Discharge of Dredged and Fill Material - 401 Water Quality Certification and Waste Discharge Requirements
Most projects requiring 401 Water Quality Certification fall into two categories:
- Projects involving discharges of dredged or fill material to waters of the United States including wetlands and other water bodies. Such discharges may result from navigational dredging, flood control channelization, levee construction, channel clearing, fill of wetlands for development, or other activities.
These projects involve the removal or placement of soil, sediment, and other materials in or near water bodies and require Corps permits under CWA Section 404. This information sheet concerns this category of activities.
- Projects involving construction of hydroelectric dams, power plants, and other facilities requiring Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) licenses and projects which must secure a State water rights permit. The State Board reviews these projects for certification.
For more information on certification of projects seeking FERC licenses and water rights permits, contact:Division of Water Rights
State Water Resources Control Board
P.O. Box 2000
Sacramento, CA 95812-2000
(916) 341-5300 (information)
(916) 341-5308 (certification team leader)
Please download Instructions for Filling Out the CWA Section 401 Water Quality Certification Application. This will explain how to fill out the 401 application and list additional materials to send in with the application. Most certification application processes are delayed by not having a complete application and necessary information.
An application fee should accompany 401 applications. The 401
Fee Calculator* describes required fee deposits and additional
fees and how they are calculated.
*Be aware that this file may take several minutes to download.
Some projects (such as emergency projects and small habitat restoration projects) requiring 401 Water Quality Certification qualify for coverage under general orders. For more information on these general orders see the following links:
- General Orders for Coverage under Certain Federal Permits
- General Orders for Coverage under Statewide Initiatives
When submitting reports and notifications required by a 401 Water Quality Certification, please use the following coversheet:
Projects that only discharge dredge or fill material to waters of the State, and not waters of the United States, must apply for Waste Discharge Requirements.
- General Waste Discharge Requirements for Dredged or Fill Discharges to Waters Deemed by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to be Outside Federal Jurisdiction
- Individual Waste Discharge Requirements Application
21 Day Public Notices for Pending 401 Certifications
- PSEP Supply Line 36-9-09 Sections 12,14,16 Replacement, February 1, 2019 – February 22, 2019
- Bolsa Road Fish Passage Improvements, January 28, 2019 – February 18, 2019
- Grassy Bar Oyster Company Inc., January 28, 2019 – February 18, 2019
- Post Fire/Debris Flow Emergency Debris Basin De-silting and Beach Disposal, January 28, 2019 – February 18, 2019
- Huffmann Access Road Improvement, January 14, 2019 – February 4, 2019
- El Camino Real Development Tract 3122, January 14, 2019 – February 4, 2019
- SR 246 Turning Lane for Foley Estates Vineyard and Winery, December 19, 2018 - January 9, 2019
- Santa Barbara Mariculture, December 17, 2018 - January 7, 2019
- Strauss Wind Energy, December 17, 2018 - January 7, 20191
- Hecker Pass North Cluster (Hoey), November 28, 2018 - December 19, 2018
- NSA Monterey Lake Del Monte Sediment and Vegetation Removal, November 28, 2018 - December 19, 2018
- Moss Landing Marine Labs Del Mar Wharf Demo, November 20, 2018 - December 11, 2018
- Santa Cruz Wharf Maintenance, November 20, 2018 - December 11, 2018
- Montecito Water District Highline Repairs, November 20, 2018 - December 11, 2018
- El Toro Creek Bank Armoring, November 14, 2018 - December 5, 2018
- Santa Cruz Branch Rail Line Storm Damage Repairs, November 14, 2018 - December 5, 2018
- Montecito Debris Flow Mitigation, November 14, 2018 - December 5, 2018
Other Public Notices
- Extended Notice of Opportunity to Comment on Draft Cleanup and Abatement Order for Kern Ridge Growers, LLC
- Public Comments due by November 16, 2018
- 401 Certification for Montecito Mudslide 18Storm1 Emergency Response Project
Please call the Central Coast Regional Board Control Board at (805) 549-3147 for questions on the 401 Program.
Visit the State Board 401 Water Certification Program for further information.