December 6-7, 2018 Board Agenda
Central Coast Water Board Offices
895 Aerovista Place, Suite 101
San Luis Obispo, California
Items are numbered for identification purposes only and may be considered out of order. All times indicated and the order of business are approximate and subject to change. Items scheduled for a particular day may be moved to a different day to facilitate the Board’s business. Any item scheduled for the first day of a multi-day Board meeting may be delayed or continued to the next day. Closed session items may be considered on either or both days.
- Roll Call - audio 1 & 2
[Tammie Olson, Clerk to the Board, 805/549-3140, Tammie.Olson@Waterboards.ca.gov]
- Introductions, Staff Recognition, and Awards - audio 1 & 2
[John Robertson, Executive Officer, 805/549-3140, John.Robertson@waterboards.ca.gov]
- Approval of November 8-9, 2018, Board Meeting minutes audio
- Report by Regional Board Members audio
- Report by State Water Resources Control Board Liaison [Dorene D'Adamo, 916/341-5609] audio
- Central Coast Region Response to Climate Change audio 6a, audio 6b
[Dominic Roques, 805/542-4780, Dominic.Roques@waterboards.ca.gov ]
The following speakers are expected to present information during this item:
- Patrick Barnard, Research Geologist, Pacific Coastal and Marine Science Center, USGS (added)
- Chris Read, Sustainability Manager, City of San Luis Obispo
- Mladen Bandov, Water Resources Engineer, County of San Luis Obispo Public Works
- Presentation 1: Dominic Roques, Staff
- Presentation 2: Patrick Barnard, Research Geologist, Pacific Coastal and Marine Science Center, USGS
- Presentation 3: Chris Read, Sustainability Manager, City of San Luis Obispo.
- Presentation 4: Mladen Bandov, Water Resources Engineer, County of San Luis Obispo Public Works
- Public forum will be heard directly after the lunch break, not before 1:00 p.m. Any person may address the Board regarding a matter within the Board's jurisdiction that is not related to an item on this meeting agenda. Comments will generally be limited to three minutes, unless otherwise directed by the Chair. Any person wishing to make a longer presentation should contact the Executive Officer at least one week prior to the meeting. Comments regarding pending adjudicatory matters will not be permitted. audio
- Attachment 1: Letter from Amy Anderson dated 11/29/18.
- Revision of Waste Discharge Requirements and Reissuance of NPDES Permit for Monterey One Water Regional Wastewater Treatment Plant, Monterey County, Order No. R3-2018-0017 audio
[Peter von Langen, 805/549-3688, Peter.vonLangen@waterboards.ca.gov]STAFF REPORT
- Attachment 1: Proposed Order No. R3-2018-0017
- Attachment 2: Comment Letter from The Otter Project dated July 20, 2018.
- Attachment 3: Nitrogen Mass Balance prepared by Trussell Technologies Inc
- Attachment 1: Email dated 11/29/18 from Denise Conners
- Enforcement Report [Thea Tryon, 805/542-4776, Thea.Tryon@Waterboards.ca.gov ] audio
- Roll Call / Introductions audio 10 & 11
[Tammie Olson, Clerk to the Board, 805/549-3140, Tammie.Olson@Waterboards.ca.gov]
- Introductions, Staff Recognition, and Awards audio 10 & 11
[John Robertson, Executive Officer, 805/549-3140, John.Robertson@Waterboards.ca.gov]
- Any person may address the Board regarding a matter within the Board's jurisdiction that is not related to an item on this meeting agenda. Comments will generally be limited to three minutes, unless otherwise directed by the Chair. Any person wishing to make a longer presentation should contact the Executive Officer at least one week prior to the meeting. Comments regarding pending adjudicatory matters will not be permitted. audio
Water Quality Control Planning
- Consider a Resolution Adopting the Atascadero Local Area Management Program for Implementation of the State Onsite Wastewater Treatment System Policy, Resolution No. R3-2018-0007 audio
[Cecile DeMartini, 805/542-4782, Cecile.Demartini@Waterboards.ca.gov]
- Presentation : Cecile DeMartini
- Cannabis Regulatory Program Update audio
[Arwen Wyatt-Mair, 805/542-4695, Arwen.firstname.lastname@example.org]
- Presentation : Arwen Wyatt-Mair
