The Office of Enforcement Fraud, Waste, and Abuse Prevention
The goal of the Fraud, Waste, and Abuse Prevention (Fraud Prevention) Unit is to deter claimants and contractors from submitting false, misleading, or inflated invoices to the Underground Storage Tank Cleanup Fund (UST Cleanup Fund). The Fraud Prevention Unit investigates and develops cases to refer to the State Attorney General's Office or other prosecutorial agencies for criminal and/or civil prosecution. In addition, the State Water Resources Control Board has the authority to prosecute cases administratively. Misrepresentations submitted to the UST Cleanup Fund by a claimant or consultant in a report, certification, application, invoice, or other document are subject to fines of up to $500,000 for each violation; disqualification of claimants and consultants from further participation in the UST Cleanup Fund; and liability for enforcement and prosecution costs.
Underground Storage Tank Cleanup Fund Enforcement - If you think someone is committing potential fraud or misusing Fund monies, it is important to let us know about it. All allegations of potential fraud are taken seriously, and you can remain anonymous. Please include as much information as possible.
Contact us if you think . . .
- someone is misusing UST Cleanup Fund monies for personal gain;
- someone is intentionally misleading the UST Cleanup Fund for financial gain;
- someone is taking some benefit to “look the other way”
- someone is filing false claims; or
- you're not sure if you should call to report suspicions.
Options for reporting fraud. . .
- Email us at ReportFraud@waterboard.ca.gov
- Call our toll free message line at 1-855-263-0863
- Contact the Office of Enforcement at (916) 341-5272
- Complete our Fraud Reporting Complaint Form and return to us by Email or Fax to (916) 341-5896
More information on the Underground Storage Tank Cleanup Fund
Businesses and Persons Disqualified From Participating in State Water Board Programs
- SB 445 SIGNED INTO LAW New Safeguards in Place to Fight Fraud
- Underground Storage Tank Cleanup Fund Fraud Prevention Factsheet
Click on a year to view the year's news releases.
- State Water Board Settles More Storage Tank Cleanup Fund Claims Related to Alleged Contractor Negligence
- Aqua Science Engineers to pay $50,000, cease work with State Water Board for Alleged Abuses of Storage Tank Fund
- Settlement of Negligence Dispute Bars L.A.-Based Storage Tank Cleanup Firm from Working with the State Water Board
- State Water Board Settles Storage Tank Cleanup Fund Claims Related to Alleged Contractor Negligence, False Information
For Questions or Comments, send an email to:
- Matthew Buffleben
Policies & Guidelines
- Senate Bill 445 (SB 445) Chaptered Law Adding Enforcement Actions to Combat Fraud Against the UST Cleanup Fund
- Licensing Requirements For Professional Engineering and Geology Services
- UST Cleanup Fund Cost Guidelines
- Cleanup Fund Invoicing Requirements