Santa Maria Watershed TMDL - Nutrients
Problem Statement - Many surface waterbodies in the lower Santa Maria River and Oso Flaco Lake watersheds are impaired due to exceedances of water quality criteria for nitrate, unionized ammonia, and associated nutrient-related problems such as excessive orthophosphate, dissolved oxygen imbalances, toxicity, and excess algal biomass. As a result, a wide range of current or potential designated beneficial uses – including aquatic habitat, drinking water supply, groundwater recharge, and agricultural supply - are not being supported in these waterbodies, and therefore these impairments constitute a serious water quality problem. This project identifies the water quality impairments and describes a plan to achieve water quality objectives and ultimately restore the designated beneficial uses of surface waters.
- March 8, 2016 - USEPA approves the Santa Maria Watershed Nutrients TMDL
- May 22, 2014 - OAL approves the Santa Maria Watershed Nutrients TMDL
- February 4, 2014 - State Water Resources Control Board approves the Santa Maria Watershed Nutrients TMDL
- May 30, 2013 - Central Coast Water Board adopts the Santa Maria Watershed Nutrients TMDL
- Staff Report
- Attachment 1: Resolution R3-2013-0013 and Basin Plan Amendment
- Attachment 2: Final Project Report (includes Appendices A - F)
- Attachment 3: CEQA Substitute Document
- Attachment 4: Notice of Opportunity for Public Comment
- Attachment 5: Public Comment and Staff Responses
- Attachment 6: Notice of Public Hearing and Notice of Filing a Draft Environmental Document
- Staff Report
- Larry Harlan
Status and Public Notices
- Status: Fully approved and effective.
- Report Card - Orcutt Creek (2015)
- Report Card - Oso Flaco Creek (2015)
- Public Notice: None at this time.
- Central Coast Water Board
- adopted May 30, 2013.
- State Water Resources Control Board
- approved February 4, 2014.
- Office of Administrative Law
- approved May 22, 2014, which is the effective date.
- US Environmental Protection Agency
- approved March 8, 2016.