salinity Coalition (CVSC) was formed. CVSC represents stakeholder groups working with the Board in the CV-SALTS effort.
2017: The Central Valley Water Board accepted a Central Valley-wide Salt and Nitrate Management Plan (SNMP) that was submitted by CV-SALTS.
2018: The Central Valley Water Board adopted a Salt and Nitrate Control Program implementing SNMP recommendations.
2019: State Water Board approved the Salt and Nitrate Control Program. State Water Board also directed targeted revisions to the amendment adopted by the Central Valley Water Board in Resolution R5-2018-0034 on 31 May 2018.
January 2020: Office of Administrative Law approved the Salt and Nitrate Control Program.
November 2020: U.S. Environmental Protection Agency approved most of the surface water provisions of the Salt and Nitrate Control Program.
Subscribe to our CV-SALTS Program email list to receive notifications and the latest updates. After subscribing, you will need to check your email host for a confirmation email to complete the subscription.
Subscribe to our other email lists.
Facts and Information
- CV-SALTS Info Webpage - Learn More About the Salt and Nitrate Control Program
- Fiscal Year 15/16 Annual Report Video
(Video will open in YouTube)