Pesticide Water Quality Criteria Development
The Central Coast Water Board contracted with the University of California Davis (UC Davis) to derive water quality criteria for neonicotinoid insecticides. Draft criteria derivation reports for clothianidin and thiamethoxam and a final report for imidacloprid are available on this website, see below.
Under previous contracts with the Central Valley Water Board, UC Davis developed a methodology to derive water quality criteria for pesticides and used this methodology to derive water quality criteria for 14 other pesticides. Links to those pesticide criteria derivation reports and the methodology used to derive them are available at the Central Valley Water Board website.
UC Davis Clothianidin and Thiamethoxam Water Quality Criteria
The draft UC Davis criteria reports for clothianidin and thiamethoxam were submitted for scientific peer review in October 2020 and are posted here for public review and comment. Note – responses to public comments will be limited to those focused on the technical aspects of the criteria derivation described in the UC Davis draft technical reports. Comments related to policy and/or implementation are outside the scope of these reports.
- Notice of Opportunity for Public Comment –The Central Coast Water Board will accept comments on two draft technical reports prepared by UC Davis on the derivation of clothianidin and thiamethoxam water quality criteria. Written comments must be received electronically by 12:00 noon on December 1, 2020.
- Water Quality Criteria Report for Clothianidin – This final project report describes the acute and chronic water quality criteria derived by UC Davis for the insecticide clothianidin. The clothianidin report attachment contains the appendices with the data tables.
- Water Quality Criteria Report for Thiamethoxam – This final project report describes the acute and chronic water quality criteria derived by UC Davis for the insecticide thiamethoxam. The thiamethoxam report attachment contains the appendices with the data tables.
UC Davis Imidacloprid Water Quality Criteria
- Water Quality Criteria Report for Imidacloprid – This final project report describes the acute and chronic water quality criteria derived by UC Davis for the insecticide imidacloprid
- Responses to Public Comments and Peer Reviews – This document contains the public comments and peer review comments of the Draft Imidacloprid Criteria Technical Report as well as the UC Davis responses to those comments.
Scientific Peer Reviews
- Peer Review Request for Imidacloprid Criteria Report
- Christian H. Krupke, Ph.D., Purdue University
- Francisco Sánchez-Bayo, Ph.D., The University of Sydney, Australia
- Els Smit, Ph.D., National Institute of Public Health and the Environment, Centre for Safety of Substances and Products, Bilthoven, The Netherlands
- Paul J. Van den Brink, Ph.D., Aquatic Ecology and Water Quality Management Group, Wageningen University, The Netherlands
- Draft Imidacloprid Criteria Technical Report – This draft technical report describes the water quality criteria derived for the insecticide imidacloprid.
Please direct questions about the pesticide water quality criteria to Peter Meertens, Environmental Scientist, at (805)549-3869 or Peter.Meertens@waterboards.ca.gov.
To be notified of updates and meetings please subscribe to the Pesticide Water Quality Criteria Development subscription list.