Participating in Central Coast Water Board Meetings during the COVID-19 Emergency
Please check this page regularly and again before the board meeting starts as it will be updated with additional information to facilitate the public’s participation in the meeting.
You only need to review this page if you want to comment. Watching the webcast remains unchanged. https://cal-span.org/
Details for September 10-11, 2020 Central Coast Water Board Meeting
Information about participating in the Central Coast Regional Water Board’s remote meeting is farther down on this page and should be reviewed before joining the meeting. Once you have reviewed details on this page, use the link here join the meeting as early as 8:50 a.m. on the meeting day.
Zoom information will be added before the meeting.
You do not need to create a Zoom account to join the meeting.
As a result of the COVID-19 emergency and the Governor’s Executive Orders N-29-20 and N-33-20, this meeting will occur solely via remote presence by video and teleconference. There will not be a physical public access location. The Water Board is conducting the meeting this way to protect public health by avoiding public gatherings and requiring social distancing. At the same time, the Water Board remains committed to transparency. Members of the public will be able to listen to and watch the meeting and comment if desired.
The Water Board asks for patience and cooperation. While every effort has been made to streamline the experience and conduct meetings in the manner to which our stakeholders have grown accustomed, there may be technical issues and human error. We will attempt to correct any issues that arise as soon as we can.
Individuals who require special accommodations are requested to contact the Clerk to the Board by phone at (805)549-3140 or by email at RB3-CommentLetters@Waterboards.ca.gov.
If you only want to watch and/or listen to the Board meeting
The webcast can be viewed through most web browsers from this page: https://cal-span.org/.
Individuals who only want to watch or listen should use this option as it preserves interactive meeting resources for those who are commenting on items.
If you want to provide oral comments to the Board during the meeting
The Water Board will be using a remote meeting service to host the interactive part of the meeting. With the remote participation option, you can either call in or use a computer or mobile device (e.g., mobile phone or tablet) to participate via audio or video conference.
Guidelines for Orderly Participation for Those Who Want to Comment via Zoom During the Meeting
- Remote meetings often lack the same visual and social cues available during public, in-person meetings. Please be respectful and patient so all interested commenters can be fairly heard.
- Call in to the meeting or video conference a few minutes before the scheduled start of the meeting to ensure you can resolve any technical issues before the meeting starts. You will initially be in a virtual waiting room and will remain there until the start of the meeting.
- If the agenda specifies that the item you intend to comment on will not start before a certain time, lease join the remote meeting at least 15 minutes before the specified time.
- You will be muted until it is your turn to speak. While muted, you will be able to hear the Board meeting and can continue watching via the remote meeting service if you have connected from a computer or mobile device.
- Even though you may wish to comment on only one item, the Board encourages you to participate in the entire meeting via the remote meeting service, unless your item has a specified time, because there are at times brief delays associated with the webcast, and it may not be synchronized with the interactive meeting.
- Regardless of whether you participate via phone, computer, or mobile device, please participate from a quiet environment so that the Board can hear you when you are called upon. If you are using the internet to connect to the meeting, try to ensure you have a good connection or strong signal.
- It is important to avoid creating acoustic feedback. If there are other devices near you that are tuned into the meeting, please make sure that the speaker volume of those devices is turned down when it is your turn to participate.
- The Board Chair will maintain decorum during the meeting as is customary in public meetings, and individuals who are disruptive may be removed from the remote meeting service or have their connection muted.
- Other public commenters will be able to see your name (which is not unusual because commenters already have to identify themselves for the record before speaking), and if you call in, other commenters will see the last three digits of your phone number unless you have called in anonymously.
Joining the Meeting Remotely if You Want to Participate
- The Water Board will be using the Zoom meeting service to allow remote participation
- Do not use the webcast if you are participating through the Zoom remote service.
- A link to the Zoom meeting will be posted above.
Participating in the Meeting with Zoom via Telephone
Participating via Video Conference.” When connecting to the Zoom meeting through a computer or mobile device select the option that you are participating by phone call. The Zoom service will give you a participant number that you can then enter on your phone (#[Participant Number]#]).
If you want to use your phone to provide comments but follow along with the video presentations (e.g., because you do not have or want to use a computer microphone or camera), you can do so, but the computer or mobile device will need to be connected to the Zoom meeting using the steps below for “
Participating in the Meeting with Zoom via Video Conference
- The Water Board will be using the Zoom remote meeting service for those who want to provide comments. Do not use the webcast if you are participating through the Zoom remote service. And only use the Zoom service if you want to provide comment.
- You do not need to create a Zoom account to participate in a Water Board meeting. The Zoom link provided by the Water Board is all you will need to join the meeting, but you will need to enter your name so the Board can identify and unmute you from the speaker queue.
- You do not need to install software on your computer to participate. The Zoom service can run within an existing web browser.
- Downloading the Zoom software may, however, provide a superior meeting experience for you. You can download the Zoom client in advance at: https://zoom.us/download
- Familiarize yourself with the Zoom features here: https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/categories/200101697
Requesting to Speak (the “Virtual Speaker Card”)
Persons speaking at Water Board meetings are accustomed to filling out a speaker card. To allow for a more orderly process of identifying speakers in advance, the Water Board will use virtual speaker cards. The virtual speaker card will allow the Board Clerk to identify commenters interested in a particular item, locate them within the Zoom meeting waiting list, and unmute them so they can address the Board at the appropriate time.
Comments will generally be limited to three minutes, unless otherwise directed by the Chair. Any person wishing to make a longer presentation should contact the Executive Officer (via RB3-CommentLetters@waterboards.ca.gov) at least one week prior to the meeting. Comments regarding pending adjudicatory matters will not be permitted.
To request to speak on an item and to receive the Zoom link:
BEFORE THE BOARD MEETING STARTS
- By 8:45 a.m. on the day of the Board meeting:
- Fill out a virtual speaker card using our online form (the form will only be available before the meeting starts).
The Clerk will confirm your request before the meeting start time.
AFTER THE BOARD MEETING BEGINS
- If you are unable to use the form for technical reasons or otherwise,
- Send an email to RB3-CommentLetters@waterboards.ca.gov
- In the subject line, indicate: September 10-11, 2020, Speaker Comment
- In the body of the email, indicate:
- Your name
- Email Address
- Who you represent (i.e., self, another person, an organization)
- The item number and name you wish to speak on (If speaking on Public Forum, please state your topic you will be speaking on)
- Whether you definitely want to speak, or you are unsure and will decide during the item whether you want to speak
- Whether you intend to participate via videoconference or telephonically
- If calling in, please provide the last three digits of the phone number you will be calling from
If you do not submit a form or send an email by 8:45 a.m., please send the email as soon as you can. You may need to begin watching the webcast available at https://cal-span.org/.