Lower Salinas River Watershed Nutrient TMDL
Problem Statement - Many surface waterbodies in the lower Salinas River and Reclamation Canal basin, and the Morro Cojo Slough subwatershed are impaired due to exceedances of water quality criteria for nitrate, unionized ammonia, and associated nutrient-related problems such as excessive orthophosphate, dissolved oxygen imbalances, toxicity, and excess algal biomass. As a result, a wide range of current or potential designated beneficial uses – including aquatic habitat, drinking water supply, groundwater recharge, and agricultural supply - are not being supported in these waterbodies, and therefore these impairments constitute a serious water quality problem. This project identifies the water quality impairments and describes a plan to achieve water quality objectives and ultimately restore the designated beneficial uses of surface waters.
Final TMDL Documents
- State Board Resolution No. 2014-0008
- Regional Board Resolution No. R3-2013-0008 and Basin Plan Amendment
- TMDL Report
- October 13, 2015 - USEPA approves the Lower Salinas River Watershed Nutrient TMDL
- June 10, 2014 - Fact Sheet #2
- May 7, 2014 - OAL approves the Lower Salinas River Watershed Nutrient TMDL
- February 4, 2014 - State Water Resources Control Board approves the Lower Salinas River Watershed Nutrient TMDL
- March 14, 2013 - Central Coast Water Board approves Lower Salinas River Watershed Nutrient TMDL
- Staff Report
(A summary of the TMDL project for Water Board members and the interested public)
- Resolution No. R3-2013-0008 and Basin Plan Amendment (The resolution is an action item the Water Board votes on to adopt the basin plan amendment)
- Project Report (A technical report that provides the scientific and policy-basis for the TMDL)
- CEQA Checklist and Analysis
- Scientific Peer Review and Staff Responses
- Public Comments and Staff Responses
- Staff Report (A summary of the TMDL project for Water Board members and the interested public)
- November 28, 2011 - Fact Sheet #1
For Additional Information
- Many or all of the documents available on this webpage are presented in a Portable Document Format (PDF). You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view these documents. You can download the latest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader, free of charge, by clicking here.
Subscribe to our Email Lists
- To be notified of updates and meetings regarding this TMDL please subscribe to the Lower Salinas River-Reclamation Canal Basin Nutrient TMDL email subscription list
- Pete Osmolovsky
Status and Public Notices
- Status: Report Card - October 2014
- Public Notice: None at this time.
- Central Coast Water Board
- approved March 14, 2013.
- State Water Resources Control Board
- approved February 4, 2014.
- Office of Administrative Law (OAL)
- approved May 7, 2014, which is the effective date.
- US Environmental Protection Agency
- approved October 13, 2015.