Environmental Laboratory Assessments
Assessments by Third-Party Assessment (TPA) Agencies
Any laboratory can have an assessment performed by an approved third-party provider from the list provided below. Laboratories requesting assessment of “sophisticated technologies” as defined in Section 68401.00 of the California Code of Regulations must have their assessments performed by a third-party provider. Laboratories will pay the provider its market rate for services provided.
New to having your laboratory’s assessment performed by a TPA? Visit the Roadmap to ELAP Accreditation webpage where you can view an overview webinar, read FAQs, and view a map of the process. The Memorandum of Understanding agreement that defines the service terms TPAs must follow is also a useful document to familiarize yourself with.
Assessments by ELAP
Laboratories without sophisticated technologies may choose to have their assessment performed by ELAP staff. The cost of ELAP assessments are listed below. Laboratories will receive an invoice for the service(s) when the assessment is scheduled. Please do not pay for an assessment ahead of time or combine your assessment fee with your accreditation fee.
|Assessment of Main Laboratory||$5,000|
|Assessment of Satellite/Mobile Laboratory||$2,500 each|
|Assessment for Change of Laboratory Location||$5,000|
|Assessment for Adding Field(s) of Accreditation to a Renewal Assessment (Includes Assessment of Main Laboratory)||$6,000|
|Assessment for Adding Field(s) of Accreditation as Standalone Items||$5,000|
Request an Assessment by ELAP
To request an assessment by ELAP, follow the instructions below:
- Determine which type of assessment(s) your laboratory needs.
- Initial Assessment – for new laboratories not currently accredited by ELAP
- Renewal Assessment – for laboratories currently accredited who are not requesting any changes to the current Fields of Accreditation
- Amendment Assessment – for any laboratory request to add or reinstate Fields of Accreditation, changing location, or adding a satellite or mobile laboratory to a current accreditation
- Determine when you are going to schedule the assessment.
- Initial Assessment – can be scheduled at any time
- Renewal Assessment – can schedule beginning on your annual fee due date (one year after the start date on your certificate)
- Amendment Assessment – can schedule anytime
- Fill out the ELAP Assessment Request Form
- Fill out the Fields of Accreditation tables for the subgroups you want assessed.
- Submit the ELAP Assessment Request Form and Fields of Accreditation forms to email@example.com with the subject line: “[TYPE of ASSESSMENT] Assessment Request – LAB NAME, Certificate #xxxx”. For example: “Renewal Assessment Request – ABC Laboratory, Certificate #1234”. For initial assessment requests, the certificate number is not required.
Assessments for Amendment Applications
A completed assessment is required with an amendment application when requesting new Fields of Accreditation be added to a laboratory’s accreditation, location change, or the addition of a satellite or mobile laboratory to an existing accreditation. The assessment requirement for an amendment application may be waived by ELAP if the laboratory shows that the amendment would not affect the quality of data (CCR 64808.15i). This waiver may be considered in situations such as adding an additional compound for a method the laboratory is already accredited for or reinstating a Field of Accreditation that was denied or revoked for a non-technical reason, such as an administrative error. Contact ELAP at firstname.lastname@example.org if you believe your amendment application may qualify for an amendment assessment waiver.