Discharge of Dredged and Fill Material - 401 Water Quality Certification and Waste Discharge Requirements
Most projects requiring 401 Water Quality Certification fall into two categories:
- Projects involving discharges of dredged or fill material to waters of the United States including wetlands and other water bodies. Such discharges may result from navigational dredging, flood control channelization, levee construction, channel clearing, fill of wetlands for development, or other activities.
These projects involve the removal or placement of soil, sediment, and other materials in or near water bodies and require Corps permits under CWA Section 404. This information sheet concerns this category of activities.
- Projects involving construction of hydroelectric dams, power plants, and other facilities requiring Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) licenses and projects which must secure a State water rights permit. The State Board reviews these projects for certification.
For more information on certification of projects seeking FERC licenses and water rights permits, contact:Division of Water Rights
State Water Resources Control Board
P.O. Box 2000
Sacramento, CA 95812-2000
(916) 341-5300 (information)
(916) 341-5308 (certification team leader)
Please download Instructions for Filling Out the CWA Section 401 Water Quality Certification Application. This will explain how to fill out the 401 application and list additional materials to send in with the application. Most certification application processes are delayed by not having a complete application and necessary information.
An application fee should accompany 401 applications. The 401
Fee Calculator* describes required fee deposits and additional
fees and how they are calculated.
*Be aware that this file may take several minutes to download.
Some projects (such as emergency projects and small habitat restoration projects) requiring 401 Water Quality Certification qualify for coverage under general orders. For more information on these general orders see the following links:
- General Orders for Coverage under Certain Federal Permits
- General Orders for Coverage under Statewide Initiatives
When submitting reports and notifications required by a 401 Water Quality Certification, please use the following coversheet:
Projects that only discharge dredge or fill material to waters of the State, and not waters of the United States, must apply for Waste Discharge Requirements.
- General Waste Discharge Requirements for Dredged or Fill Discharges to Waters Deemed by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to be Outside Federal Jurisdiction
- Individual Waste Discharge Requirements Application
21 Day Public Notices for Pending 401 Certifications
- State Route192 Toro Canyon Bridge Scour Repair, July 17, 2019 - August 7, 2019
- 12415 Lorenzo Avenue Storm Damage Repair, July 8,2019 - July 29, 2019
- Salinas Box Culvert (Andree Bird Refuge Culvert) Maintenance, July 8, 2019 - July 29, 2019
- Trout Creek Bridge Replacement, July 1, 2019 - July 22, 2019
- Municipal Wharves I and II Structural Maintenance Program, July 2, 2019 - July 23, 2019
- Moss Landing Harbor District B Dock and J Dock Pile Replacement, June 25, 2019 - July 16, 2019
- Twin Creeks Mixed Use Development -- Tract 2785, June 24, 2019 - July 15, 2019
- Salinas River Bank Stabilization, June 24, 2019 - July 15, 2019
- Fernald Point Lane Bridge Replacement, June 24, 2019 - July 15, 2019
- Cayucos Sustainable Water, June 19, 2019 – July 10, 2019
- Tajiguas Landfill Pila Creek Maintenance and Sedimentation Basins Activities, June 19, 2019 – July 10, 2019
- Akhter Stream Grading and Restoration, June 18, 2019 – July 9, 2019
- Dry Creek Road Reconstruction, June 18, 2019 – July 9, 2019
- City of San Luis Obispo Urban Streams Maintenance, June 12, 2019 – July 3, 2019
Other Public Notices
- Notice of Intent to Use Finding of No Significant Impact in Lieu of a Negative Declaration for the San Antonio Road West Bridge Maintenance Project
- Extended Notice of Opportunity to Comment on Draft Cleanup and Abatement Order for Kern Ridge Growers, LLC
- Public Comments due by November 16, 2018
- 401 Certification for Montecito Mudslide 18Storm1 Emergency Response Project
Please call the Central Coast Regional Board Control Board at (805) 549-3147 for questions on the 401 Program.
Visit the State Board 401 Water Certification Program for further information.