Statewide Mercury Program
Mercury in California's Waters – Supporting Documentation
On January 14, 2015, Professor Alex Horne at University of California, Berkeley presented information on in-reservoir mercury management options.
- Presentation: Planning for Statewide Mercury Program for Reservoirs
Water Board staff held several small meetings with Tribes and stakeholder groups to inform them on the purpose and the initial scope of the proposed mercury amendment, and to gather feedback to aid in the development of the draft regulatory proposal.
- Focus group handout, provided a summary of program options under consideration and background
- Slides presented during the meetings
On October 9, 2014, Water Board staff presented at the 29th annual CALMS meeting on the Statewide Mercury Control Program for Reservoirs and proposed in-reservoir mercury management options.
- Statewide Mercury Control Program for Reservoirs Overview
- Statewide Mercury Control Program for Reservoirs Study Options
Dr. Fraser Shilling at University of California, Davis gathered information on the type and amounts of fish that California Native American Tribes use today and used traditionally. This project was funded by State Water Resources Control Board and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.
On November 1, 2013, Water Board staff presented at the 33rd International Symposium on important factors influencing predatory fish mercury concentrations in California reservoirs.
- Important Factors Influencing Predatory Fish Mercury Concentrations in California Reservoirs: A Statistical Approach
- Reservoir Management Strategies to Reduce Fish Mercury Levels: An Integral Part of the Statewide Reservoir Mercury TMDL
On September 26, 2013, Water Board staff gave a presentation at the EPA Region 9 State-of-the-Science Workshop on mercury remediation in aquatic environments as it relates to historic mines and other factors.
- Fish Mercury Impairment in California Reservoirs: Historic Mines and Other Factors
- A complete archive of the EPA workshop
During the April 23, 2013 State Water Board Meeting, Water Board staff presented an update on recently adopted TMDLs and on the developing Statewide Mercury Program.
- CEQA Scoping Notice
- Public Scoping Presentation
- Project Summary
- Control Program for Mercury in California's Reservoirs Introductory fact sheet
- Public Comments Received
Water Board staff presented background information and several options for the mercury objectives during a public meeting.