Wastewater Operator Certification Program
Exemption Of Class I Wastewater Treatment Plants
Requirements for Exemption of Class I Wastewater Treatment Plant (WWTP)
An owner of a Class I WWTP may apply to the Office of Operator Certification (OOC) for an exemption from the operator certification requirements for a Class I WWTP, if the WWTP could not, due to operator error, violate water quality objectives. Notices of exemption for a Class I WWTP are valid for four years from the issue date.
- The owner must submit a complete Exemption of Class I WWTP application (see Applying for Exemption of Class I WWTP below) to the OOC with required documents and appropriate fees.
- The owner must provide a copy of the Exemption of Class I WWTP application (see Applying for Exemption of Class I WWTP below) to the appropriate Regional Water Quality Control Board (Regional Water Board).
- The OOC will consult with the Regional Water Board and may conduct an inspection before approving or denying the Exemption of Class I WWTP application.
- Within 60 days of receipt of a complete Exemption of Class I WWTP application, the OOC will issue a notice of exemption or inform the owner of the reason the notice of exemption was denied.
- If the application is denied, the owner has 365 days from the date of denial to staff the WWTP with certified operators of appropriate grade level.
Applying for Exemption of Class I Wastewater Treatment Plant (WWTP)
Submit the following items:
- An original Exemption of Class I WWTP application with the original signature of the owner of the WWTP or the owner’s authorized representative, with:
- A copy of the employee organization chart indicating each operator’s Grade;
- The name of the Regional Water Board overseeing the wastewater treatment plant and a copy of the current waste discharge requirements issued by the State Water Resources Control Board or Regional Water Board;
- A description and schematic of the wastewater treatment plant showing all wastewater treatment and solids handling processes including a flow diagram showing design flows and present flows for all wastewater treatment processes and a solids balance diagram for the solids handling processes;
- An evaluation of the operations of the wastewater treatment plant signed and stamped by a California registered professional chemical, civil, or mechanical engineer. The engineer shall identify potential operator errors, evaluate the potential effects of the identified operator errors on the operation of the wastewater treatment plant, and determine whether the operator errors could cause the wastewater treatment plant to violate water quality objectives; and
- A non-refundable $800 application fee (check or money order made payable to the “State Water Resources Control Board”).
- Send application and the fee to the address below:
State Water Resources Control Board
Wastewater Operator Certification
P.O. Box 944212
1001 I Street, 17th Floor
Sacramento, CA 94244-2120
(Note: Exemption Application fees are not refundable.)
Notice of Expiration of an Exemption for Class I Wastewater Treatment Plant (WWTP)
OOC will send a written notice to the exempt WWTP 60 days prior to the expiration date of the certificate. Failure to receive notice does not relieve the owner’s responsibility for renewing an exemption on or before the expiration date.
Exemption Renewal for Class I Wastewater Treatment Plant (WWTP)
The owner must submit a renewal application for exemption 30 days before the expiration date and a $300 renewal fee (non-refundable).
Within 30 days of receipt of a completed exemption renewal application, the OOC will renew or deny the exemption.
If a renewal application is received after 30 days of the expiration date, the owner must pay a $100 late fee in addition to the renewal fee.If the OOC denies the Renewal Application, the owner of the WWTP has 365 days from the date of denial to staff the WWTP with certified operators of the appropriate grade level.
Questions or Comments?
If you have additional questions, please contact the Office of Operator Certification at firstname.lastname@example.org or (916) 341-5819, select #5.