- Executive Officer’s Report audio 15a, audio 15b
[John Robertson, Executive Officer, 805/549-3140, John.Robertson@waterboards.ca.gov]STAFF REPORT
- Attachment 1: Table 1 - 401 Water Quality Certification Applications Received
- Attachment 2: Table 2 - 401 Water Quality Certifications Issued
- Attachment 3: Table 3 - Groundwater Section, Case Closure Performance Scoreboard
- Attachment 4: Table 4 - Groundwater Case Closures
- Attachment 5: Table 5 - Enrollments in General Orders/Waivers
- Presentation : Jennifer Eppr
- Discussion of Cases in Litigation [Staff Counsel Stephanie Yu]
The Board may meet in closed session to discuss pending litigation, as authorized by Government Code (GC) Section 11126(e). Current litigation involving the Board:
Litigation filed against the Central Coast Water Board:
- 2017 Agricultural Discharges Order– Monterey Coastkeeper, et al. v. Regional Water Quality Control Board, Central Coast Region (Sacramento County Superior Court, Case No. 34-2017-80002655)
Litigation filed by the Central Coast Water Board against other parties, including referrals to the Office of the Attorney General:
- United States, et al. v. HVI Cat Canyon, Inc., f/k/a Greka Oil & Gas, Inc. (U.S. District Court, Central District of California, Case No. CV 11-05097 FMO (PLAx))
- Referral to Attorney General concerning Plains Pipeline, LP, Refugio Oil Spill, Gaviota, Santa Barbara County (Resolution No. R3-2015-0026)
The Board may discuss significant exposure to litigation as authorized by GC Section 11126(e)(2)(B). The Board may also decide whether to initiate litigation as authorized by GC Section 11126(e)(2)(C). The Board is not required to allow public comment on closed session items. (See GC Section 11125.7(d).
Deliberation on Decision after Hearing
The Board may meet in closed session to deliberate on a decision to be reached based upon evidence introduced in a hearing, as authorized by GC Section 11126(c)(3).
The Board may meet in closed session to discuss the appointment, evaluation of performance, or dismissal of a public employee or to hear complaints or charges brought against that employee by another employee unless the employee requests a public hearing. This closed session is authorized under Government Code Section 11126(a)(1).
The next scheduled Board meeting is January, 31 - February 1, 2019, in San Luis Obispo.
If you have questions about the agenda, contact Tammie Olson at (805) 549-3140.
Written comments must generally be received prior to the Board meeting by the comment deadline for the specific agenda item. Written comments that are received after deadlines set by item-specific notices and/or hearing procedures will not generally be admitted. Any person requesting to submit late materials must demonstrate good cause, and the Chair must find that the admission of the late materials would not prejudice the Central Coast Water Board or any designated party. The Chair may modify this rule to avoid severe hardship. Unless otherwise specified, all parties and interested persons must submit presentation materials and requests for extra time to speak to the Board for agendized items by 12:00pm on Monday, December 3, 2018. A late request for extra time will not prevent the party from speaking to the Board for the three minutes given to all members of the public.
Submittals are to be sent via e-mail to the Clerk to the Board at Tammie.Olson@waterboards.ca.gov. Please indicate in the subject line, “12/6-12/7/18 BOARD MEETING (fill in bolded subject from appropriate item).” If you have questions about the agenda, contact the Clerk to the Board at (805) 549-3140.
Agenda and items are available electronically at: https://www.waterboards.ca.gov/centralcoast/board_info/agendas/
Instructions regarding board meeting conduct and procedures can be found on the Central Coast Water Board’s website: https://www.swrcb.ca.gov/centralcoast/board_info/agendas/board_meeting_conduct.pdf
If you require an interpreter, please contact the Clerk of the Board Tammie Olson at (805) 549-3140 or email Tammie.Olson@waterboards.ca.gov by 12:00pm on Monday, December 3, 2018.