Discharge of Dredged and Fill Material - 401 Water Quality Certification and Waste Discharge Requirements
Most projects requiring 401 Water Quality Certification fall into two categories:
- Projects involving discharges of dredged or fill material to waters of the United States including wetlands and other water bodies. Such discharges may result from navigational dredging, flood control channelization, levee construction, channel clearing, fill of wetlands for development, or other activities.
These projects involve the removal or placement of soil, sediment, and other materials in or near water bodies and require Corps permits under CWA Section 404. This information sheet concerns this category of activities.
- Projects involving construction of hydroelectric dams, power plants, and other facilities requiring Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) licenses and projects which must secure a State water rights permit. The State Board reviews these projects for certification.
For more information on certification of projects seeking FERC licenses and water rights permits, contact:Division of Water Rights
State Water Resources Control Board
P.O. Box 2000
Sacramento, CA 95812-2000
(916) 341-5300 (information)
(916) 341-5308 (certification team leader)
Please download Instructions for Filling Out the CWA Section 401 Water Quality Certification Application. This will explain how to fill out the 401 application and list additional materials to send in with the application. Most certification application processes are delayed by not having a complete application and necessary information.
An application fee should accompany 401 applications. The 401
Fee Calculator* describes required fee deposits and additional
fees and how they are calculated.
*Be aware that this file may take several minutes to download.
Some projects (such as emergency projects and small habitat restoration projects) requiring 401 Water Quality Certification qualify for coverage under general orders. For more information on these general orders see the following links:
- General Orders for Coverage under Certain Federal Permits
- General Orders for Coverage under Statewide Initiatives
When submitting reports and notifications required by a 401 Water Quality Certification, please use the following coversheet:
Projects that only discharge dredge or fill material to waters of the State, and not waters of the United States, must apply for Waste Discharge Requirements.
- General Waste Discharge Requirements for Dredged or Fill Discharges to Waters Deemed by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to be Outside Federal Jurisdiction
- Individual Waste Discharge Requirements Application
21 Day Public Notices for Pending 401 Certifications
- Garrapatos Valley Road Emergency Repair, April 25, 2018 - May 16, 2018
- Monterey Peninsula Water Supply, April 16, 2018 - May 7, 2018
- Seawater Intake Pipeline Support System Remediation, April 6, 2018 - April 27, 2018
- Davy Brown and Munch Creek Aquatic Organism Passage, April 6, 2018 - April 27, 2018
- Bryant Canyon Channel Outfall, April 6, 2018 - April 27, 2018
- Frantoio Grove, April 4, 2018 - April 25, 2018
- Redwood Road Over Brown's Creek Tributary Bridge Replacement, April 4, 2018 - April 25, 2018
- 340 Baker Road Creek Restoration, April 4, 2018 - April 25, 2018
- Bridge Street Bridge Rehabilitation, March 28, 2018 - April 18, 2018
- Bello Street Bridge Replacement, March 28, 2018 - April 18, 2018
- Felton Diversion Inflatable Bladder Replacement, March 27, 2018 - April 17, 2018
- Union Pacific Railroad Coast Subdivision Milepost 69.65 Bridge Replacement, March 27, 2018 - April 17, 2018
- Ellwood Mesa Coastal Trails and Habitat Restoration, March 27, 2018 - April 17, 2018
- Gaviota Pier Repair, March 26, 2018 - April 16, 2018
- Morro Bay Power Plant Marine Terminal Decommissioning, March 13, 2018 - April 3, 2018
- Water Pump Access Platform, March 13, 2018 - April 3, 2018
Other Public Notices
Please call the Central Coast Regional Board Control Board at (805) 549-3147 for questions on the 401 Program.
Visit the State Board 401 Water Certification Program for further information.