Pajaro River Nitrate TMDL
This nitrate TMDL has been superseded by the TMDL project entitled Total Maximum Daily Loads for Nitrogen Compounds and Orthophosphate in Streams of the Pajaro River Basin which was adopted by Resolution No. R3-2015-0004 on July 30, 2015 by the Central Coast Regional Water Quality Control Board.
Problem Statement - Pajaro River and Llagas Creek were identified as impaired for nutrients and included on the 1998 303(d) list. The listings do not specify whether it was based on violation of the narrative objective for biostimulatory substances, for violations of objectives for particular nutrients, or a combination. In addition, staff reports recommend listing of Llagas Creek due to violation of the municipal and domestic supply (MUN) numeric water quality objective of 10 milligrams per liter (mg/L) nitrate as nitrogen (nitrate-N). Except for violation of the nitrate water quality objective for Llagas Creek, neither the staff reports nor the actual listing specify a particular nutrient as cause for the impairment of Pajaro River or Llagas Creek.
This TMDL has been replaced and superseded by the Pajaro River nutrients TMDLs. The following documentation is archived here for informational purposes only.
- October 13, 2006 - USEPA approves the Pajaro River Nitrate TMDL
- USEPA approval letter
- December 2, 2005 - Central Coast Water Board approves the Pajaro River Nitrate TMDL
- Larry Harlan
Status and Public Notices
- Status: Please see TMDLs for nitrogen compounds and orthophosphate in streams of the Pajaro River Basin.
- Report Card - June 2012
- Public Notice: none at this time.
- Central Coast Water Board
- approved December 2, 2005.
- US Environmental Protection Agency
- approved October 13, 2006, which is the effective date.