Proposition 1 Groundwater Grant Program
Proposition 1 was passed by voters in November 2014 and provided $900 million for a Groundwater Sustainability Program (Assembly Bill 1471, Chapter 10). The State Water Resources Control Board (State Water Board) will administer $800 million to prevent and cleanup contamination of groundwater that serves (or has served) as a source of drinking water. The funds are available as grants.
The State Water Board adopted the Proposition 1 Groundwater Grant Program Guidelines (Guidelines) on May 18, 2016, and adopted amendments to the Guidelines on December 19, 2017.
- Please note: As indicated in a June 26, 2018 email notification, the deadline to submit Round 2 Concept Proposals is August 3, 2018.
- There is a revised process for Round 2 Funding. Please see 'Applying to Prop1 Groundwater Grant Program (Round 2)' below
- Groundwater Grant Program Final Amended Guidelines - Adopted December 19, 2017
- List of Preliminary Award Projects (updated 09/12/18)
|Guideline and Funding Milestones||Dates|
|Round 1 Grant Agreement Execution Complete||Fall 2018|
|Solicitation for Concept Proposals Opens (Available in FAAST)||April 2018|
|Public Workshops for Applicants||April 2018|
|Solicitation Concept Proposals Closes||August 3, 2018|
|Invitation for Full Proposals||Fall 2018|
|Technical Reviews||Winter 2018|
|Preliminary Awards||Early 2019|
|Grant Agreement Execution||Late 2019|
*Dates are approximate. Please sign-up for email updates to stay informed.
Applying for Prop 1 Groundwater Grant Program (Round 2)
The State Water Board conducted workshops for the Proposition 1 Groundwater Grant Program Round 2 solicitation, on April 19 and April 30, 2018, which provided useful information and guidance regarding how to apply. A recording of the webcast and a copy of the presentation are provided at the following links:
How to Apply
Before applying, please refer to the Helpful Hints for important information regarding eligibility.
Applications are submitted using the Financial Assistance Application Submittal Tool (FAAST). The solicitation in FAAST consists of multiple tabs with text boxes, pull down menus, and multiple choice selections. Applicants will also provide additional information by uploading documents on the Attachments tab.
Eligible applicants should follow the steps below to submit a Concept Proposal:
- Review the Helpful Hints
- Navigate to FAAST website: http://faast.waterboards.ca.gov/
- Create user account (if this is the first time using FAAST)
- Log on by entering your username and password
- Click on Start a New Application
- Read and check boxes for the System Disclosures
- Choose the Proposition 1 Groundwater Grant Program – Planning/Implementation Concept Proposal (RFP)
- Fill out requested information on each tab
- Click on the Attachments tab and upload the following documents as appropriate:
- Submit application
If you need assistance, please contact the FAAST Help Desk between 8:00 am and 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday, at 1-866-434-1083 or FAAST_ADMIN@waterboards.ca.gov. All emails should include the subject line "Proposition 1 Groundwater Grant Program – Concept Proposal" and the FAAST Proposal Identification Number (PIN) if known.
Templates and Information for Recipients
Please use these templates in preparing the following deliverables:
More information regarding the above deliverables and other grant agreement requirements can be accessed in the presentation and recording from the June 2018 Grant Agreement Kickoff Webinar:
- June 2018 Grant Agreement Kickoff Webinar - Presentation
- June 2018 Grant Agreement Kickoff Webinar - Video Recording
- December 19, 2017 Board Meeting Agenda (see Item No. 3 regarding Guidelines Adoption)
- Groundwater Grant Program Draft Amended Guidelines - Redline Version, December 2017
- GWGP Prop 1, Preliminary Award Projects - MEDIA RELEASE
- Prop 1 DRAFT Implementation Grant Agreement Template - April 2018
- Prop 1 DRAFT Planning Grant Agreement Template - April 2018
- Groundwater Grant Program Final Guidelines - as amended by the Deputy Director
- Groundwater Proposition 1 June 2016 Workshop Presentation
- Non-substantive changes were made to the Guidelines twice after the May 18, 2016 Board Meeting. These changes were made under the authority of the Deputy Director and are available in the redline versions below:
- State Water Board Adopted Groundwater Grant Program Guidelines - May 18, 2016 (old version)
- Public Comments on Draft Guidelines - Due April 1, 2016
- Groundwater Grant Program Public Draft Guidelines - February 2016
- Second Revised Public Notice for Draft Guidelines, Public Workshops, and Board Adoption Meeting - April 2016
- Groundwater Quality Funding Programs Presentation - March 2016
- Groundwater Quality Funding Programs Presentation - November 2015
- Proposition 1 Groundwater Scoping Questions
- Public Comments on the Staff Discussion Document/Proposed Scope - November 2015
- Proposition 1 Groundwater Scoping Questions - June 2015
- Documents for Public Comments - June 30, 2015